1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy in October

Mysticalmoo

Re: Radiotherapy in October

So 3 sessions done - 12 to go! All quite straightforward you just lie on the slab, they pull you into position and then don't move until the machines have finished their work. After the first day when I got so cold, I took a blanket to cover my legs and stomach which really helps. I get a bit of heat and redness immediately on my chest after treatment but this improves over a couple of hours after I use the Radiance Gel recommended by my surgeon.

So far it's been ok... Been warned side effects kick in about half way through... I have felt really tired but not sure if this is radiotherapy or tamoxifen giving me night sweats and interrupting my sleep! Good luck to anyone starting next week... X
Atat

They don't loke you to miss more than 3 consecutive days at hospital where I was treated.
Mysticalmoo

Oh Dollie, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Mine was diagnosed with leukaemia while I was having chemo... They were able to adjust my doses so I could recover from each more quickly and spend time with him. I've no idea about radiotherapy but do tell them, I'm sure if they can help, they will.
Its so hard trying to get through the treatment when all you want to do is be with your dad... X
Roxie65

Hi Dollie

As regards drinking water before and after radiotherapy I was told by keeping yourelf hydrated also keeps the skin hydrated so helps avoid burning!

Sorry to hear about your dad and I hope all is ok.  As regards to missing a radiotherapy appointment I dont know the implications but have read many times on this site that due to the machine breaking down or other problems people have missed one and had it tacked on at the end so I assume from that there is a little bit of leeway if you need to be with your mum and dad.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best xxxx

Dollie7293

Hope day one went well Mysticalmoo. I have my planning appt for Monday 6th then start rads on 20th. My dad is really unwell and McMillan nurses are making him comfortable. Does anybody know the implications of interrupting a course of radiotherapy if he deteriorates and I have to miss one or two sessions to be with him and my mum?
Mysticalmoo

Meant "they are no worse..."
Mysticalmoo

Well today's the day... I'm feeling really nervous about starting the radiotherapy but relieved it is (fingers crossed) the final stage ....

Dollie - I started the Tamoxifen 6 weeks ago and have had no ill effects so far. Hot flushes I had since chemo have continued but they are on I worse... My oncologist said that side effects can come on over a few months and should have settled in 6 months ... But nothing for me yet so you may be fine too!

Dollie7293

I'm due to start radio in October, as yet I haven't had dates or planning appt. had lumpectomy 27th august, two lumps removed 20mm grade 2 invasive and 3mm grade 1. No nodes affected. Have picked up my first script for tamoxifen today but really nervous about starting so close to radio as worried about side effects from both. Have started using double base already as suggested. Why is it recommended to drink water before And after?.
Jaye

Hi all

Yes it's a good idea to start using the cream daily for a couple of weeks before you start rads.   I finished my rads in June and creamed before as I had read on here it was good to do that and I think it really helped with the burning.   I got away without any burns, just soreness towards the end.

Also don't forget to drink plenty of water, especially before and after treatment.  I took bottled water with me.

All the best

Jaye

joan47

Hi ladies. Had my planning session today and due to start 15 sessions on October 15th. The delay is because we have a weeks holiday booked in Barcelona. I had Grade 3 invasive, triple negative and had chemo to try to avoid a mastectomy. Fortunately successful so lumpectomy mid August. All healed beautifully but right boob now much smaller than left and nipple over an inch higher so think May go for reconstruction at some stage, if I can face going near a hospital again. Thanks for the advice about starting with aqueous cream.
Roxie65

Hi All

I had my planning meeting and tats on Wednesday and start radiotherapy on the 9th which will be 3 weeks to the day of my last chemo.

I had grade 2 idc stage 1 triple negative but caught really early.  Had to have chemo due to no other treatment for triple negative and now ready to start rads.  Chemo has been hard but still feel I got off light compared to many others.  Now hoping radiotherapy will be far easier.  Have been told to start with the aqueous cream now by a friend who went through it and she said it gets the skin in good condition for when rads start so will do that.  I bought all simple shower gels and then got told by the hospital no dont use them only the simple bar soap bloody typical lol.

Heres hoping we all walk this part of the treatment.  I have 15 days plus have 5 boosters so 20 days in total.

Good luck  xxxx

Mysticalmoo

Hi. I have had my planning session and tattoos today and will be starting 15 sessions on 1st October.

I was diagnosed on 27th February, had 6x FEC-T then bilateral mastectomy with strattice/implant reconstruction on 30th July. I am having rads on left side (had prophylactic mx on right) for invasive lobular cancer throughout breast with largest over 9cm and 3/16 nodes affected. So looking forward to completing treatment on 21st October!

Feeling apprehensive because my reconstruction has been so successful and I don't want any damage. My surgeon was really reassuring about everything being ok during rads although I know many surgeons don't recommend it. He has been fantastic so far so I decided to trust him and get my surgery over in one op. I really hope he's right...!

Rebecca
Toulula

Hi I finish 10th October good luck to you xx
June_BCC

Hello Pamlicious

Welcome to the forums.
Just to let you know we also have a helpline should you want any support or practical information, the free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

pamlicious

Hi there, I will be starting in October too, but probably a week behind you my planning appointment is on Tuesday (23rd).  I have not had to have any chemo, just lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy luckily had good margins and no traces in lumph gland.  Had my op on 26 August, still sore, but getting there.  Best wishes  Pam x

wendylois

Radiotherapy in October

I had my planning session on Tuesday and am due to start radiotherapy on 13th October for 15 sessions. The last one will be on 31st October, then all my treatment will be finished, just 7 months from finding the lump at the end of March.

I had Grade 4 stage 1 triple negative, 20 mm lump on the left side. I had a 'lumpectomy' in May followed by a further 'slice' in June to get clear margins, then have had four cycles of EC with the last one yesterday. Fortunately I've hardly had any side effects, apart from losing my hair but I've got two super wigs. I wore a 'glam'  Raquel Welch one (thank you NHS!) for my son's wedding on Sunday and felt a million dollars, much better than my usual hair style! The only other side effects I've had have been blisters on my toes which is probably athlete's foot - first time ever but because of my low immunity. Also watery eyes on and off, but fortunately 'off' for the wedding. I had the 'runs' after my second course but not since, so really I've got off very lightly. Let's hope radiotherapy is the same, particularly as my 91 year old mother will be staying with us for a month or so following 6 weeks in hospital recovering from a fall when she broke her right hip and shoulder so can't weight bear on her right arm yet and needs a lot of help.

I'd like to hear from anyone else starting in October.

Best wishes, Wendy