1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy in August

Trisha_51

Re: Radiotherapy in August

Hello Atat and other ladies, when I was having my rads (over a year ago) there was a very active thread on the forum with lots of us posting hints and tips which we had been given from our various radiotherapy departments. I have tried to find it again but unfortunately like many other things since the forum has been revamped I can no longer trace it. Whilst it is good that you ladies having rads have got yourself into 'monthly' threads - we didn't do this- it does mean that you are a smaller number talking to each other and don't have the experiences of those who have 'been there'. This also means that problems are often 'hidden' in a specific 'monthly' thread and are not posted as a general query which is one way in which we were able to share so many hints and tips. The only thing I can suggest, if you have the time, is to trawl through the various threads on the radiotherapy section of the site. Unfortunately for you newer members of the club, lots of the 'older' members have given up using the forum as we find it nowhere near as user friendly as the older versions. I'll keep on looking for general queries and try to help as best I can but unfortunately I haven't the time to go through all the monthly threads. I've also found that the same problems, queries crop up on numerous different monthly threads. Can I be cheeky and make a suggestion, it's great to support each other on your monthly threads, but you would be more likely to get feedback from those of us who have been there, worn the T shirt etc. if you posted a general query and not on your 'monthly' thread. Best wishes to all going through or about to start your rads, Pat x
Atat

Although I did read somewhere, that instead of a bra (even genie ones) one could wear a cotton strappy vest next to skin
Atat
Atat

Who gives you these tips?
I've not had any apart from using the aqueous cream
Atat
Trisha_51

Hello Toulula, please don't stress too much about your radiotherapy and the possible side effects. I had 15 sessions of rads in March/April last year and had no real problems to speak of. My skin did not blister, burn or peel either during or after rads, all I had was a slight rash a bit like a heat rash and itchy skin and 1 antihistamine tablet a day for a few days sorted that one out. I was advised to moisturise well for a couple of weeks before my rads started, I used aqueous cream as that was what my radiotherapy department suggested. I slathered on loads of the aqueous cream at least twice a day during rads and continued for a good few weeks afterwards - I still moisturise the radiated boob every other day. One other good tip we were given at my hospital was to go topless at home as often as possible especially after slathering on the cream and to sit with your affected arm above your head to allow air to circulate under your boobs. Needless to say this often caused great hilarity on my husbands behalf! The radiographer commented on how good my skin looked on the next to last session so I reckon I must have been doing the right things. Not everybody has problems with their skin and it's often the ladies who do that tend to post on forums so you may have got a rather unbalanced view of things. Fingers crossed you are one of the lucky ones like I was, best wishes and take care, Pat xx
maggyblue

Hi everyone

Just to say that I got pink and a bit sore after only 2 sessions so saw radiologist and she was very helpful. I had used E45 Intense Recovery which has quite a list of ingredients. So I decided to change and as soon as I put on Aqueous Cream BP (liquid parafin, lanolin free) it immediately felt soothed. The radiologist said I might be sensitive to lanolin. Anyway much better now.

Hugs to you all.

Toulula

Thanks you are all so kindxxx
Atat

Hi Toulula
Sounds as if you are reading far too many forums. It's perfectly possible that you won't get symptoms.
Perhaps, find a good book to read instead or a nice walk, a visit to the cinema perhaps.
Atat
busyanne

We all react differently to radiation.  If your a prone to sunburn then you make get some burning however the staff look after you very well and give you the necessary creams to use.  I had 35 sessions and although I did get some blisters it was in the last week so healing started very quickly after radiation was finished.  So speak to the therapists on duty and they will support you.  I was fine after radiation but noticed about 6 - 9 months after that I got very tired easily.  So to compensate I just took it easy when I needed to.  You need to take control of your symptoms and all with be well.  Go and enjoy the christening if you are uncomfortable take steps to combat it.  Enjoy your grand daughters christening and dont let others negative experiences get to you.  You may well sail through the treatment so dont put barriers in place where there are non at the moment.  Hope that makes sense.  Take care.

Toulula

I have been on another site us site and the storeys they are telling about after radiation treatment has upset me I was hoping I would feel ok for my granddaughters chrisning 14september was told on that site I would be very sore and peeling tired all sorts of problems lot of pain iam already crying all the time now this as made me feel worse I love dancing and there will be a disco at the chrisning looks like I will not be dancing or much at all might not even go oh I hope I will be ok my lyth nones were clear no cancer and only 1st grade in left breast I know iam lucky more people worse off but that does not help me I wish this chrisning were next year hugs to every one sorry for going on a bit and moaning xxxx
Atat

I, too, have found taking an antihistamine extremely good for stopping the itching.
Treatment no. 6 today and had review with one of staff.
Atat
Sisterjayne

Hi Toulula thanks for the tip , I did use E45 and still got the rash!! so changed to epiderm cream and they gave me some hydrocortisone cream for the worse bits to put on lightly, it's def improved ,I can cope!! Only 2 days to go then completed this bit , then the tamoxifen to start!! So I'm feeling positive this week , hope everyone is doing ok with the treatment xx
Toulula

Correct that do not know when I start my rad having mapping on 20th this month so hope it is not long before they start just worrying I may be too tired for my granddaughters christening on the 14th September
Toulula

Try e45 itch relief creamxx
maggyblue

I'm 5 down and 10 to go. Glad it's Friday. Have a good weekend everyone.

Kalo

Hi Sisterjayne,
Yes I've got 3 to go now next week same as you. I'm just really tired now looking forward to easy weekend off.
Skin is a wee bit red sorest part is under arm where the lymph nodes were removed. Once treatment is over I've got some nice Australian teatree oil lotion to slap on.
Hope everyone is good and have relaxing weekend.
Carole x
Sisterjayne

Hi Pat, thanks so much for your reply ,il def try that ! Jayne xx
Trisha_51

Hello Sisterjayne, hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread but when I had my rads 18 months ago I too had very itchy skin which looked like a heat rash. My radiographer recommended I take 1 antihistamine tablet eg. Piriton a day and it worked! Best wishes for the rest of your rads, Pat x
Sisterjayne

Hi kalo how are you doing? You must be about the same as me in your radiotherapy schedule ? I'm day 12 today so I've got three to go , I've got an itch but other than that not too bad,just tired!! Glad it's friday and I've got two days off!! You feeling ok? Xx
Sisterjayne

Hi ladies , I'm on day 11 and I'm doing ok ,tired but coping however I'm sooo itchy on my radiotherapy site and a few little lumps superficially have appeared almost like heat bumps!! But really driving me mad , I just want to scratch!!! Anyone else have this? Hugs xx
Cornish

The snoozes are really helpful aren't they? I'm 3/5 of the way thru, just another 6 sessions to go. All the staff at Plymouth are great and always ask how I am before each session. Just amazed at how many people have to go thru this. Am determined to do the Sept coffee morning to raise some funds. Take care.
kay73

Hi ya
I'm going through radiotherapy, 13 weeks from operation number two, my scars have healed really well. Had blast number 7 today only another 16 to go !!! Swollen, sore and a bit tired but doing ok 🙂 the team at my hospital have been amazing, southend hospital, essex ! Really helpful and caring about trying to keep the side effects to a minimum ! It's a heck of a lot easier than chemo and I'm glad to be in my last 3.5 weeks of treatment 🙂 the hair has grown back and I'm actually feeling a lot better than I have for a while, be gone cancer and I'm sticking my fingers up to you 🙂
Hope everyone is doing ok on here xxx
I'm having a power nap in the afternoon which is helping, is anyone else doing the same ???
Cornish

Just try and eat normally. Good advice to drink three pints of water per day. Some appts may take a little longer, only minutes tho, as further imaging may be needed. Doesn't always apply. Just try to think of something pleasant when lying there. I've even mentally said times tables as am practising them with one of my grandsons! Rest up at the weekend, don't overdo it. All the best.
maggyblue

Had my first dose today. They explained everything before I went in so I knew what to expect. I am a wriggler and hate sitting still so it was a nightmare trying not to move especially as my hands got pins and needles. I hear that the first appointment always takes longer to set up so I expect it will be quicker tomorrow. My husband promised to take me to lunch after but it is Monday so we ended up at MacDonalds! Didn't feel like a healthy option really.  All my other appointments are later in the day so eating shouldn't be a problem.

Sisterjayne

Hi my round trip is about 30 miles so depending on traffic can take about 45min and longer to get there , it could be worse but it is tiring , when I get there the machine s have been temperamental and broken down so moved to different machine with a wait, today my appt was at 11 but the machine is out of order so I've had a phonecall to ask me to come in at 6pm!! Anyway day 8 today so downward slope to 15 !!
Toulula

Hi from op 6weeksxx
Toulula

Thankshugsxxx
Cornish

As regards dates for treatment, I had a phone call on Thurs to start treatment on the following Monday. Was then given a list of dates and times for the three weeks. Was glad I was not hanging around waiting a few more weeks. Just wanted to get on with it. Am pleased that I get to see the consultant, two appts during treatment. Just to catch up I guess. Reassuring they are keeping tabs on me throughout. All the best.
Toulula

We are both n the same boat, not long now to start my radiation eat meant still do not know how any times I haveto go have they told you hugs
Cornish

Think it is a good idea to have something to look forward to after treatment ends. Have finished first week of three of radio. Been pretty good, so far. Have a very supportive husband who drives me and waits with me. May seem a bit of a wuss, but it all helps. Have a couple of weekends away booked. Both fairly local as I don't want to be too far away. Get a bit twitchy now and again. Difficult not to beat oneself up sometimes. Take care.
maggyblue

I don't know what country you live in but I live in UK and have rented a self catering house with great views over a beach so it doesn't matter if I feel too tired to do everything. We are taking a couple of friends and they enjoy cooking and have their own car so can do different things if they like. I have heard it is a good thing to have a holiday after cancer treatment as you can feel a bit down. My radiotherapy finishes on 1st September and going away 19th so hope to feel energised by a change of scenery.  That is the theory anyway!

Kalo

Hi Girls,
Had 7th blast today, all going well. 8 to go.
It takes me 40 mins to get there due to traffic across town. Cancer patients going for treatment or appointments have a separate free car park with a park attendant so we don't have to wait or find a space, which works really well.
My youngest daughter (31 with Autism and special needs, I am her full time carer) was always asking what I get done, so the lovely staff let her in with me and explained everything to her and let her watch me on the screen when I was lying on the table. I thought it was really nice of the staff to put her mind at ease.
Nice to have a few days off and get a longer sleep.
Hope everyone is good.
Carole x
Atat

That's good news Toulula. Mine was Grade 2. Clear lymph nodes too.
Atat
Atat

Hi
I'm 2x5, then 2x4. 18 sessions in total

Atat
Toulula

Hi just bought some simple shampoo never had it before I do use the shower gel also got e45cream and a cheap white t shirt to put under after so dye does not go on top
2catlady

Hi,Atat,yes,I also get a bank holiday off for good behaviour too. I only do one full 5 day week! The rest are 3+4 +3day weeks
Huge hugs,Helen xxx
Toulula

Hi we were hoping to go away but will have to be put off till next year xx
Toulula

Hi hope it all goes well for you I start mine 20th just found out mt cancer was not2nd stage when they opened me up it was 1stage so that was good news clear in lyth nones just get the next stage over then I will be ready for my granddaughters christening on the14th September
Atat

That should be nice. 3 days and then the weekend.
2catlady

Hi,starting on Wednesday 13th xxx
maggyblue

I had the biopsy early May which they told me was 19 times out of 20 not cancer with my symptoms. However, as number 20 I had the operation to take out the cancer on 9th June and start rads 11th August. Gosh, I'm feeling better about the 50 mile round trip. I wouldn't want to do that travelling but will you be able to do things while you are staying there?

Atat

Yes, I agree. Earlier in the year, I thought I'd be going to St Lucia in Sept not being targeted by a radiotherapy machine!! Oh well, as long as it does the job. Better go, just have a hot flush coming on!!

Atat
pinky3

Hello everyone

I have my planning appointment next week and start treatment shortly after. I have about a 40 minutes drive each way. I am hoping parking isn't going to be a problem! 

Really looking forward to the end of my treatment now, just want to move forward from what has been a difficult year so far. 

Xxx

Atat

Mine is 50 miles each way which is why I'm staying down there Mon and coming back Friday. Howlong have you been waiting for radiotherapy?

Atat
maggyblue

Starting radiotherapy on Monday 11th August. Round trip of 50 miles each time and parking at the hospital is a nightmare. Fortunately my husband can take me and sit in the car in a layby outside the hospital but it means he can't come in with me.

Atat

Hi
How far are you having to travel?
Anyone else starting next week?
Atat
Sisterjayne

Hi ,I had my 6 th day today , so far so good , been using E45 and skin looks ok , do feel a bit tired but that may well be traveling back and forth every day to the hospital but nearly halfway! Drinking plenty of water to keep hydrated too! This was recommended . Hope all goes well for everyone xx
Kalo

Hi Atat,
Yes I waited more than 10 weeks but not everyone waits that long.
10 blasts to go, feeling ok so far. Hope everyone else is good.
Carole x
Atat

Am so sorry to hear that. I've been fortunate that haven't felt too bad about it providing I felt everything was being done to help.
I expect one day, it will just feel like a bad dream
Atatxx
Toulula

I now just how you feel just had y sister in law over from Malta asking me about it telling her bought tears back again wish I did not cry like this it's been 4weeks after surgery and still have moments on my own crying hope it stops after radiation treatment Hugs xx
Toulula

So do I takes too many weeks out of you lifexx