Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy in August

Hi Kalo
So was your wait was 10 weeks or more?
Atat
Highlighted

Hi Atat,
I had to wait longer than usual as I had a seroma with an infection, my WLE and SNB was on 29th April.
I had a scan on 2nd July before my oncology appointment so had to wait. 4 down 11 to go.
Hope everyone is well.
Carole x
Highlighted

Hi
Do you mind me asking how long you had to wait for radiotherapy.?

I think I may end up as symmetrical because of amount of tissue removed. They have certainly told me to expect it.
Atat
Highlighted

Hi I have not been told that got letter on last visit for results just says mapping on the 20th this month no plan yet husband said they said will send letter in post
Highlighted

PS thanks, June, for providing link. I think some distortion is going to be due to re-excision as cancer larger than they were expecting.
Atat
Highlighted

I've been told to use E45 but make sure there isn't a lot of residue left on skin. I start on Monday. This week is really dragging by.. I hate breast cancer
Atat
Highlighted

Thanks June,
Day 3 over 12 to go how are my fellow radio goers today. I asked about the cream today, and they will give me aqueous cream if I need it but nothing else to be used to make sure nothing acts as a barrier to the treatment.
Carole x
Highlighted

Hello

Here is a link to our publication on Radiotherapy that Alice45 mentioned.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/radiotherapy-primary-early-b...

Best wishes

June, moderator

Highlighted

Have you read the BCC booklet on radiotherapy? Lots of information there. You can find it on this site, and I'm sure someone in the know will post a link...

Highlighted

Have anyone been told of changes to breast shape etc following rads?
Atat
Highlighted

Hello ladies, I finished my rads over a year ago and only had a couple of very minor problems with my skin - slight rash and itching which antihistamine tablets sorted out. I too was advised to use only Simple shower gel and I also used Simple shampoo, had no problems with either. Best wishes and good luck to you all going through or about to start your rads and keep slathering on whichever cream you have been advised to use, I'm sure that's what protected my skin. Love to all, Pat x
Highlighted

Simple also do a nice hair shampoo and conditioner which I am using on my v.v.short hair... As their bodywash is permitted, the shampoo should be OK too. Best wishes, A

Highlighted

Thank you. I do hope it does go quickly.
I'm taking my ipad with me so I can check everyone's news etc.
Atat
Highlighted

Hi Ladies
Hope your rads goes ok. I finished mine on 25th April with hardly any problems.
I started using aqueous cream about 3 week's before I started rads. I took a small pot with me to put on straight after my rads
while the skin is still warm. Make sure the cream Is well rubbed in as this can act as another layer of skin for the radiotherapy to go through. The only problem I had was a small burn under my arm and I used aloe Vera as near to 100% which I got from Holland & Barrett. Another tip if u get a burn is to place a cotton hankie there to stop the rubbing.
It goes really quickly.
Take Care
Angie. X
Highlighted

Hi,Atat,I'd still wash your hair in shower. I'll be using my normal shampoo etc but I'll just try to keep bubbles running down front too much. As long as we are careful. What about putting aqueous cream over rads part then doing hair as this will protect body.
I'm 9 1/2 weeks post surgery before I start rads.
Google luck for the 11th.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi
Meant to add, I've also been prescribed Anastrozole which I've been told to take throughout.
Atat
Highlighted

Hi
I'm due to start on 11 August. Had surgery in May and re-excision in June so am starting week 9 post-op. Am having my rads at a different hospital, and will be staying in town mid week. Unfortunately my original hospital where I had my op have an odd way of interpreting NICE guidelines re when to have rads, so asked to be referred elsewhere, thank goodness. Anyway, enough of that. I'm to use my usual Dove products, and Bionsen deodorant - roll on only!! E45 for moisturising, Aqueous cream would have been fine too.
Not sure about shampoos since I like to wash my hair in the shower. Any thoughts?
Atat
Highlighted

Hi,Carole,yes,it's very strange how all hospitals are different. I know I can't use Dove as it brings me out in a rash normally! I've just bought some E45 lotion and I'll be applying that. My onc said I'd probably burn being so fair,cheery man.
I'm also going to put the cream in my bag with gown(they give you one to use throughout your treatment) and bottle of water so I can drink on journey back and put cream on as soon as I'm done.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Thanks Jane and Keeks,
I am in Edinburgh too, my surgery was on 29 April so quite a while back. I've been back and forward to the hospital so I'm used to being there. (My youngest daughter has Autism, special needs and chronic intestinal Psuedo obstruction so it's our second home). With all the tests you get for the breast cancer it was discovered I might need my parathyroid removed so waiting to find out more about that.
My cancer is Triple Negative so won't be on any drugs after treatment.
Like you Sisterjane 13 more to go.
Hugs back Carole x
Highlighted

Hi , I've just started my radiotherapy had two treatments so far and feeling ok, 13 more to go! I've been using E45 for a couple of weeks to prepare the area and I'm still using it , the radiotherapist did say it might feel a bit heavy later on in the treatment and to use epiderm cream if I need to .in my unit they recommend ,dove, simple soap , to wash and deoderants with no magnesium in and to keep well hydrated also and rest ,that's about it here . I was a bit uptight the first day, mainly because walking back into the hospital brought it all back I think and as its been 7 weeks since my surgery I suppose I was just getting to feel ok then this reminder again of what I've been through , it's all a bit surreal. I'm going onto tamoxifen when this is finished so that's another step to climb, but it has to be done so onwards and upwards. Hugs to all xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies.

the debate as to what you can use during rads is made all the more difficult when every unit gives you different info. I had mine in may at Edinburgh.  I had been applying E45 as recommended on here but my unit says no cream only simple soap and deodorant.  

I have to say I tried to go without but started using E45 again in my first week. The days I didn't my skin felt tight. I took a bottle with me and put it on before getting dressed. I told the nurse and she was impressed how well my skin was doing. I usually forgot under my arm and after treatment my scar got crusty.  I think it was because I didn't put the cream there.

whatever you decide they keep a close eye on you during treatment and treat any problems straight away.

once you get started the time passes quickly. 

Wishing you all good luck with your treatments.

Keeks

Highlighted

Hi Helen,
Thank you for the hugs really appreciated. :-))
Had my tattoos redone as first ones were not clear enough, only 3 for me.
It's strange how all over the country we get different advice re lotions and potions, I thought it weird when
I was told no cream at all, I have dry skin and always plastering on body lotion (mostly Marks &Spencers lavender body lotion). I've only had 2 treatments so far, just have to see how it goes. Must ask on Monday why!
((Hugs back))
Carole x
Highlighted

Hi,I start rads on 13th august (that's a run through day) then rads start on 14th -5thSept. Already had my tattoos. Apparently get another two on 13th. I'll be able to play dot to dot as that will be 6!
My unit gives you cream not sure what as I get it on 13th. I'm allowed deodorant but no shaving. No baths,no creams,lotions,talc,shower gels etc .
I have to keep back to shower jet too?
Good luck with your rads,huge hugs,Helen xxx
Highlighted

Radiotherapy in August

As no one has started the August thread,
I had my first of 15 treatments yesterday. I got told that my unit does not recommend any cream at all, only use simple soap and roll on deodorant.
2 down 13 to go.