Radiotherapy in August

As no one has started the August thread,
I had my first of 15 treatments yesterday. I got told that my unit does not recommend any cream at all, only use simple soap and roll on deodorant.
2 down 13 to go.

Hi,I start rads on 13th august (that’s a run through day) then rads start on 14th -5thSept. Already had my tattoos. Apparently get another two on 13th. I’ll be able to play dot to dot as that will be 6!
My unit gives you cream not sure what as I get it on 13th. I’m allowed deodorant but no shaving. No baths,no creams,lotions,talc,shower gels etc .
I have to keep back to shower jet too?
Good luck with your rads,huge hugs,Helen xxx

Hi ladies.

the debate as to what you can use during rads is made all the more difficult when every unit gives you different info. I had mine in may at Edinburgh.  I had been applying E45 as recommended on here but my unit says no cream only simple soap and deodorant.  

I have to say I tried to go without but started using E45 again in my first week. The days I didn’t my skin felt tight. I took a bottle with me and put it on before getting dressed. I told the nurse and she was impressed how well my skin was doing. I usually forgot under my arm and after treatment my scar got crusty.  I think it was because I didn’t put the cream there.

whatever you decide they keep a close eye on you during treatment and treat any problems straight away.

once you get started the time passes quickly. 

Wishing you all good luck with your treatments.

Keeks

Hi Ladies
Hope your rads goes ok. I finished mine on 25th April with hardly any problems.
I started using aqueous cream about 3 week’s before I started rads. I took a small pot with me to put on straight after my rads
while the skin is still warm. Make sure the cream Is well rubbed in as this can act as another layer of skin for the radiotherapy to go through. The only problem I had was a small burn under my arm and I used aloe Vera as near to 100% which I got from Holland & Barrett. Another tip if u get a burn is to place a cotton hankie there to stop the rubbing.
It goes really quickly.
Take Care
Angie. X

Hi hope it all goes well for you I start mine 20th just found out mt cancer was not2nd stage when they opened me up it was 1stage so that was good news clear in lyth nones just get the next stage over then I will be ready for my granddaughters christening on the14th September

Had my first dose today. They explained everything before I went in so I knew what to expect. I am a wriggler and hate sitting still so it was a nightmare trying not to move especially as my hands got pins and needles. I hear that the first appointment always takes longer to set up so I expect it will be quicker tomorrow. My husband promised to take me to lunch after but it is Monday so we ended up at MacDonalds! Didn’t feel like a healthy option really.  All my other appointments are later in the day so eating shouldn’t be a problem.

Hi ya
I’m going through radiotherapy, 13 weeks from operation number two, my scars have healed really well. Had blast number 7 today only another 16 to go !!! Swollen, sore and a bit tired but doing ok :slight_smile: the team at my hospital have been amazing, southend hospital, essex ! Really helpful and caring about trying to keep the side effects to a minimum ! It’s a heck of a lot easier than chemo and I’m glad to be in my last 3.5 weeks of treatment :slight_smile: the hair has grown back and I’m actually feeling a lot better than I have for a while, be gone cancer and I’m sticking my fingers up to you :slight_smile:
Hope everyone is doing ok on here xxx
I’m having a power nap in the afternoon which is helping, is anyone else doing the same ???

I’m 5 down and 10 to go. Glad it’s Friday. Have a good weekend everyone.

I have been on another site us site and the storeys they are telling about after radiation treatment has upset me I was hoping I would feel ok for my granddaughters chrisning 14september was told on that site I would be very sore and peeling tired all sorts of problems lot of pain iam already crying all the time now this as made me feel worse I love dancing and there will be a disco at the chrisning looks like I will not be dancing or much at all might not even go oh I hope I will be ok my lyth nones were clear no cancer and only 1st grade in left breast I know iam lucky more people worse off but that does not help me I wish this chrisning were next year hugs to every one sorry for going on a bit and moaning xxxx

Hi everyone

Just to say that I got pink and a bit sore after only 2 sessions so saw radiologist and she was very helpful. I had used E45 Intense Recovery which has quite a list of ingredients. So I decided to change and as soon as I put on Aqueous Cream BP (liquid parafin, lanolin free) it immediately felt soothed. The radiologist said I might be sensitive to lanolin. Anyway much better now.

Hugs to you all.

Great news you ve finished treatment :slight_smile:
I’ve had 20 got 3 left starting tomorrow !
Skin looks really burnt and rash underneath makes me want to scratch myself to pieces ! But just three to go :slight_smile:
Good luck for the future x

Hi atat
Brill thanks for the tips :slight_smile:
Nice you only have three left, I was supposed to finish Thursday too but they doubled up and overlapped the main and boost treatment before the bank holiday !
Isn’t it a relief to have light at the end of the tunnel isn’t it !
You having a celebration :slight_smile:
Kay x

I finished my 15 rads yesterday. So happy but woke up really early this morning with the itching. The radiologist was happy with the state of my breast and I will get an appointment to be seen in 3 months time to check up on it. Was told to continue with aqaueous cream and not to use deodorant until pinkness fades. Can’t wait!  Went shopping for a new bra last week and the breast looked dreadful in the changing room mirror - still blue section from the lymph gland stuff and pink with red spots and the scar doesn’t look great either.  Didn’t buy a bra as they were all so uncomfortable. Will wait until the swelling goes down. I will follow Atat’s advice and take antihistamine pill for the itching - I have bought some anti-drowsy ones as I usually nod off withing 10 minutes of taking other kinds.  Good luck eveyone.

Atat
I finish tomorrow (Wednesday) instead of Thursday :slight_smile: then just a couple of weeks to heal yay !
Had review today and they want me to see the nurse tomorrow as they want to give me some new dressings I can use :slight_smile:

Oh
My nurse today also said the side effects are at their worst around 10 days after treatment is finished ! So ten days after main treatment finishes and then ten days after boost finishes as it affects different areas !

Hi to you all
Just finished my last treatment today, I’m all done now :slight_smile: just got a skin review on 16 th ! Happy to be out the other side of this now :slight_smile:
Oh the nurse today gave me two kinds of dressing, I think they use them for burns victims, one is thick and foamy a bit sticky but not gluey, ill try and find the name if anyone needs it ! It works a treat for underneath where the rash is bad and then I have a thinner one that is used on the front and top! Feels cool when it goes on, it breaths and keeps it all nice and dry, have nt been itchy at all today :slight_smile:
Good luck to everyone
Kay x