1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy in October

Mysticalmoo

Re: Radiotherapy in October

Session 11 today and getting a bit uncomfortable under arm. Feels like sunburn when it feels tight but because it's in a numb area, it doesn't hurt. Using my Radiance gel 3 or 4 times a day now...
Also saw consultant today who joyfully told me that will start to get more effect from now for last 4 sessions and then up to 2 weeks more. She has prescribed a gel and dressing pack for me to collect if I get blisters or skin breakdown! If I get to two weeks post rads without problems, then will be ok. Fingers crossed!
lynne65

Hi Pam
Well I've had my date to start it's 29th. 2 days after I get bak from my hols. Had my aloe Vera gel today so let's hope its Wat it's all cracked up to b.
How u getting on r u sore?
Lynne xx
P.s good luck to everyone else too x
Dollie7293

I'm starting Monday as well Rosie !! Isn't it a relief to finally be able to plan. I'm not looking forwRd to the daily trips to St Thomas but feel glad that I'm finally getting closer to the end. Let me know how you get on x
rosie14

At last I have a date for starting my 28 sessions! Monday!!!'
Seabreeze

Hi HelenRose and Pamlicious
I found that time seemed to vary too, I think its just perception of time when lying there contemplating the world! Am aware that every few days they also do an x- ray (I think as additional alignment/ quick check purposes) before the zap. Hope it continues to go well for you, it's remarkably how quickly it goes. If you do get fatigue be gentle on yourself when you leave post zap and towards the end of the day.
Seabreeze
pamlicious

Hi Jaye, I have had 5 session but on 3 different machines so - thats the answer.
I am St James, Leeds.

Thanks Pam
Jaye

Hi

It will be the same time for each treatment but I went on a different machine a few times and it took longer so I asked why and was told I had been given the same dose but the older machine takes longer to give it.   So just wondered if you were on the same machine all the time.

Only time it takes a bit longer is if you are having boosts at the end of treatment

Jaye x

pamlicious

Hello HelenRose I had my 5th today I know what you mean it just makes me wonder too. Good Luck xx
Pam
HelenRose

Hello all - had session 4 of 15 today, so far so good. Did I imagine it but today the buzzing of the laser seemed to last longer and more times today than first 3 - does it change as course goes on or am I just hallucinating !! Good luck to anyone starting xx
Seabreeze

Hi Dollie,
I was told you should only use Aloe Vera if it had no additives - most sold in shops do have, to preserve them etc. I did buy a fairly large Aloe Vera plant to chop leaves off and scrape out the 100% Aloe gloup if need be but am please to say the lucky plant survived intact!
Yes - and the well intended comment - 'you look really good' when you feel knackered from fatigue - say to self - um, I may do thanks, did I look ill when I had the lump! I know people mean well and are trying to be supportive!
Dollie7293

I haven't started rads yet, but have seen several posts suggesting alovera gel from holland and Barrett. I think we're all teary and snappy. It's hard for family and friends to understand just how we feel inside. It's also hard trying to keep up the brave face for all those "how are you feeling" enquiries. Big hugs xx
Seabreeze

Hi Angel,
I think we all get emotional at times through this so try not to be hard on yourself. I heard the line 'be compassionate towards' yourself from one of the hospital team.
Sorry to hear you joined the burnt nipple club. I too had burns to the nipple area, during radio. I initially used diprobase, then diprobase with hydrogel over nipple area. Only thing was i found the hydrogel tended to be very sticky and its a difficult place to use a dressing on a nipple. I used pieces of cut up old soft t shirt (100%cotton) material in a soft maternity bra, and at times used cotton wool pads to create a gap between the soft foam disc in the bra and the skin around the edge of the nipple since the poor thing was feeling so sensitive and burnt. As soon as the boosts are over check with the radio team about whether something like Flamazine would help you. It's a cream containing silver sulfadiazine, so due to the metal you can't use it until you have had your last booster, but I found it worked really well for me since as my nipple area continued to burn for a while after radio, the cream kept the burned skin on for long enough for the new skin layer to form beneath. By using the t-shirt material it reduced friction so the burned skin slowly flaked off leaving healed new skin with no seeping. Hopefully you'll be able to use a cream like that in a few days time after your last boost. The burns do get better...
I'm yet to start tamoxifen - rather apprehensive so good to hear that you haven't been having side effects from that.
Sea breeze

angel77

morning all .. im on last 4 days of radiotheraphy (boosters) suffering from burns to how nipple area 😞 the gel the hospital gave me isnt doing anything. anybody had burns ? anybody know a good cream/gel to help with this please... including 8 boosters ive had 23 sessions and cant wait till thursday comes so my body can start to heal .also having herceptin every 3 weeks i have 12 more of them and also on tamoxifen for 5 years been on them for a month and not side affects as of yet other than hot flushes but i think since chemo ive had them.anybody else really teary ? crying everyday at the mo and very snappy 😞 .. hope your all doing well 🙂 xx

wendylois

I've had a call from the hospital where I'm due to have my first treatment at 10 a.m. "Our machine is broken, can you come in at 12 instead?" Not an auspicious start to what should be a full day for me today. 😞
pamlicious

Hi Lynne I am by nature a positive person so it does help. I defo did too much on Friday, plenty of rest over this weekend and maybe a glass of wine or two. Good advice from your radiologist. Have a wonderful holiday, will keep you posted

Pamx

pamlicious

Hi Dollie, Sore where the rad is directed which is obviously under my scar, its just sore as it was 2/3 weeks ago so far. I am wearing a bra at the moment got 2 post surgery bras from Asda they are quite comfortable, will see what next week brings.
Pam
wendylois

I'm starting radiotherapy tomorrow morning with 15 sessions planned, so should be all finished with my cancer treatment on 31st October, just 7 months from finding the lump. I hope I have as few side effects with this as I did with chemo. Apart from my hair loss (thank heaven for my lovely wigs!) and athlete's foot I felt amazingly fine throughout. Good luck to anyone starting this week. Smiley Happy

Mysticalmoo

I've now had 8 sessions (out of 15) and am beginning to feel the effects - but nothing in comparison to the chemo horrors.
Skin gets red and very hot on the evening of treatment but is cool by morning. My rib cage under the treatment area feels bruised but not sure if this is rads or stretching arm above head that has caused it. I have a stripe across my chest above boob where the radiated area meets the normal skin. It is quite dramatic and I have my fingers crossed that it fades as it looks like a bad suntan line!
I'm beginning to feel very tired and am back to napping in the afternoons but they said this was normal and can take quite a few weeks/months to improve.
Good luck to everyone else starting this coming week - time is flying for me and I hope it does for you too x
lynne65

Hi Pam
Glad ur upbeat tho, I'm sure ur strong enough to see it through. Don't forget to rest wen u need it, the radiologist told me "don't try 2 b a hero ", wen u feel like a rest have one. I can't wait for my holiday -not long now, then my rads should start just after I get back. Hope all goes well next week.
Lynne x
Dollie7293

Hi Pam. I start rads next Monday so interested to see how you're getting on. Are you sore under your arm and boob or just where rads are directed. Can you wear a bra? We have a couple of "do's" planned and would like to wear bra as feel bit undressed without. Karen
jinny2611

i i Re: Radiotherapy in October

Hi i finished chemo 24 sep and got planning 21 oct then check planning 3 nov and start 4 nov which will make 6 weeks from chemo im so worried this is far to long im trile neg with lots of nodes involved i did ring them and my onc has to be present and she away next week please any advice will help 

pamlicious

Hi Lynne

Well 4 sessions done, my wound looks a bit red again, and the soreness inside my boob that I had just got rid of is back, but no more sore than it was say 2/3 weeks ago.   I had almost got rid of a cough when I started but its back, I mentioned it yesterday and the nurse it would be because I will get getting abit 'low' so my interpretation of that is that my body is fighting the rads now not my cough.  But so far so good, we will see.

Pam x

maggyblue

Hi Atat

In answer to your question of time delay for radiotherapy. I had the operation to remove the cancer on 9th June and started radiotherapy at Norfolk & Norwich on 11th August and finished on 1st September. 15 doses and no boosters as I had a small cancer, clear margins and no lymph glands were affected.

maggyblue

Hi Atat

My week in Scotland was just perfect. A modern house with picture windows, on the seashore in Galloway with fine warm weather and no bugs! There were 5 of us at the house and we took turns to cook and I could forget about my treatments and just relax. Perhaps being by the sea helped keep the bugs away which I was pleased about as mosquitos make a bee-line for me. I had 4 lymph nodes out this time and a biopsy in the same place many years ago (I don't know how many they took out then but I had a very long scar). I believe July and August are bad in dull weather for the Scottish midge but May should be OK and is a nice month. 

lynne65

Hi Pam
Glad everything went ok yesterday & Hope today went ok too keep looking after urself, I've not had a date yet. Keep me posted
Lynne x
Toulula

I use simple soap shower bell shampoo all ok
Toulula

Do not worry all over in 10 mins just put e45on after and before bed it helps xxx
Toulula

Yes I wear soft bras all day and in bed much better xx
Toulula

Yes could not hear music had a very nasty nurse last week telling me to move down bed and move to side shouting there other ones very nice
pamlicious

Hi Lynne First rad today all went really well, so just looking after my skin now and see how things are in a few days, only in hospital 40mins max

Pamx
Atat

Forgot to also mention that I'm going to Scotland nex May, to New Lanark and am a bit worried about mossies!!
Atat

PS how was your month in Scotland, Maggieblue? Sorry, forgot to ask.

Hope there weren't any mosquitoes, bearing in mind risk of lymphoedema or did you not have any lymph nodes removed?
Atat

Hi
I had 15 sessions followed by 3 booster sessions. Whether this was because I'd been having to wait in a very long queue to have rads (would have been 10 plus) weeks at my first hospital hence my transferring to a hospital in another county for rads, where the other ladies had had their surgery 4-5 weeks before, or because I'd had to return to theatre because my margins went clear, or whether I was at a hospital (2nd) where they were more cautious, I don't know, anyway, I was delighted. I stayed at a hotel during the week and travelled home (40 mins away by train) at weekends.

Maggieblue - how long did you have to wait, after all you were at the only hospital in that county that provides radiotherapy?
Atat
Choock

Hi All
I was told use simple soap!aquaous cream and or E45.
I was just wondering why some people have the boost and others don't. I had a tnbc, grade 3, stage 2, no node involvement. I'm booked for 15 sessions x
Jaye

Funny how all hospitals are different.  Where I went we weren't offered gowns - you just stripped to the waist in the treatment room and put your clothes on a chair next to the machine lol

Hope you are all doing well with your treatment

Jaye x

pamlicious

Hi Lynne  Will do, I am still sore on the inside and have a very sensitive nipple, the scar on my breast looks not to bad to say, under my arm is healed but very red, need to get on with the treatment now Pam x

maggyblue

Hi Atat. Well I guess it wasn't a general corridor but it wasn't a nice place to wait. At the Norfolk & Norwich all the radiotherapy patients for the 5 Linacs sit in a waiting room (no windows and freezing air conditioning) until they are called to go to some cubicles to change. We had to put our belongings in a plactic supermarket basket and take them along the corridor to sit outside the rooms that the staff use to monitor the Linacs. You have to wait until they come and get you to go in for treatment. At least when you were lying on the machine they have a picture of a cherry tree on the ceiling, lit to make it look like a ceiling window, so you could look and think nice thoughts. They played some background music but I couldn't really make out what music it was as it was very low and the machines aren't quiet.  I found it all rather scary but the staff were lovely. Hope your experience was better and that you are doing well now. 

Atat

Waiting in a corridor?!!!!!! Where on earth was this?!!!
maggyblue

My hospital said only Simple soap, aqueous cream or E45, no deodorant with metal in it. I found that I had reactions if I used anything except the simple soap or aqueous cream. I used shampoo for new borns too so I didn't get anything perfumed on the breast during showers.  I finished rads on Sept 1 and the oncologist was pleased with how my skin was but two weeks later I got dark red marks under my arm, sore and the skin eventually peeled. It has healed well now but I don't know if it was just the rads or the fact I used E45 shower gel under my arm before the marks appeared. Better to be careful as it is no fun being sore! I got really fed up with no deodorant in the summer. I find the Pitrock crystal spray stuff works well. Also I needed soft seamless bras all the time as my breast was a bit swollen and the area where my nipple was/scar now is exactly where most bras have seams. Best to go get soft bras beforehand as you don't want to keep trying on bras when you are sensitive. I too found the hospitals freezing cold and took a dressing gown to wear while waiting outside the Linac in the corridor.

Atat

Just go by what your rads dept tell you re skin care, deordorants as they all say something different!!!!
rosie14

Thanks ladies!
Dollie7293

I have my planning appt tomorrow. Have been using e45 to prepare. Wondering about getting soft bras in case of soreness. Radio starts 20th
lynne65

Hi Pam
Let me know how u get on would like to know. U still sore tho? I am around th breast where lump was not scar.
xx
pamlicious

Hi Lynne

As mentioned my radiotherapy starts this Tuesday, a little apprehensive but its got to be done, good luck to you, have a good holiday.   We have booked for 3 weeks in January to Egypt - cant wait.  

Pam

Roxie65

Hi Rosie

I was told I could wash with simple soap only but had to be the bar not the shower gel.  Also to use Aqueous BP cream twice a day.  No deoderant at all or other soaps until at least two weeks after radiotherapy finished.

Hope this helps.

xx

lynne65

hi Rosie
No products to b used on skin at all before going into treatment room freshly showered they said ,they advised me last week. When you get home u can use deodorant but they advise plenty of aloe Vera to area after each shot of rad (must b 90+% tho,the purer th better) nurse recommended start using this now well before treatment as gets skin prepared so I'm off to get some this week.
rosie14

Hi I have my CT planning meeting on Friday and have to have 28 sessions
of radiotherapy. I was told,not to use shower gel or deodorant during radiotherapy . Are Simple products sake does anyone know?
lynne65

Hi Pam
Like u had lumpectomy with good margin and no trace in sentinal node, my op was 1st September . Waiting for my radiotherapy start date should b beg of November as I had already booked a holiday for half term week. Good luck xx
Jaye

Hi all

I had my rads in May and started on a Tuesday and then had a bank holiday into the time.  So I had a 4 day first week then a normal 5 day week, then a 4 day week and then 2 more days the last week.   So during my 15 treatments I had two three day gaps.

Hope you are all doing well - it does pass quite quickly once you get started.

The tiredness didn't kick in for me until probably about day 11 but that can take a good few weeks to clear so try to be kind to yourself and take things as easy as you can

Jaye x

ncscooby

Hi Dollie,

Sorry to hear about your dad, wishing you and your family the best xx

In regard to missing days as the other ladies said they will tell you what's possible, but I guess we don't go on the weekends so two days in a row must be ok. There was one occasion where the machine broke on a Monday so I didn't have it 3 days, and they did indeed tag it on the end.

Mystical moo - I was breezing along thinking wow this is great just a little red then boom 3rd week literally looked like someone had singed me with the iron (shape of) fortunately I didn't burn or skin break, but like some other ladies terrible itching!
In to the 4th week I was on my boosters so it started to improve! I only finished Tuesday this week and the redness is already going down, so if your just having the 3 weeks it hopefully won't be too bad!
It's flippin freezing in the room isn't it brrrr good idea re blanket xx