RANT ALERT - HATE MY HAIR!

I am hating the new hair!
It’s too short and does not suit me!
Finished chemo on the 1st April, and it is taking ages and ages to grow back!

I really miss my old hair, want to use my hairdryer and staighteners and do my hair properly!

Rant over!

Have a good day all…xx

p.s cloudy and grey in the North West AGAIN!
p.p.s No-one mention how great Kylie Minogues hair is, as that is all i seem to be getting at the mo!

Naz,

You rant all you like hun !!!

I have my first chemo on monday, so am gettin ready to lose all mine soon, daughter has already claimed my straighteners & hairdryer.

Cloudy in yorkshie too - but hopefuly sun will come out again like yesterday, hope it brightens up for you.

Have a good day

Tracey xxxxxx

P.S. I’m sure that Kylie has had hair extensions - it can’t have grown that much !!!

Hi guys!
Why does everyone say how amazing her hair is? I’ve noticed that recently too. Obviously, she is very lucky. I still have mine but I am due to start chemo soon as well and am wondering whether to just go and get it all chopped off in preparation. I’ve always had long hair so wonder what it will look like being so short, or totally non existant?!

Naz I’m also in the North West - it’s always raining here! Do something nice today and make yourself feel better - failing that, go and get some Galaxy Counters - I just discovered them and they are so yummy!

Katie xxx

Had last chemo 10 days ago. My head is a mess, tuffs of grey (why grey I was brown before?) over bald head, bits of fuzz on the side and I miss my long lovely hair so much. I reckon it’s going to take years to grow it back to its original state. Taking supplements, pro amino & vitamin B complex, magnesium and silica.
But it’s depressing. Not having eyelashes or eyebrows does not help. Urgh!
And if one more yummy mummy on the school run tells me not to worry it will grow back soon, I am going to scream or burst into tears…

Oh, bless you Tina. I don’t get that either -why grey? Does it stay grey or does the natural colour come back again? I think the eye lash and eye brown thing is scary too - I can’t imagine what I’m going to look like! Suppose we’ll find out soon enough!

How irritating are the yummy mummy comments!

Take care xxx

Will get colour in my hair as soon as possible, been told to wait six months and use organic colour afterwards. Can’t wait. Had my hair cut to no.2 after first fec used cc and hope long term it will help with regrowth. I bought a wig from Hairware, they have a lot of choice and went blonde for a change. Also got used to wearing buffs and hats, always made sure I had my make up done. Bunny1, I couldn’t imagine either what I would look like before the hair went and when it did, it was the first time I cried after my dx. But it’s a journey and we all come out the other end and if the hair is the sacrifice for killing the cancer cells than so be it. My personal take on it. My I still have “hair envy” and hate watching the ads on the telly,…! Good Luck and big hug! Tina

i have just got little shoots on mine using hair food at the minute seems realy soft got it from chemist in liverpool you keep ranting thunderstorms for northwest hoping the sun will cum out at 5 gud for hair growth

I miss my hair every day! Even though I have been bald since May, each time I catch sight of myself in a mirror I do a double take - I look like a franciscan monk!
Tomorrow I am off to buy wig number 6… I live in hope…hoping for something that doesnt feel like a helmet with a big neon sign that screams WIG.
Hot, hot, hot in the South East - so wig stays off and I stay home.

I have been bald since February, and it is finally growing back following my last chemo on 3 Jun. Of course everything else seems to be growing back faster than the hair on my head!! I need to shave my legs and underarms already (even though I can’t manage it because I just had reconstructive surgery) and even had to pluck a hair under my chin! But I am still losing the last of my eyelashes and eye brows. It just doesn’t seem fair!
However, I haven’t minded being bald too much and got lots of compliments on my scarves and wig. my wig is synthetic and I got it using my NHS prescription. I think it looks incredibly realistic and people often seem surprised when I point out it is a wig, initially even telling e what a great haircut I had had. I don’t wear it much now though as it is rather hot. Once I have enough hair I shall take the wig to the hairdresser and have my own hair cut and coloured just like it!

Jacqui

Can I ask where to go for headscarves and beanies? THere are so many sites on the internet but I would rather go somewhere tried and tested! Thanks everyone xxx

ps. I can’t believe I’m doing this? It’s surreal!

Hi all,
I have just had my long hair cut to a short bob to get me and everyone else used to me having shorter hair if it falls out in chemo. I actually prefer my hair shorter but never dared to do it earlier- wish I had. As I have quite a fat oval face- am not looking forward to going bald as the pixie style will not do, but am hoping to learn some tricks with scarves and oversized earrings as personally I don’t think I could stand a wig on my head. I am hoping to go for a gypsy fortune teller look :wink:
Please don’t feel bad for ranting on here- that’s what it’s for isn’t it??
Love and hugs
Sallyann XX

Has anyone tried going for hair extensions?? I have an appointment next week to see if they will work on my hair - currently about 1.5 inches long and wild and wavy! Get money off too with having been a cancer patient.

Hi Bunny,
I bought my scarves from theindiashop.com they were great and reasonably priced at 12 pounds for 3 scarves and 3 co-ordinating silk accent scarves.

Sally Anne,
I also bought lots of big earrings and spent more time than usual doing my makeup.
Jacqui

Hi, bought hats from hats4heads, wig from hairware, bought oxford comfy’s via amazon, as good as buffs but cheaper, suburban turban has a good selection, too. And yes, it is surreal. My parallel universe as I call it.

Whitey - I have never had hair extensions, so can’t speak from experience - but I would have thought as the new hair is still very fragile that the extensions would be likely to pull it out or break it off. Maybe someone has tried this and can offer some advice.

Tina -I finished chemo in April and dyed my hair last week with a vegetable dye (naturetint). It’s fine - not as nice a colour as the ones I used to use, but way better than the grey! I still lose more hair than I used to pre BC every time I wash it - but I don’t think that has got any worse since I dyed it.

Hi guys
Glad it isn’t just me who is fed up of the hair and has hair envy!
I can’t even watch the haoir adverts, or even look at anyone who has remotely decent looking hair, i am so envious…

The people i have seen since i dared to bare my head have said that the short look suits me, but i disagree - it is hideous!

I think i might ask my hairdresser aobut hair extensions later on, although i do not want to put any stress on my already delicate hair.

Defo agree about the ‘yummy mummy’ comments - doesn’t make me feel any better…and Kylie …well i know she has gone through it all, and she does look nice,but i am so envious of her hair…

Finty , did you dye your hair yourself? Is it okay? I also finsished chemo in April and would love to have a dye on to cover the grey bits, but too scared at the mo.

Raining AGAIN in the NW, now i have SE envy too!

NASREEN X

Hi Naz - yes I did it myself, and it’s been fine. It seems quite gentle on the hair. I still had quite a lot of hair from using the cold cap, and the new growth from where it had thinned seemed quite strong. I guess I didn’t even notice the downy phase.

I actually quite like having really short hair - I’ve never been much into my hair anyway - this way I can do even less! Also I’ve always liked the spiky hair and glasses look - and now thanks to chemo I have the glasses as well!

Glad you like your new look Finty…that is great!

I guess i wil get used to mine eventually, especially when it gets bit longer…better than being bald that is for sure!

How much hair do you have, if you don’t mind me asking?

I had it cut to about 1" all over before chemo as advised for the cold cap - and a couple weeks ago I cut the hair that survived chemo to be the same length as the new growth - having it two different lengths was really annoying me. Now it’s all about 1.5 inches long - it looks short, but like it was meant to be cut short if you know what I mean - not like it was shaved and growing out. Plus it has come back as thick as it was before, and now I am back to using proper shampoo and conditioner, it looks in good condition too - far better than I anticipated at the start of chemo.

I hope you get used to your new look soon. I think I found it easier to adapt because I didn’t put any effort into my hair before, and if anything it looks better now than it did when it was longer! I’m probably a lot older than you too!

Ebay seller abyan7 based in Indonesia does really nice ‘different’ head coverings - I saved some hair due to the cold cap, but had quite a few ‘I can’t be bothered’ days when I wore a variety of these and always got really favourable comments. She’s widened her range since I used her last year - the type I had were like current (20 Jul 10) item 390219233366. I thoroughly recommend her!!

I also used Bonnytoun Hats (Sandra Rook has been thru chemo and hair loss and sends fabric swatches and sample hat styles) and Luscious Lids (I like dthe colours but the turbans were ‘OK’ and didn’t get much use).

Good luck!!