Radiotherapy and moving house

Hi I am going to be having my radio therapy in the next 2-3 weeks and am also due to move house at the same time, when I was first diagnosed I did think to pull out of the sale, but thought no I am not letting the cancer get in the way of something we have been looking forward to doing.
I am trying to get a moving date before the treatment starts, but it is not looking like it could go my way, I would like to know the reality of radiotherapy, what effects it has on you and whether say in the first week I could still deal with the move. I have read that it causes tiredness, does that start straight away or will it be worse towards the end of the treatment.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi debibay

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences you might find it useful to read the BCC publication on radiotherpy. It has information on when it is given and the different side effects it may cause. If you would like to order a copy or read this on line just use the link below:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/radiotherapy-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc26

Also if you would like to talk things through please don’t hesitate to give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can share your concerns with a member of staff who will offer you emotional support as well as practical information. The lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Debibay,
I came back from a holiday on Fri night, moved house Mon night and started radiotherapy on the Wed of the same week, so lots of unpacking, organising etc. I had no problems but around 2 weeks after rads finished I was exhausted! Had lots of afternoon naps, tiredness lasted just over a week, hope this is helpful and hope all goes well for you xx

Thanks Katytc, that’s very helpful, you know what it’s like people keep saying to how can you be moving when you have your treatment going on as well, it puts doubt in your mind that you won’t be able to cope with it, but you have reassured me that it will probably be ok. xxx

Your body will tell you when you need to rest, so if you are tired, stop and have a nap and keep slapping on the aqueous cream ! I had more energy then than I do now!! xx

Hi Debibay, I have just completed 4 weeks of radiotherapy and found I wasn’t too tired at the beginning although I needed to have a rest about an hour and a half after each session was over. For the first week I was able to work as the appointments were later in the day and I could rest afterwards. Nothing too bad although I believe that people who had chemo first do feel the fatigue a lot more as I guess its a cumulative effect with everything. I found that I got more tired as the sessions went on and took some time off work after Christmas and am due back tomorrow. Will see how it goes! Good luck with the house move. x

Thank you Cracker77, I have my first oncologist appointment on 28.1.12 and hopefully by then I will have my moving date so at least I will have some kind of schedule that I can work and prepare myself for.

Echo what’s already been said, for me the tiredness during the 3 weeks of radiotherapy was cumulative. Felt pretty normal to start with but very tired towards the end of the third week and for some time afterwards.

Good for you, not letting cancer get in the way of something you’d looked forward to. All the best with it all.

Hello Debibay
I finished 5 weeks radiotherapy just before new year. I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t really feel that I was any more tired than usual, but then I’m retired and don’t have to get up for work. The most tiring thing I found was dragging to the hospital every day, a real pain that was and all just before Christmas. Possibly I didn’t feel too tired because most of my appointments were late afternoon (I did ask for morning appointments but well you know what hospitals are like, say mornings and you’ll get afternoons!), so I wasn’t doing much after I got home, just making dinner and then relaxing. I had mx, chemo and then rads in that order. I still don’t feel particularly overtired but then I’ve always slept soundly (not necessarily quietly). If you find the rads tiring then have a rest, you’re the best judge of how you feel.
Hope the rest of your treatment goes well and that the house move is not too traumatic.
Take care
Maggie

I worked all the way through mine and had no side effects, I think if I had looked for them I might have. I am a great believer of the power of the minda moving house might just be the distraction you need.that said many ladies say they got very tired.

I actually moved house during chemo so was well settled by the times rads came along. To be fair I didn’t actually do much lifting and shifting but it was still a mighty effort. During rads I had a bit of tiredness blip during the middle for a couple of days but then it was fine.

Thanks everybody for your comments, it looks like everybody feels differently with their treatment but it has made me feel that I can definitely deal with the move and the treatment and whatever issues it throws at me!! x

Hope your Onc appt went OK debibay… I have my 1st one today (29th). Be good to compare notes perhaps re our rads plans.

Good luck to Lozza on post op appt and also to everyone else who is seeing anyone this week about results/onc appt etc. I have now realised I can’t keep up with what days everyone is having everything and marvel at people like tracy who can. I’d have to keep spreadsheets etc and even then may miss people.

Hi, All I can add to this is that you are probably a lot stronger than you think. Go ahead and move house, don’t let the radiotherapy get in the way of your future happiness. I moved from Suffolk to Hants whilst suffering from pneumonia, post rads. Moving is knackering, get the movers to do most of it if you can, don’t overdo things, get the sofa in first and sit down! That’s what I did! Good luck.