RADS and smellies

Hi all How did you guys manage without ‘Anti Stink’ during your Rads. It really bothers me ,also as I am on the tubby side , I cannot stand the thought of being sweaty and stinky. Have to have five weeks, looks like it’s gonna be through summer months ’ being optimistic’. Still waiting for appt which again drives me mad , I feel I have no say in my life at present. I have a lot of pent up anger and need a good scream , also a b/dy good cry. Since i was diagnosed in Oct and had op Nov, It seems such an eternity , will it ever end. ??? I’m also a bit scared of what I will be like when all the treatment does come to an end. Any tips of all you brave lot and if you have done it with patient and fortitude let me know. Hate the world and it’s mother at the moment. Moan, moan moan.
Love to all Bobbiexxxx Do I need a kick up the backside???

Hi Bobbie - No, you don’t need a kick up the backside, just the chance to have that scream and cry and let it all out, it feels so much better afterwards - even if you only “scream” on here! I am sort of at the same stage as you, as I had surgery in November as well. Have been OK most of the time, but certainly had a wobbly on the day I went for my radiotherapy planning. Then yesterday I had to have some fluid drained from my breast (nothing to do with the radiotherapy apparently), and I was in a very pathetic state afterwards. Fortunately the nurses were lovely with their cups of tea and sympathy - I realised it was not really to do with what was happening then (although I did feel awful), but just feeling thoroughly sorry for myself in a cumulative sort of a way! So, it gets to us all sometimes, we would hardly be human if it didn’t. Hope your appointment comes through soon, all this waiting around doesn’t do us much good either. We are all patient and have great fortitude most of the time - I bet you are as well - but sometimes it’s just too overwhelming and frustrating. Be easy on yourself!

As for the no deodorant side of the rads (I’ve had 10 out of 30), - well, I just use it on the other side and hope it will waft around, and perfume around my hair (should say fluff!) line - or perhaps you could use a body spray on the rest of you avoiding the treatment area? I still have a daily bath, though no soap. Suppose it does something! In truth I bet it’s something you are more conscious of (not being able to use a deodorant) than anyone around you would be - all the advertisers have done far too an effective job of selling their products! Very best of luck, and please let us know how you get on. Love Sarah xx

Sorry you are feeling so down - it does all get too much at times doesn’t it!

You can still use deo on the none-treatment side, and to be honest I think the treatment side gets messed about with so much it doesn’t actually sweat - perhaps it knows to behave itself! I used simple soap or shower gel throughout my treatment and had a bath every day, and to the best of my knowledge I didn’t stink too badly.

I hope you manage to get an appointment soon - try calling them to ask if they have an idea when you are going to get started - tell them you want to plan a weekend away and need a rough guide at least … my rads unit was fantastic and most helpful and I’m sure your’s will be too.

Hi Bobbie
dont worry at all, the radio staff are absolutely lovely at coventry and i was really worried about smelling but i never did, try carrying baby wipes with you, then just as you arrive you could wipe your arm pits in the ladies!!! honest every thing will be fine x x x

Hi,
I used PIT ROK stick deodorant. …and still do…completely natural…available from BOOTS, ASDA…was allowed to use it on treatment side as well.

Karen x

Hi Bobbie
Don’t let all those pent up emotions get the better of you…let them out, you will always feel better.

I didn’t use any deodorant during my rads. After a week or two the sweat glands get knocked out and don’t work. The staff are well used to this kind of thing anyway so don’t be worried. I was told not to shave under that arm either which I was a bit concerned about too. However, the rads also knock out the hair follicles so almost a month after my rads I have a lovely smooth armpit!!!

Hang on in there once you get started you’ll be just fine.
x

hi i have had 9 rads i too am conscious of smelling warn everyone to sit on opposite side to treated area, but i don’t think i smell !!! if i do everyone is being very kind,

You are a wonderful crowd!!! Going through all kinds of S H one T yourseles but still have time and energy to soothe your cybermates. Thanks for all your thoughts and tips , God knows what i would do without this site. I AM NOT ON MY OWN!!! love and ((((((hugs))))) to all Bobbiexx