Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotheraphy

12 REPLIES 12
Freda61

Re: Radiotheraphy

Hi Pink Lady

I finished my 15 sessions on Friday and my nipple has been agony over the weekend.  It does seem to have eased off a bit today and the sharp pains inside seem to have calmed down.  I now have a spotty/blistery area near the breast bone.  I suppose it is what I would have expected if I got badly sunburned.  They did say to me that the redness and soreness might get worse for a few days.  I have just had a look at my discharge letter and that says 'for the first week to 10 days following radiotherapy it is usual that any skin reaction may get worse.'  It also says 'you should continue to follow any advice given to you by your radiotherapy team until your side effects have settled back to normal. This is usually after 4-6 weeks.'

During treatment my nipple was more painful than the skin around it and thay said it was not unsual.

Hope this helps.

Lucy_BCC

Hi pink-lady
You may find the following radiotherapy side effects helpful to read:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/radiotherapy/sid...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Guest user
Not applicable

I finished my radiotherapy on Friday. My nipple seems to be really score and tender is this quite normal can anybody tell me. Pink lady.
Magical_Moon

Hello Pink Lady,
I made a mistake in my previous post. Fatigue is affecting my brain cells!!!
I had my 11th treatment today so only have 4 more to go now; last one on 23 December.
Will be done and dusted by Christmas Eve ....... thank goodness.
Like you, I am starting to go a little red. I noticed it last night and when I got home from the hospital today it was brighter.
I'm religiously applying the Aqueous cream the hospital gave me which has been a great help.
Pleased to hear you are feeling OK and had no major problems.
Have a lovely Christmas.
Peace and Positivity,
M x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hello m I only have three more days to do then completed my 15, so far so good I'm starting to go a little red but nothing major and I feel ok. How are you getting on when do you finish yours. Pink lady.
Magical_Moon

How are you getting on with your radiotherapy Pink Lady?
Hope it is going OK.
M xxx
Magical_Moon

Hello D,
I had my 8th treatment today. For the last few days I have been feeling nauseous and very fatigued.
I think my symptoms are due to:
1) SE's of Tamoxifen
2) The constant shoulder joint/blade pain I am experiencing
3) Intermittent sleep (vivid bad dreams)
4) Travelling every day to hospital
5) Dark winter days with limited sunshine
Not long now before Christmas Eve when I finish treatment and will be able to relax.
Hope you soon feel better.
M x
Dana1

Just had 10th radio and not going too bad tightening up a bit but mainly last few days have been feeling nauseous on and off. Asked today and they said some ladies do feel sick but treatment as such shouldn't cause it. Prob just a combination if emotional, the travelling (we do tend to whizz down country lanes at speed eek) and feeling tired. Any ideas? XD
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi magical moon sorry to hear you are suffering I must be very lucky not to have any reaction yet but let's see next week. You keep slapping the cream on hope it feels better soon. Pink lady.
Magical_Moon

Hi Pink Lady,

Enjoy your weekend 'off'.

Let's hook up on here next week to catch up on how we are coping in our second week.

If my nipple gets even redder next week, I think I'll name it Rudolf and join the other reindeers in Santa's Grotto at the local garden centre. That should get the neighbours talking!!!
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi m sorry to hear you are having problems and in pain. So far I've had no relation on my breast to date. I only had pre cancerous cells I had dcis so it wasn't in the breast or the nymph glands so I've been very lucky. I'm glad that I have got the two day break chance to recharge. I hope yours settles down over the weekend. Pink-lady.
Magical_Moon

Hello Pink Lady,

I have just completed my first four sessions today and have 11 to go before Christmas Eve.

I found the Breast Cancer Care booklet on 'Radiotherapy' very helpful as it describes all the side effects you may encounter. It does say that everyone reacts differently to radiotherapy treatment. Also, the dose of radiotherapy varies between individuals.

It sounds like you are doing very well at the moment.

After the first two sessions I was OK. Now, after the third and fourth session, I am starting to get some side effects. My left boob has swollen slightly the last couple of days and my nipple is tender and 'sunburnt'. (My tumour was not near my nipple).

My main concern is my shoulder joint which has already become painful from holding my arm in the required position during zapping. The pain sometimes shoots down my arm from my shoulder to my fingertips. It feels like a nerve or tendon has been trapped and then suddenly pings. I am starting to wonder whether my shoulder joint and/or nerves may have been hurt during my breast surgery.

I have been doing my arm/shoulder exercises every day since my operation despite having some pain. The last thing I want is my shoulder joint to become too stiff.

Pleased to be having a weekend break from my hospital visits.

M

Guest user
Not applicable

Radiotheraphy

Well I have finished my first five sessions I have another ten to do. I'm still waiting for any side affects to kick in can anybody tell me when I should start to expect this I'm feeling fine at the moment.