cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy for DCIS

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy for DCIS

Thanks for both your replies. I hope your recoveries are going well. I am in my forties as well and I am hoping to avoid a mastectomy. I have been told that if the margins are not clear this time I will have no choice but mastectomy, but to me this seems extreme treatment as the Dcis is low grade. I suppose I will have to wait and see. I get my results in a couple of weeks so not too long to wait. I did wonder if the margins are not clear if I could have radiotherapy instead of mastectomy, but as you both say no two cases are the same and treatment plans vary. 

I agree that this website and particularly the forum are wonderful and it is great to read about such positive experiences and to receive support from people in similar situations.Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi Pinky,
I had MX 8 weeks ago for high grade DCIS. I was initially told this would be my only treatment. After biopsy it was found to be 44mm and the DCIS was in the margin too. My plan has changed and my surgeon would like me to have radiotherapy, especially as there is nothing else to physically remove surgically. I was told this is not a usual case. I guess we are all different and plans can and do change. Sending best wishes. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Pinky,

I am almost three weeks post WLE for high grade dcis. I found out Friday my margins were clear. My surgeon said due to my age (I'm 44) and because it was high grade I would need 15 sessions of radiotherapy. My DCIS was 11mm. I don't think any one case is the same and treatment is worked out on each individual case. I was told before surgery that I would need to have radiotherapy, so have already prepared for this, however it wasn't until I got my results that I knew for definite what my treatment would be. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer and that you get the result you are hoping for. Waiting is really hard, but I have found this forum to be such a godsend.

Take care xxxpb

Highlighted

Radiotherapy for DCIS

Good morning everyone, hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

I have question about Dcis. I recently had a WLE and am waiting results. The WLE was for an area of what was diagnosed as low grade Dcis following a surgical biopsy. The margins from the biopsy were not clear, hence the WLE. The Dcis is over 15mm. Does anyone know if radiotherapy is given in this type of situation? 

I am hoping to avoid it and also hoping for clear margins this time around, got all my fingers and toes crossed Smiley Wink