RECENTLY DIAGNOSED

Hi everybody

I was diagnosed on the 6th November. I had been for my routine mammagram and got recalled. I had to have a core biopsy. When I went back for results was told it was caught early 8mm and treatable. But I am okay sometimes and then so low.I cant wait to get my surgery done , which is on 5th December. Just need to get this out of me.I am also having SNB at same time. My consultant says this is done even though ultra sound showed alright. I have also got to have radiothrapy. I hope when I get my final results I dont have to have anything else.

Kath xx

Hi kath,
Sorry to hear your also on the breast cancer emotional roller coaster too…you will have good days and bad days but as time goes on and you get over each hurdle you will start to feel much better and in control again. Its good that it been caught early and yes its routine to have SNB at the same time so try not to look into things too much (easier said than done) this is a great forum to be, I had a mastectomy 3 weeks ago luckily my nodes were clear and they managed to clear all the cancer so I only need radiotherapy which starts on saturday and tamoxifen tablets but this forum has helped me so much as im sure it will you. Im sure there will be some more ladies along soon to give you words of encouragement.
((((Hugs)))) xx

I had WLE and SNB after a recall from a routine mammo, so I know exactly what sort of state you are likely to be in, mentally. Yes, your emotions will be all over the place. It’s such a shock and it’s all so frightening.

I had my dx (diagnosis) in Feb 2012, WLE/SNB on 22 Feb. SNB results on 6 March clear nodes BUT grade 3, so asked if I would like to have chemo. What a decision! (and another huge shock as it hadn’t been mentioned up to this point!!) I eventually declined it. Radio therapy April/May 2012 - 15 sessions. Now on Zoladex (2 years) and Tamoxifen (5 years)  hormone therapies.

I’m only telling you all this because I’m now back at work and almost back to ‘normal’, with just the occassional panic and a few minor, mildly annoying SEs from hormone therapy/scar tissue. I started a phased return to work in June 2012, and was back up to my full timetable by September (I work in a school, so I had August off anyway!)  

I know messages from people who had come out of the other side of treatment and were NED (No Evidence of Disease) helped me when I was 1st dx, so I’m hoping this will help you.

It seems terrifying from where you are now, but you WILL get through it, and be well supported by your breast cancer care team and everyone on here. Cry when you need to - don’t try to be too brave - but also notice and enjoy the things that make you happy!

Good luck. Hugs.

I don’t even know how to begin this as I feel I have fallen down the rabbit hole and found myself in a pertifying other world.

After 5 inconclusive biopsies a lump (1.9mm) ectomy confirmed grade 3 (that’s bad I now realise) invasive ductal carcinoma.  It’s oestrogen positive (just) and I am being advised to have chemotherapy the idea of which is frightening beyond words.  As someone who has always tried to follow natural alternatives the idea of the very scariest heavy duty drugs makes me feel sick before I get near them.

I realise there are so many of you out there and want to send my very best thoughts but at the moment I feel almost frozen with fear.  Is it inevitable that this disease returns?  Is it worth having chemo?  How risky is it?Does diet help or am I imposing this mad dietary regime on myself  pointlessly.

So sorry for my selfishness but I promise to contribute more helpfully when I feel a bit braver. Sue

Hi SW1

Welcome to the forum where I’m sure you will find a lot of support from fellow members.

As well as the support on here you could also give our helpline a call for information and support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Lizzy22 you sound as if you have a similiar diagnosis to me.  I had my lumpectomy yesterday, still feeling a bit shell shocked, but Ok.  If you read the threads on here you will see most of us go through a whole range of emotions.  As I left hospital at lunchtime today, I felt a bit weepy as well as feeling elated that it had gone so well.  I hope you have people around you who can take good care of you.