cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT with temporary implant

13 REPLIES 13

Re: RT with temporary implant

Hi Janey,

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence then please do give our helpline team a ring, they're here to support you.  Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open today 10am - 2pm and weekdays 9-5.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Janey

Sorry nobody has picked up on this post so far and that you've got to make yet another decision. It is not clear from your post if your saline implant is temporary or permanent, i am assuming it is a permanent one.  I can only say how my breast has been affected by rads.  I had Chemo first (to shrink 6.5cm linear tumour on outside of right breast) then mx with immediate tissue expander implant under chest muscle.  This was filled pretty quickly so that i could have rads x15.  This was during August, from two directions and with no cover as the implant is to replaced by a permanent silicone one. Throughout the rads i did exercises to keep the muscles / skin streched.  I have found there has been slight tightening of the skin / muscle and If anything i found it tightened the scar more. .This was helped by scar massage using aqueous cream. I am only 10 weeks post rads but there doesn't appear to be any change to shape / size of expander to date and i continue to do the exercises / swim (for last 6 weeks) and massage to keep muscle / skin supple in prep for futher surgery early next year.  Hope this is helpful, as you say, you definately want to get rid of any pesky cells that may be looking for a new home.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best as you continue with your treatment.

Gilly x.

Hi
I had left mastectomy with immediate saline implant reconstruction and right side reduction.
Unfortunately my tumour in the left breast was so near to the skin so they could not get a clear margin so I have been given two options.
The first is to have radiotherapy after my chemo or further surgery with skin taken from my back.
What a decision!
If I chose the radiotherapy then I have been told that I will have a reduced dose over 5 weeks instead of 4 weeks and the radiotherapy will be targeted to just that affected area and not the full breast. Some type of cover will be used to protect my implant.
If I have surgery it means more scars and quite honestly I have enough due to having an ANC prior to reconstruction.
My surgeon advised that both methods are safe and should remove any pesky cells that may be there.
Not really happy about either but so scared Radiotherapy will affect my implant and cause nasty Se's
Would appreciate any advice regarding radiotherapy with implant.

Thanks Janey xxxxxxx

Hi Billy

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain them and yes, it makes sense.

Thank you too for the good vibes I will post my progress...

Good to hear that you are doing well after rt and good luck for the surgery.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Mary

Correction on that I am nearly 10 weeks on now. Had 15 sessions rads during August.  Gilly x  

Morning Mary.

The exercises were recommended by Physiotherapist linked to Radiotherapy Dept on commencing rads.

all done lay flat on floor or bed.  some shoulder lifts to loosen up then  1. Take arm (stretched out straight) from your side through the air leading with your thumb until your arm is next to your ear completely flat.  Holding for 20 seconds repeat 10 times.    2.  arm (stretched out straight) palm up take out to side (like wings, keeping hand contact with floor) right up so your arm touches your ear again Holding for 20 seconds repeat 10 times.   3. Hands at the back of your head (elbows bent) close arms slowly until elbows meet Holding 20 seconds repeat 10 times.  Hope i've explained them ok but your rads dept may offer info session with Physio.

The exercises are very basic but did get more difficult towards the end of rads and it did feel like just another time consuming thing (they would take 20/30 mins 2/3 times per day).  I am 8 weeks on from end of rads and have been swimming also for the last 6 weeks.  I am really pleased that i have recovered a full range of movement in my arm but i continue to do the exercises 'cos i want to give myself the best opportunity of everything getting as physically near to how i was before and i still have some more surgery to go in 3/4 months.  Currently got a tissue expander in and due to have it exchanged for silicone and left breast lifted / reduced for symmetry in about 3/4 months!!!  

Will be thinking of you Mary tomorrow starting rads.  Take Care   Gilly x      

Hi   Billy

I'd be very interested in what exercises you were advised to do during rt. I am starting tomorrow and have not been advised about special exercises at all.

Thank you

Mary 

Evening Jude

Sorry i wasn't clear on the time , i was only able to pick back up swimming 10 days after rads.  You are so right onc said no during Chemo due to risk of infection then i had surgery then rads and again no swimming  through either of these.  First time back in pool i lay there for about an hour. I am now 9/10 weeks post rads and still overdosing on the swimming. 

Take Care

Gilly x

Highlighted

Gilly,

You sound to be doing really well. Interesting that you swim regularly, as my oncologist was very clear from my first meeting with him that he advised against swimming whilst undergoing treatment - both chemo & rads.

I am really looking fowarded to getting back in the pool once surgery to my other side settles.

Also that you were given different exercises post rads - it really is amazing how we are given such differing advice isn't it!

Jude

Evening T.

I have expander following mx June 2013, had Chemo November 2012 - End Feb 2013.  Surgeon did say she prefers patients not to have rads but Onc recommended based on size grade etc of tumour.  I had 15 sessions throughout August with minimal se's.  (little bit pink / burning / bit tired but nothing major).  At the start of rads i saw the Physiotherapist who advised specific exercises (different from the ones following surgery) to keep skin / muscles surrounding the breast area supple and to apply aqueous cream 2/3 times per day.  I did all of this and continue to, have seen Physio since and there has been some minimal tightening to skin / muscle / expander.  I continue to do the exercises, she massages the area and has shown me how to do this. It is quite specific massage stretching the scars and keeping everything supple ready for the expander to be exchanged. I also swim 3/4 times per week which i believe has been helpful. The plan is to have the left side lifted and reduced slightly to match when she exchanges the expander for a permanent silicone ...... I am hoping for this Feb / March 2014.  So it looks like not an ideal situation to have rads with expander but my treatment is all going ahead as planned and the scars are healed / no abcess / fading really quickly with the massage and cream application, the Surgeon is happy with how things are going. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery from rads. Take Care. Gilly x         

Hi Jude
Thank you for this positive reply. Has given me confidence that things can still progress as planned. As I have only just completed the RT it is early days to ascertain if there will be problems with the expander. Breast is still red and sore at present. Wishing you a speedy recovery from the 2nd side.
T x

Tanguy,
My BS takes a different view. i had a tissue expander fitted during MX operation in February, in the knowledge that I would be having rads after chemo. The expander was two thirds filled during the operation and I haven't had any further saline added since (my choice). Two weeks ago to provide the best symmetry and for piece of mind, I had a MX to the other side with an expander, so am currently getting over the surgery.

I had fifteen rad treatments completed 8weeks ago without any apparent effects on the tissue expander, and based on his experience my surgeon feels that negative effects can be over stated. Hope that this helps.

Jude

Hi Tanguy
I am sure your fellow users will be along with support and shared experiences soon, in addition our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call

Take care
Lucy BCC

RT with temporary implant

Hello Ladies, have just joined you all, we are a special bunch! I have a question on implant recon and RT. I had a Mx and immediate recon with a temporary expandable implant back in June. The idea was to replace it with the perm one as soon as inflation was complete. However it turns out I needed RT which wasn't originally in the plan but they found quite a bit more tumour in the removed breast. My surgeon says had he known I would need the RT would have done things differently?? I have just finished the 25 sessions of RT and still have the expandable implant in.am hoping that it can now just be exchanged for the perm one in a few months. Has anyone else gone this route of recon, it seems I. Can't find much info on RT with implants in place other than its not recomended, which is a bit late for me.
A x