Radiotherapy July 2014

Hi

Seeing that there have been thread for May and June Radiotherapy treatments.

I thought I would start one for July.

I started my radiotherapy on monday 30th June 2014 at Colchester hospital, Essex County hospital.

Staff seem to be friendly, first day the machines were broke and were running 1 hour late, today I actually got in 5 minutes before my time and was finished within 20 minutes.

Even though its my second day I noticed some pinkness on the skin, hope its not the start of soreness.  I do have a seroma and think I have at least 500ml of fluid in there.  I have had a mastecomy 9 weeks ago I had 550 ml of fluid drained of two weeks after the surgery.    The oncologist said it was better for me to leave the fluid there, rather than have it drained before the radiotherapy, because the fluctuation of sizes for the measurements.

They told me just to use acqeos cream, I asked about aloe vera but they said they dont recommend it.
If it starts to get hot and red is there any other recommendations to help.

Good luck to those starting this month.

Pat

Hi Patricia
I also started rads yesterday, in Central London. So far, no soreness but I am putting loads of cream on. One tip I had when it goes red is to put cooled camomile tea on it! I’ve bought some tea bags but haven’t needed them yet.

I am tired but that’s probably due more to the 3 hour round trip travelling time rather than the rads themselves.

Hope your pinkness settles down.

Hi Pat
I finished my radiotherapy at the end of April with not to many problems. I used aqueous cream and even took a small pot with me to apply while the skin was still warm from the Radiotherapy. I did use Aloe Vera, from Holland & Barratt which is as close to 100% as I could find that was near the end when I developed a small burn in my armpit. I also used a cotton hankie to cover the burn to stop the friction and rubbing especially when driving. Also keep hydrated. Any more questions just ask. Good luck to all ladies starting in July.
Take Care
Angie. X

Hi Ladies

Great to hear from you.  Day four completed.  Yes I have a bit of shoulder and neck stiffness.  The setting up big is getting quicker.  It felt very warm on the area today, they are using a bola, but today they didnt put any tissue between, it shouldnt make any difference hopefully.

Saw my oncologist yesterday, and he has agreed to me having a ct scan as well.    My ovaries are still working so I will need soladex injections every 28 days plus lexonsale tablets.

I have a headache today too and feel very sleepy, but then again I missed out on an whole night sleep on tuesday night, so its probably from that.

Getting into some sort of routine with the treatment now. 

One week down, two to go!

Skin starting to get red and warm, not sure if it’s the hot weather (Central London has been a nightmare), need to wait and see. Was rubbish at the DIBH today, just couldn’t hold it enough, hope Monday will be better.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Day 9 of treatment, because I have seroma (fluid on the mastecomy site) radiotherapy is becoming more difficult, my measurements will have to go of to a physist to see if they need to compensate the radiation accordingly, or have to be rescanned and remeasured.

I have had severe chest pains mainly at night and have had to sleep or try to sleep sitting up ( I had lots of pains in my sternum since the mastecomy, but its getting worse.  Saw the nurse today, who said to take paracetamol, they said its probably anxiety.  But it fills like a foot on my chest area, I do have some problems with breathing too, but I have a growth on my thyroid which tend to press against my neck, which makes it uncomfortable too.  I will be having a CT scan soon hopefully.

from having mastecomy to radiotherapy treatment was 9-10 weeks. Having my soladex injection for the first time tomorrow then i can start the hormone treatment leconsale.

The chest area is very red, I have been putting on acqueous cream at least three times a day.

Hopefully 1 more week to go.  It is tiring, but Im not working so it must be hard for those who have to work and run a home and family. My thoughts are with you.