RAD51C - does anyone know anything about it?

Hi Everyone

I had triple negative breast cancer 12 years ago at the age of 39.  My daughter had a malignant melanoma at the age of 21.  Because of this and other cancers in the family I had genetic testing which although negative for BRAC1 and 2 showed positive for RAD51C.

My genetic counseller advised (after taking advice from the scientist) that I should have my ovaries removed and referred me accordingly.  My gynaecologist had never heard of RAD51C and neither had the breast surgeon who I saw to discuss a reconstruction or the breast care nurse who I rang for advice and there is nothing to give guidelines on the internet.  My daughter who is 29 has recently had the test done and she has also tested positive for RAD51C but negative for the others and they have said that she can have screening from age 35.

I am due to have my ovaries removed on 5 January but am very unsure whether to proceed as I don’t want to have unescessary surgeon but then on the other hand I am also thinking they would not be offering to do it if they did not feel it necessary but as I cannot find any advice or guidelines on the internet I am totally confused!

If anyone knows anything about this gene I would be really really grateful if they could let me know.

Many thanks Linda

Hi Linda,

I am sorry to hear that there has been so much confusion as to whether this surgery is necessary or not. 

I am sure some of our users will be along to share their knowledge and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

You may also like to try posting on our ‘Ask our Nurses’ board which I have linked below.

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Ask-Our-Nurses/ct-p/Asknurses

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita