1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radioactive tracer

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Radioactive tracer

Hi Rose TKU for the advice about bras I've ordered some from Amazon Just hope they arrive in time 😁

Hi

I got some very reasonably priced front fasteners by Gemm, they're on sale on ebay and Amazon amongst other places. Seamfree and very similar to the one the hospital fitted post-op.I also found using a breast feeding pad useful to protect the stitched area.

Hope it goes well for you

Love, Rose xx

Thank you for your responses I saw the cancer nurse yesterday and she tried to reassure me too Just out of interest has anyone got any advice regarding comfy bras post op please? TKU

Same here with the tracer - told it would be like a bee sting and really was a nothing. Daughter was holding my hand but to be honest didn't need it - don't tell her. Blue dye was put in when asleep - woke up to the inevitable blue boob and wee

B

I was asleep when they injected my blue dye, but I was awake for the radioactive injection. I was told it would feel like a wasp sting, and that was actually exactly what I thought it felt like. Good description I thought and only stang for a minute.

Hi Sunflower,

Can't help on the return to work question I'm afraid as I'm only a week past surgery myself.  But I did ask for a local anaesthetic for the wire insertion and the radioactive tracer injection as I'd also heard they were painful, but the doctors at both procedures refused saying that it wouldn't hurt and in fairness, it didn't really other than a tiny little bit of stinging for a few seconds.  

Actually, I was quite cross that the doctors refused as I wanted it for psychological reasons (I am a total wuss with injections, completely phobic about them) rather than pain control but as others have said, it seems to be the luck of the draw as to whether doctors give them or not.  I've since learnt that you can get some local anaesthetic cream yourself from a pharmacy so perhaps it's worth getting your own if you're worried about it?

xx

Sharon

Hi Sunflower, good luck for this week. Re work, for me I had planned a phased return tomorrow which is 4 weeks to the day from op but developed haemotoma on Thursday so return is postponed for only a few days hopefully. I drove the day before the haemotoma (am sure they are not linked though) and all seemed fine. Would not have felt up to a long journey though. That's my experiences, we are all different though so yours might be different, best wishes and take care x x x ps I did not get offered the cream and I wish I had been; as Sarah said earlier it seems odd that pracrice varies from hospital to hospital 😄😄

Hi I will be having a radioactive tracer & wire inserted on Thursday 12 Feb and then the lumpectomy on Friday 13.  I'm glad I found this thread as it has helped me understand what this all means. Next Wednesday I have an appointment to see cancer nurse who has promised to explain everything and give info on what to expect.  I will ask her about the 'magic cream'.  If you work, how long have you been advised that you will need off work?  I've been advised maybe 2 to 6 weeks.  2 weeks before I can drive.

Wish I'd known- I'd have liked to have watched that! xx

Hi,
No magic cream offered when I had the radiotracer. Did sting so worth asking if they can use something (I'm normally ok re injections etc).
Depending on how the equipment is set up do try to look at the screen/monitor when they are watching the tracker....it's a bit like the sky at night as it lights up the lymph! Maybe I'm weird but I liked seeing it given it had to be done!
Seabreeze

Despite a national health service everything is different everywhere !! I'm quite annoyed anyone gets any pain from this - my hospital gave me magic cream ( they use it with children ) they said they had ladies report it was uncomfortable and had thought what can we do ? - then someone has the bright spark to offer the same cream that they use to numb the area for children - I was told to apply in the morning and didn't feel a thing when they injected ( and I am a sensitive soul !!) - can't believe they don't do this everywhere x

Checking in to say hi and xxx

Hope youre feeling comfortable

Hugs

Sandie

Good Luck for this morning Kellc, I am about to leave for my surgery too, butterflies kicking in now xx

I had mine done today and I barely felt it didnt hurt at all.

Have to be at hospital at six forty five tomorrow for my lumpectomy and brest reduction.

Hope I get some sleep tonight,

Hi Everyone, Well had the injection and tried to relax like you all said.  It was over in seconds and your right wasnt really that bad after all.  Did sting a little but that soon went.  Have to say no information from the nurse was given to me at all.  Everything I know ...blue wee possibly etc has come from this forum.  I am quite surprised she didnt tell me that.  Anyway its done....so now on to tomorrow when I have the surgery.  Hope everyone else is having a "kind day" xx

HI Gazzlyn

I had this done a month ago before my Bi Lat MX and, like you, I got myself in a real state about it because others had said it stings a bit.  I promise you, it didn't feel any different to the usual little scratch you'd get with any other jab and it was over in seconds.  I hate needles so I get my GP to prescribe me a couple of mg of Diazepam which I take about an hour before anything like this.  We don't get a patients manual that tells us to man up so be kind to yourself and remember, you can always ask for some help from your GP, its a stressful time we're going through.

Let us know how you got on

Hugs

L xxx

Good luck and no need to man up, you will be fine, be thinking of you and let us know how you get on x x

Thanks Cheryl and Rose, that has made me feel a little better.  I have to have it done so as they say I will have to "man up" and get on with it Smiley Frustrated x

Hi! I had the radioactive stuff on the morning of surgery, shortly after insertion of the wires. The injection really wasn't that bad, compared to the struggle they had to get one of the wires into my smaller "lump", which turned out to be not only difficult to locate but also very dense.

Don't worry about it, nor about the wires if you have those, because most people didn't report any problem with them. We're all different as Cheryl said and if we tense up expecting something to hurt then it most probably will!

I hope it all goes well for you

Love, Rose xx

Hi, I had this last week and like you was very worried and got myself into a right state. It was not pleasant for me but others on here commented that it was not so bad, I think we are all so different that every part of the process differs. Please try not to worry, I know that is not easy at all. I am finding post surgery my mobility and pain is better than after my core biopsy, am sending you lots of hugs and good wishes for tomorrow. Take care Cheryl x x x

Radioactive tracer

Hi,

I am going to be injected tomorrow with dye pre surgery on Wednesday, I have read some people said this is so painful so now I am obviously worried Smiley Sad  Can anyone tell me what its like please????

Thanks

x