cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy, how will l feel??

18 REPLIES 18
Jobey68

Re: Radiotherapy, how will l feel??

I start mine this afternoon , planned it that way so I could work so hopefully no bad side effects , I've requested females only as well, I'm no prude either but it's undignified enough so ive spoken up about it , everyone has been so lovely and I had no probs will a male surgeon but this is different , had two lovely girls doing my planning so hopefully get them again today xx
Tucks

Hi, I had a wide local excision 2 years ago followed by 3 weeks of radiotherapy.  Didn't have any side effects from the radiotherapy other than a bit emotional.  The staff were all brilliant but I did have a break-down one day when a male nurse was preparing me.  I found that really usetting and requested not to have a male (I'm in no way a prude but just couldn't cope with that and felt so on display with the position they need you to be in for the treatment).  I carried on working every day and going for therapy in the afternoon.  Tiredness wasn't an issue for me.  I had a little bit of redness (and itchiness) and my nipple lost all colour (2 years on and you can still see the skin colour change on my breast and my nipple is still not back to normal colour) but as those were the only real side effects I suffered I consider myself quite lucky.  

Good luck and fingers crossed you sail through.  

catchpole

Hi just gor back from my rads check up, only took few mins, they just asked you how you are if you are creaming etc , any pain.  She did say dont use aby deodorant and my friend who was with me started saying June has, i put her off, When we got outside i said im using Santex, its fine and im not smelling, nor would you and no she wouldnt, shes as hygenic as me. I didnt use deodorant for weeks after my op but that was winter and im using one in summer, whatever. , Sanex seems fine also dont need much as to be honest with no,lymth nodes you dont seem to sweat or grow hairs so much.anyway they are not doing my nodes,i havent got any!.  june

SARN66

Hi Judith,

Thanks for your reply, I really admire your positivity and although I wont be running any marathons I hope to be able to continue with life and work to the best of my ability.  I dont want to wallow in self pity and have encouraged everyone around me to carry on as normal.  Great to know there are so many women going through similar experiences and staying focused on their recovery.

Good luck with your race tonight.

Sandra

SARN66

Hi Somerset,

Thank you for your reply.  Sounds like Radiotherapy isnt going to be too bad.  Most of the replies on this thread say the same thing so I am feeling optimistic.  Work are very flexible too and have said to work when i want and for as long as I want during my treatment.  My daughter will be home from Uni for the summer so will also be able to drive or come with me when she isnt working.  Im hoping all will go smoothly.  I feel a lot better having read all the replies, this Forum is so helpful and makes me feel so much better to be able to communicate with women going through similar experiences.  So glad I found it!!

Best wishes

Sandra

SARN66

HI Eileen,

Thank you for reply, glad to hear that Radiotherapy was okay for you.  I hope I will be the same I just want to get on with it and hope to be able to drive myself there and back and still go to work.  My daughter will be home from Uni for the summer and so will be able to drive or come with me when she isnt working.  Work are very flexible and have said I can work when I want and for as long as I want so should be able to manage  it okay. Fingers crossed!!

Sandra

catchpole

Hi Kim,

Peoplesaying not using deodarant, i have changed to santex thst no prroblem, im not smellingloll  and ive worn bras all through, yes my bust isnt massive buts 32 c and im tiny so dont feel right without a bra, have also read breasts need support. I have noticed where nodes removed, i dont seem to grow hairs!. noone has told me not to do anything, so im doing what feels comfy for me. Like you not having a chemo such a releif i can take anything else an the anything else not too bad. june

Jobey68

Hi June
No chemo for me either so think should be grateful it's just rads and not complain if I have a few side effects, not worrying about it really just be glad to get on with it as been four weeks since rad planning and life is getting back to normal now and want it to continue that way! Xx
Jobey68

Wow well done to you Judith! Let's hope I'm as lucky, although I don't think it will turn me in to a runner lol! I did used to be one but not done for many years now, want to go on holiday a few weeks after so hoping not to suffer any real effects xx Jo
Judithvr6

Hi,

I'm another one that's not finding radio much of a problem.

I'm 9/15 done and looking forward to being 2/3 of the way through tomorrow.

I've put on my own choice of cream (sensitive, natural ingredients product) some days but I've been wondering why I need to. I've maybe a slight pinkness under my boob so stopped wearing under wired bras after dose 6 but I'm wearing a soft lightweight sports crop bra instead.

Daily travel into the city is a pain as I work from home and I'm not used to this commuting, traffic business. I drive myself in most days though my fella comes with me on his midweek day off.

I ran a half marathon after 3 sessions. I'm running a 5mile evening race (though not at 'race' speed) tomorrow. And I've been rash or maybe over confident that ask will be ok still the weekend after treatment has finished as I've entered a 15 mile trail event.

Apologies to anyone who has troublesome side effects but I am so far, so good.

catchpole

Hi sarn66 started mine a week ago, havent fell tired, slightly pink breast but dosent feel too bad. and i feel fine, I didnt have chemo so feel relieved,  Have been creaming furiously guess that must help.  Actually went to 40th birthday party last fri and danced , had few glasses vino , actually had hangover sat.Ive walked a lot, and have tried to got to bed at a reasonable time, but apart from that, sat my friends dog like i normally do.  Hope all goes well with you.  June

Jobey68

I'm not very buxom either so I had thought of that! I didn't wear one after my lumpectomy op and got away with a tight stretchy vest, think I will invest in a few floaty tops to wear to work, they all know so I'm sure will give them a chuckle to know I'm bra less lol! All advice is much appreciated Eileen so thank you very much xx
eileen728

No problem! And I forgot they also suggested not wearing a bra through the treatment period, ( fine if you are small like me but I can see not easy for everyone!) showering with lukewarm water and patting rather than rubbing dry. xx
Jobey68

Thanks Eileen, I'm sure they are used to hairy whiffy armpits by now lol! all my appointments are around tea time so I will have time after work for a quick shower before I go, resisting shaving that pit will be a challenge but if it's all for the greater good than I'm sure I will cope, thank god it's not vest top weather just yet! Thank you for the advice and I hope I get through it as well as you did xx
somerset

Hi Sarn

I drove myself to and from radiotherapy (about 30 miles each way). I was lucky and did not have any big problems - certainly no nausea and did not feel particularly tired. Told to use aqueous cream on skin which they provided (also found diprobase very good) - went a bit red but not too bad. Also told to use PitRok deodorant as they said it did not contain anything which would cause a problem. Due to the fact that work was a long commute in a completely different direction I could not get to the office but fortunately my then employer was happy for me to work from home (and found me a project they wanted doing as well as the bits of my role I could already do from home) so that was what I did - managed to get all my appointments reasonably early so just worked a bit later to make up the time. Also took a few odd days holiday and took someone with me to the radiotherapy on those days - afterwards we went and did something nice for the afternoon! Hope it goes well for you too.

eileen728

Hi Jo ,
My GP gave me Aquamax as it doesn't have any additives. They also said not to use deodorant if you can resist it - was a bit worried I was whiffy by week 3 but they were very polite! - and best not to shave either. I didn't have it in my nodes but they still advised me to avoid anything that might irritate. Good luck - it really wasn't that bad xx
Jobey68

Hi Eileen,
I start 3 weeks next Tuesday, good to hear you are feeling so well, did they give you or suggest any cream to use ? I remember At rad planning signing a form for them to be able to give me something but didn't ask what and also should you shave your arm pit on that side being treated or use deodorant whilst having treatment? I'm not having it on my nodes but I keep reading conflicting reports about what to do! Jo xx
eileen728

I have just finished 3 weeks and it was fine - no nausea, tiredness not really an issue. I think though it affects everyone differently and they told me I may get more effects after the treatment has finished.
SARN66

Radiotherapy, how will l feel??

Have been told I will need 3 weeks of Radiotherapy post op.  Will I be able to drive to hosp and back.  How tired will I feel, how bad is the nausea??  Will I still be able to work, office job?? Any advice appreciated so I can be prepared.

Thank you!