1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Race for Life.. I want to do more....

18 REPLIES 18
jet1202

Re: Race for Life.. I want to do more....

HI
anyone doing the race for life in brighton on june 21st????

Lily200

Hi
I went privately (down South though) after my GP said to get it checked out and didn't want to wait for NHS appointment.Went home at 4pm and rang, got a private appointment the next day and had a dx in 2 hours. They transferred me back to the NHS, left private hospital at 7pm and I was in having a FNA on the NHS with the same surgeon, even same BCN at 10 am the next day. By the time my NHS appointment came I was waiting for surgery.
Go for it if you can manage financially. My bill was £350 for 4 mammos, ultrasound with another consultant, 2 consultations, FNB and lab results in 15 minutes plus at least an hour tlc after the dx. This may or may not be typical but it saved me weeks.
Hope this helps and lots of luck to everyone on here
Lily x

Guest user
Not applicable

Can I ask how much you or your friend paid to go private? Sorry for hijacking your thread Lisa!

A

Guest user
Not applicable

I can't comment personally about the waiting list for stirling royal - I went to private to Abbey Kings Park in Stirling by using my works private medical and was seen within 3 days. I do know that another girl at work who found a lump in Dec was told that there was a wait of approx 4 weeks for this area - she also used the private medical and went to Ross Hall in Glasgow.

Given that we are in the same area I would advise you to phone Stirling Royal and ask when you are likely to be seen ... lay it on thick if needs be.

Guest user
Not applicable

Just when you said Edinburgh and signed your intial as A, I wondered if I perhaps knew you - I know someone called Audrey who is doing the Moon Walk too... but you are clearly not her.

Guest user
Not applicable

I am in Dennyloanhead so very near you! I am doing it with my cousin, my best mate and her two friends. Got to say, when I signed up for it didn't expect it to become as issue so close to my heart in such a short space of time!
Ax

Guest user
Not applicable

Yeah I am in Grangemouth - are you doing to Moon Walk on your own or as part of a team?

Guest user
Not applicable

I am just outside Falkirk? You in Scotlandio too?
Angela

Guest user
Not applicable

lady lumps - where do you live - are you close to edinburgh?

Guest user
Not applicable

Girls
I have done the Race for Life before, but this time, it has a deeper meaning for me.
I am honoured to do it for all women this time, and I am on my soapbox pushing all the women I know to do it and get sponsorship.

We want earlier detection opportunities.. and we want it NOW!

(I really need to calm myself down!!!!)

Lisa X

ForumMember

Good luck to all for the run.I was dx at 34,3 yrs ago and have done the race twice its a sad but great experiance.I cried all the way round reading everyones vests.Was going to do it this year but had recon on both boobs a few mnth ago so thought better of it but will be their next yr.I am the 10th woman in our fam to get this and we all have the braca 1 gene. on a personal note i think younger women get a raw deal with all aspects of bc,they need to spend more money on research into procedures to check on the younger ladies.My mamogram did not pick up my lump but an ultrasound did,so why not give all young ladies who are high risk an ultasound.I agree with the lady above it would cost less to do this than add up surg,chemo,radio,recon and a few nights in hosp.I am sure if it was on offer ladies would pay for this.

lopez

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Luck to everyone doing the race for life. I am doing the Moonwalk in Edinburgh a week on Saturday. my dry sense of humour will love the irony if I my appointment at the Breast Clinic comes through before then and I get bad news. Looking at the whole thing in a different light now and regardless of my outcomes the ladies on here will be on my mind for every one of the loooooonnnnnnng, sloooooooow, 26 miles!!!

Ax

Guest user
Not applicable

Fantastic all of you doing the run & the climb - Im 2 weeks after Mast But would def like to do something next year I think once the chemo & rads are finished. Did think might try something on horseback if there is anything. As im so frustrated not to be riding at the moment - althougth am feeling good today so think might have a little ride next week and see how it goes -

Good luck to all

Leesha

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck to you all doing the run

Mary
xxxx

Lily200

Lisa,
what a great thing to do and I hope you get a real boost from doing it. Glad you were lucky, apart from being here with us at all. I begged for a mammogram in 2006, persuaded the doc to refer me to the screening programme and they turned me down. Their reason given was that I was not 50 and had only one relative with breast cancer. Trouble is I only have one female relative on that side and she died of it, they ignored this. I was dx in Feb 2008 and just wonder whether something was telling me to go. All history now but really annoying.
Two of my daughters are doing the run as their Gran has cancer too, not BC, but terminal. My third daughter did the Macmillan dog walk in 2 hours of torrential rain recently and I nearly cried about it all. Wear something really supportive to keep it comfy from all that friction and hope it is a lovely day for you. Thanks for doing it for evryone. You're a star
Lily x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lisa

The Ben Nevis challenge is in October - 25/26th I think - so I have plenty of time to start training (which is just as well cos some days it's all I can do to walk to the shops and back lol).

There are a few on here doing it - there was a post on the secondary cancer thread but it's probably buried now !

Well there's a ton of us on here that are under 50, and considerably younger, so it's time they re-thought! Mine was 3cm so easily detected by me initially and picked up on every other scan obviously - I was 46 at dx.

Once again good luck to you and your sisters, especially the pregnant one! - very brave! I'm more than happy to sponsor you - do you have a just giving page or anything?

Margaret x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Magz
Blimey Ben Nevis is a challenge and a half! When is that? All I have to get through is 5km, and I will probably struggle!

I think the main reason for not offering mammos is that they THINK that generally women over 50 get bc! Yeah right!
Also there is the problem that a woman pre-manopause has very dense breast tissue - believe me, mine couldnt have been more dense for my first mammo - I am 42 just.
But they DID see something on mine - and it was small (11mm) and early phase. So, it can be detected!

My two sisters are running with me mow - one sister will be 6 months pregnant, so she is allowed to walk!

Lisa x

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done Lisa - and good luck for the race for life. I was asked if I wanted to do it too - unfortunately I had already volunteered to do the Ben Nevis climb for BCC - how the hell I'm going to climb a 4000 ft high mountain after surgery, chemo, rads, more chemo and now herceptin - god only knows - bu I've raised the sponsorship now so I guess I'm going to have to do it lol!!

And you are so right about the mammo's - Iknow there are some seemingly valid reasons for mammos in young people not picking everything up - but when you look at the incidence of BC and other non/pre-cancerous issues in younger people I am surprised that nothing is being done.

Magz x

Guest user
Not applicable

Race for Life.. I want to do more....

Hi Girls
I have been to my hospital appt at lunch time.
The details are that I have Pagets with 11mm of DCIS behind the nipple. They dont know what came first. However, what they did say was that I was lucky that the discharge gave an early indication of the cancer and therefore I the resulting mammo picked up the microcalcifications (DCIS). The area behind the nipple was smaller than originally though - only 11mm. If there had been no discharge, it would not have been detected until it had turned into a lump, by which stage it would have been more aggressive and definitely invasive. Conclusion, my sugery has been curative because caught as a pre-cancerous stage.
So why, oh why, arent ALL women offered mammos from an early age. Surely the cost of a mammo is cheaper than chemo, surgery and radiation. For all women it could be curative - like me.

I have decided to donate all of my healthcare scheme money to breast cancer, and to run the Race for Life on 21st June. I know it will only be 6 weeks after my mastectomy, but I will crawl it, if I have to.
For all of you wonderful Ladies out there, please let me have your names to add to my running vest. I cannot think of anyone I would rather run for... Love Lisa X