Radical Hysterectomy and newly diagnosed BC

Apologies, for reposting this as it hasn’t shown up on the board.

Hello, I’m new to the group and in my mid forties.  I have been waiting for diagnosis for two and a half weeks after a routine mammogram.  Yesterday I got the news that I have Grade 1 cancer in my right breast and I am terrified about the future.

I had a radical hysterectomy last year after years of suffering with endometriosis and ovarian cysts. I used to have severe PMT to the point where I would destory my life some months (walking out of jobs, fighting with my loved ones).  I have been on HRT since my operation and my life has never been better. I have felt fantastic, I have a job that I adore. To me, I finally felt like I was living a life.

Now, I am petrified about the future.  Yesterday, my consultant said he wanted to perform a lumpectomy and radiotherapy.  I asked about mastectomy (as several female members of my maternal family have had or died of BC - and my mother is currently going through a referral for BC). My consultant said he would consider this as an option.

I told the oncology nurse about my fears regarding coming off my HRT and my future quality of life. She said that I should go back to my gynaecologist (which I am doing), to get advice regarding HRT.  She also said that if I wanted to, I could, after my treatment, go back on HRT in the future (although they wouldn’t recommend this as my tumour is slow growing but highly receptive to oestrogen); I realise the implications this carries.  They have allowed me to stay on my HRT until my operation.

I can’t seem to find anything online about people who are in the same boat as me. I am considering pushing for double mastectomy just so I can go back on HRT but don’t even know if this is safe.  I am trying to be brave for my friends, work and family but inside I am petrified of what the future holds. Please, if there is anyone out there who has advice or has been in this situation I would be so grateful to hear from you.

Hi Angelpine

I can’t offer any advice as I was diagnosed yesterday like you so I’m not much use I’m afraid on the advice side I just didn’t want to read and run.

I know what you mean about being brave for everyone else as well - the most upsetting thing for me has been seeing my neareast and dearest upset.

We are still really early on in this process so I am hoping options become clearer as we go along - I can honestly say most of the words went over my head yesterday. 

Hi Angela,

Sorry you’re joining the club we all would rather not be in. 

The early days of diagnosis are so difficult as the whole thing is such a shock & the mind races ahead with all the fears & ‘what ifs, so what you describe is common to all of us at this stage, we’ve all been there.

Although it certainly doesn’t feel like it, it sounds like it’s been caught early & please be assured that there are many of us here, who have been through treatment, are now out the other side & getting on with life as normal. Outcomes for bc treatment are amongst the best. 

There are others here who’ve been on hrt as well & hopefully, one of the ladies will be along to share experiences. 

Just to add, if you need info then do use reputable sites such as this one, Macmillan, NHS Choices.  

There is a time & place for it, but in the early days of diagnosis, general googling is best avoided as it only feeds anxiety. Fortunately, for me, I had a google aversion on diagnosis & in hindsight, was very glad I did. I found I coped better by focusing on what the team was telling me, who were very reassuring overall.  

Honestly, it does get better when your treatment plan is in place & you know where you’re going with it all. 

Do come & chat or vent here whenever you need to. 

ann x

Hi Angela and Shocked. So sorry that you have both been diagnosed but so glad that you have found your way here where you will find amazing support.

Angela i have not been on hrt but lots of peoole on here have and they will be able to give you advice. Your BC serms like it is very early and once your treatment plan is in place you will feel.better knowing you are on the right path. The waiting around is absolutely the worst time! Also phone your gynaecologist and get advice from them.

Shocked, i felt exactly like you about seeing my loved ones upset but i am going through treatment and everyone is on board and supporting me through it.

Being diagnosed is a shock. Waiting around for resukts and decisions to be made is the worst time. Our heads are full.of worries and uncertainties. But once you get yourctreatment plans 8n place there is a sense of relief knowing thst we can get on with getting better - eventhough we dont feel sick!!

Goid luck ladies. Stay positive. Stsy in the day and just remember that YOU CAN DO THIS xxx

It is lovely to have such a warm, supportive response. I am trying to take each day as it comes and carry on with life as normal. It grips like a vice of terror at points during the day and often at night.  But am sure, as you say, when I get a treatment plan in place I will feel better about the future.

I am still very anxious to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation, so if there is anyone out there who can give me some insight on HRT after breast cancer, I would be so grateful.

I am going to see my gynae next week. He is brilliant and am pinning everything on my meeting with him.  I just hope it goes well.

Thankyou all again. 

Hi Angela. This is a difficult one. I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago with a Gradex1 tumour. 5 years previously I had a radical hysterectomy after 12 months of continously bleeding caused by fibroids. My gynae, a true expert in her field, slapped an Evorel patch on my bottom post op and said ‘this will make you feel fab’. And it did. Great hair, skin, energy. Then comes the bombshell. BC! I remember my gp saying he didn’t like any patient staying on HRT for more than 4 years max as it didn’t cause breast cancer but fed it. So with my 8/8 oestrogen tumour HRT was now ‘off the menu’. It’s considered took risky in women with high oestrogen tumours. God, I miss it. I have dry skin hair and nails and creak! And the anti hormone tablets just add to that unfortunately. But, and this is me, I wouldn’t go back on HRT for fear of a recurrence. I had high oestrogen levels naturally. I had a baby at 43. So maybe I just overloaded. Lots of my friends are on it. None have been put off by my diagnosis. It’s such a bummer of a decision for you…I’d take your gynae’s advice and I’ll be interested to hear what that is. Funny. My mother in law is 81. She’s been on HRT for 43 years! Never been ill. X