cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy after mastectomy

2 REPLIES 2
r6lcc

Re: Radiotherapy after mastectomy

Thanks sukiem, interesting to hear your oncologist's approach. Can I ask did you have any long lasting side effects? I had no lymphovascular invasion, and currently I am thinking I won't have reconstruction, but the dr did mention weakened ribs and that a small part of the lung would be affected (but over time the rest of the lung should expand to replace it).
sukiem

Re: Radiotherapy after mastectomy

Hi Louise, I was borderline for radiotherapy too though my situation was different. I had ICD grade 2, 33mm tumour on scans,clear nodes. I had chemo first and just had 8mm DCIS after final pathology from my mastectomy. I was not in a clear category for needing rads but they will never know how big my tumour really was and there was evidence of lymphovascular invasion. My onc who tends to treat aggressively said she would have rads in my position for all the reasons you say.

However rads also have side effects and had a significant affect on my reconstruction. Good luck with your decision
r6lcc

Radiotherapy after mastectomy

Hi, I am trying to decide whether to have radiotherapy - I am 'borderline' so my radiotherapist & oncologist have left it to me to choose. I am 43 & had bilateral mastectomy no reconstruction for IDC grade 2, ER 8/8, PR 8/8 HER2- multi focal (4 tumours in right breast, 35mm, 15mm, 10mm, 5mm), only 1 in left breast, clear nodes, clear margins. Currently having adjuvant FEC-T chemo, 1 more session to go. They said I don't need rads on the left but could have the right side chest wall done if I want it - there's not enough factors for them to recommend it outright. Been looking for statistics but can't find much about benefits for node negative post mastectomy radiation (especially for multi focal), and I do wonder if I should just go for it as even with mastectomy there is a chance of local recurrence - if I don't have it done and it comes back, presumably there is more chance of secondaries. Any advice or experience would be very helpful - I change my mind about 10 times a day on it at the moment! Thanks, Louise