367169posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiation and Exercise

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Radiation and Exercise

I second swirly's comments. We've been through so much you've got to build back slowly. I was a gym bunny before all this and have resorted to yoga 4-5 times a week since 3 weeks post mx. Still got 9 weeks of chemo to go before recon and radio but intend to keep it up. Have also done a bit of swimming and even aqua aerobics for some low impact aerobic exercise!!!!

My physio has asked me to limit it to walking or swimming till at least 10 weeks and ideally 12 post my mx and ANC. She said it takes this long for the tissues to be fully secure. I don't know if this depends on your pre op fitness level though (mine wasn't that great!)

Hi SB,

Your body has been through a lot and takes effort and time to recover so don't be too hard on it. I was very active before treatment as well and try not to look at the loss of muscle tone too much. My dr has told me to chill out and enjoy a rest after all the treatment and give my body chance to recover. I've had mx, chemo and now rads. I have managed short cycle rides (no jaring) and I plan to start with kettlercise when I have more stamina. I was told the side effects would peak 2 weeks after rads, but to take it slowly for 6 weeks. I'm holding onto remembering the high from working out and what a hit it will be when I can exercise properly again and enjoy watching the muscles transform. A little patience now for long term gain.

SB,  I used to be a regular at the gym until all 'this' started and felt that during chemo I had turned into a boneless jelly, so was really anxious to get back to exercising after rads finished. I found I had energy and enthusiasm, but zero stamina... Each session at the gym felt great and I had to stop myself going on for too long. But the next day - and sometimes for 48 hours - I really suffered! I think it just takes time for the body to strengthen after all the traumas it's been subjected to. I now don't exercise every day, to give rest time to the muscles, and am building up very slowly, even though it feels easy at the time. (Mind you, I am 69, so things take longer anyway! Smiley Frustrated )

I'd suggest you keep to shorter runs, monitor how you feel the next day, and only increase by a maximum of 1K a time, until you get stronger. I fear it will take time for all of us to feel fit again.

Good luck.

Hi SB,

I have never heard that said about radiotherapy before, but if your surgeon is saying it then I assume it is correct.

I ran all through treatment, but as that included chemo I was really tired by the time I got to the rads, so perhaps 'running' isn't really the word here - a little bit of shuffling maybe!

Also, don't under-estimate how much rads will tire you out.  I think the best thing you can do is listen to your body and don't overdo it.  Do what you can (I understand how important it is psychologically to carry on with exercise) but don't expect to regain your full fitness yet.  Take it slowly - you will get back to your former fitness, it just takes time. 

Many thanks. Will call them.

Hi SB

Here is the number for overseas if that helps. (+44) 20 7620 0077.

June

Thanks, June. Unfortunately I'm in not in the UK!

Hello SB

Maybe you could call our helpline and have a chat with them whilst you are awaiting replies.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes             

June, moderator

Radiation and Exercise

Hi

I used to follow a rigorous exercise regimen almost up to the day I had my lumpectomy.  I used to run 8K/day plus weight training 5 times a week.  I was advised to gradually go back to excercising 6 weeks after my surgery.  However my surgeon and my fitness trainer they both insisted that I should not start running until I've completed the radiation therapy.  This is because running and radiation have the same catabolic effect on the entire body - even though radiation is limited to the breast area. 

I did not listen to them and thoguht I should give running a try.  I was OK running 3K or even 5K.  Once I reached my usual 8K (going slower though) the next day I felt I simply had no energy.  I felt fatigued and so sapped of energy even though I'm eating and sleeping well.

Would anyone be able to advise?

Thanks.