cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy in October

115 REPLIES 115
Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy in October

Hi Choock, just wondered how you are and did you have chemo for TNBC with no node involvement? x
Highlighted

I was 3 weeks post rads yesterday and today I have noticed a dramatic improvement in the skin on my radiated boob. I have been very pink and itchy but it has faded to a lightly tanned colour and the rash has almost disappeared. It feels very dry now and I have been slapping on the creams which help.

I was also quite swollen and uncomfortable on the outer side (where the cancer was) and towards the ANC scar, but this is feeling much better now too! I think I am over the worst (fingers crossed!). Got my follow up on 4th December.

Good luck to those still being zapped and those newly finished. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi Lynne, I've been using double base but will try the. Aloe Vera gel too. Can't really complain, the radiographers are so lovely, although it's a production line they manage to make you feel special and you get to meet some lovely people in the waiting room. 3 more days .........
Highlighted

Don't forget the gel packs you can put in the fridge. Wonderful for cooling you down and reducing the itchiness. Available from discount stores eg Savers etc.
Highlighted

Hi Dollie
Iv been using 99% aloe vera gel. I apply it straight after treatment before I leave th hospital, wen I get into my pj's at tea time and wen I go to bed so iv got my faith in that.
I hav had no delays only 1 day they were running late but that was only 20 mins, all my appointments have run smooth with no changes yet. It must b a nightmare I'd b sleeping in th chair, we have lovely comfy big chairs. Hope u don't have to wait again tomorrow
x
Highlighted

Hi, I'm day 17 of 20. I have an odd iron shaped, light burn which is sooo itchy!! Coping ok but then I'm not working so can take it easy when I need to. I find you have to be very flexible as they are continually changing the appointment times and delays are normal. Today we were given tea and shortbread to ease the pain of a two hour delay
Highlighted

Day 10, got 5 left and so far no burn just absolutely knackered today. Still working at th mo tho but only doing 4 hours a day, don't know how long I'll b able to do it tho. My bosses have been really good and they let me come n go it's just sometimes my colleagues make me feel so guilty wen I leave early. It feels like they r rolling their eyes behind my back. I feel like shouting "do u want to swap places!" maybe in just having a bad day.
xx
Highlighted

Hi I started my 28 sessions of rads in October I have now had my 16th. Skin ok so far. I have tissue expanders which have been uncomfortable from day I after bi mx. The radiotherapy has made them feel very night continually. The doctor said this can happen during radiotherapy and told me to take paracetamol! Has anyone else experienced this? I find in the evening my legs and neck develop flu type symptoms which disappear over night. Also today I felt quite nauseous until I got home and had my lunch.
Highlighted

It is weird how things still are developing almost 2 weeks after radiotherapy finishes ... I have now got 'exit wounds' on the back of my shoulder. I have broken out in what look like prickly heat on my back which is apparently "normal" and it is soooooo itchy! So now slapping cream on front and back! My rash on the front is slowly improving and not quite so itchy.... They said that my skin could keep getting worse up to 3 weeks then should improve...
Highlighted

Last rads today and no side effects whatsoever! Very slight rectangle of pink skin but it feels quite normal. I've been so lucky all the way through my treatment, with only minor SEs from chemo too. No fatigue, just occasional diarrhoea at the beginning, and lost the hair on my head. Great wigs though. Very glad it's all over though! Well done to all of you, and best wishes in the future. Wendy

Highlighted

I haven't had shakes but I am quite tired. Trying to run around in the morning and factor in a couple of hours rest time in the afternoon. I have just finished a "binge-watch" of Broadchurch which I missed first time around - 2 episodes per afternoon was a lovely treat while I lay on the sofa under a blanket! Very lazy but after the year I've had - I feel no guilt! ;0)
Highlighted

Hi all
Had day 2 of 15 today so early days. It's comforting to know everyone seems to relate to each others different symptoms. I'm reading all ur posts, its hard to talk with friends and family some days so reading these gives me a lift knowing I'm not going through this alone, so all the best to u all, keep posting.
xx
Highlighted

Hi Pam

I had the shakes too and also put it down to fatigue.   I think I did too much straight after finishing rads and the tiredness and fatigue really hit me so take it steady and don't do too much too soon.

I've not noticed anyone else talking about the shakes but i can definately relate to it.

All the best 

Jaye x

Highlighted

Hi Mysticalmoo and all, I am day 2 after finishing my 15 rads, my skin is good and my nurse did say she would be surprised if it broke but also pointed out if it gets red, hard or hot its normal so I am awaiting those symptoms. Strangely I keep getting the shakes I have had them for around 4/5 days on and off not sure what its all about just rest for half an hour and it goes, maybe 'my' interpretation of fatigue who knows. I do get the stabbing pains too, so far no itching. Will keep you all posted. Good luck xx
Highlighted

Thought I'd post a boob-watch update as I'm now 9 days after my 15 treatments for the benefit of those following me...!

The redness seems to be calming down a bit but I have several symptoms which are developing. A dreaded itch which i can't scratch because I'm still numb after my surgery. The itch feels like a million mossie bites but I get no relief from scratching as I can't feel anything there! Anti histamines take the edge off but it comes and goes all day and night.

Also getting quite sharp stabbing pains in the breast, again they come and go but are quite painful.

But on a positive note, my skin is pretty good. A few tiny blisters developed under my breast and have burst and dried out. The itchy area looks and feels like prickly heat but it is where the corner of the square pad went... Looks a bit spotty but not getting any worse (or any better yet!).

Apologies for waffling on but if anyone out there is like me, I have been desperate to hear the mundane experiences as well as the dramatic ones. For reassurance and to know that I'm fairly normal...! 😉
Highlighted

Hi Seabreeze,
Had a template made up in the end and your right can't understand why they don't all do that in the first place. The swelling has now gone down but it did make their measuring a problem for two days so they may think twice in future lol.
Highlighted

Try the soft bras from asder £6
Highlighted

Hi e45 cream
Highlighted

Hi I used e45but forgot to put under breast so it spit and then infected cream off docter now my nipple is flaking and brown around it want to get back to swimming next month good luck to you xxx
Highlighted

Hi try e45 it helps xx
Highlighted

Yes my docter gave me tablets and no more crying it helps to get over this good luck I had 15and 2boosts put cream under breast or it will spits xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi donot forget to put cream under breast I did not and it spilt then infection got cream off docter still sore after a week but getting better every day xxx
Highlighted

Hi Roxie,
Re reaction to stickers outlining booster area - my hospital avoided using any stickers and made a template on clear transparent plastic straight off. It sounds a bit odd to stick anything to skin which is already sensitive due to the radiotherapy, hence I wouldn't worry too much about the reaction.
Hope the boosters are going ok without too much burning.
Seabreeze
Highlighted

Weeping is normal I was weeping every day ask your docter for help it helps till you are back to normal xxx
Highlighted

I was the same ask your docter for help I did now no tears xx
Highlighted

Hi do put cream under your breast I did not and had skin spit after 2nd boost now it is infected good luck xx
Highlighted

Hi donot forget to put cream on under breast I did and my skin spint now I have infection all the best xx
Highlighted

Hi All

Had 10 of 20 yesterday and so far so good only sore on the inside.  They also measured me up for my boosters and left a rectangle of stickers to mark the area ready to start boosters Thursday next week.  Over night I had an allergic reaction and they had to removed them today and do a template on plastic.  Apparently I am the second reaction they have had and I never react to anything normally.  Anyone else had this? 

xxx

Highlighted

I had 15 because I have had a skin sparing mastectomy with strattice reconstruction and implant. I think burning is more likely with boosters. I also have an amazing surgeon who recommended a aloe and essential oils gel (available online) developed by a radiotherapist in Bristol. I have used this instead of the aqueous cream recommended by the radiotherapist who I have not rated in her manner or attention. I don't know if this has helped too...
Highlighted

Now just over half way through and 9th treatment today. So far so good and no reddening yet. Let's hope it continues! Good luck to everyone else. Wendy

Highlighted

Ladies - pleased to hear you are progressing through zaps...if you are burning when you get to the end of your zaps do ask the nurse if they think Flamazine cream would help....I used it on my fair and sensitive skin for the 4 weeks post last zap and it was great cream....I flaked in a well healed manner rather than peeling...really think the cream helped a lot.
Seabreeze
Highlighted

Great stuff Mysticalmoo, hoping to follow in your footsteps and come next Monday my boob as it is now. Keep updating please. Well done! xxx and Good luck to all x
Highlighted

Great news mysticalmoo! How many treatments did you have and any boosters? I'm wondering if burns depend on strength of rads given? I'm having 15 x 40g then 5 top ups. All ok so far but still early days
Highlighted

And finished! yipppppeeeee! Still red but has not got worse since middle of last week. I have got into the habit of lifting my top and staring at my boob to check for changes every time I pass a mirror - must remember not to do it in public!!!! Good luck to everyone still going thru treatment x
Highlighted

Hi Rosie.. How are you getting on now that we've started our rads. My trains were cancelled yesterday and I ended up jumping in a cab to the hospital to avoid missing my first session, then today trains were again delayed due to high winds! Treatment wise So far so good and keeping every thing crossed. Hope you're coping with your long journey every day.
Highlighted

Hi Mysticalmoo, I have done my 11th today, same as you very fair skinned but a little more than slightly pink, but OK slapping the cream on, seen consultant today she did warn me my skin could split but in a good way and said also it may not happen. 4 TO GO YES ... Good luck to us all xx
Highlighted

I've now completed 13 of 15 and despite having very fair and sensitive skin, I'm only slightly pink! My miserable consultant radiotherapist (she is the most dour and pessimistic woman I've ever met - definitely missed the bedside manner lesson at medical school!) said will probably get worse over next 2 weeks and may split! But feeling quite lucky so far... Hoping you are all as lucky with your skin... X
Highlighted

Dollie I start on Monday also and I get fed up with people saying the worst is over there is light at the end of the tunnel. I can tell you that I am under the channel tunnel and I don't see the light yet!!' I am also,due to,start herceptin next week and I still have reconstruction to go following db mx! So I am with you this is another part of our journey that we don't want to make but have no choice! Good luck!
Highlighted

Have been feeling weepy today and not really sure why. I start radiotherapy on Monday so should be feeling optimistic that I'm nearing that light at then end of the tunnel. Anybody else felt like this at this stage? My family think I should be past all the tears by now 😞
Highlighted

Hi Seabreeze

Thank you so much for that if it continues I will ask my GP for some.

Good luck to you all xxx
Highlighted

5 down and 10 to go. So far no side effects, I'm glad to say. Rather an odd experience, and a bit of a drag having to go to the hospital every day with the joys of finding somewhere to park. Also three out of the five sessions had their times changed so I'm needing to be very flexible. Still, all in a good cause! Best wishes to everyone else having rads, and enjoy your weekend off. Wendy

Highlighted

Hi Roxie,
My GP prescribed amytriptyline for me for awhile which helps with nerve pain. It's generally prescribed as an antidepressant but in lower doses one of the fantastic side effects is to reduce nerve pain. Does also make you sleep rather epically for about 12 hours a night....which can be good or bad depending! My breast did start having a weird solid heaviness during radio which woke me when I rolled over at night....well, it didn't wake me for long when on the amytriptyline! May be worth speaking to your GP if the feeling lasts/is too disruptive.
Hope that helps
seabreeze
Highlighted

Hi Seabreeze
Thanks for the reply. I have had the shooting stabbing a pains and the prickly feeling, funny enough all over my body, but my boob is so sore as though I have done exercise without a sports bra on. Its only my nipple on the outside that feels as though its been burnt. xx
Highlighted

Hi Roxie,
I didn't have chemo but did have some prickly feeling and sharp shooting stabbing pains....is that what you mean when you say pain on the inside during radio?
Seabreeze
Highlighted

Ive been so upbeat & positive - as much for my benefit as for those around me. But got to hospital today (session 7 /15) nice and early as roadworks make journey times vary alot but absolutely no where to park ...drove round and round for 40 minutes; started to cry and just couldnt stop. Sobbed more than have since diagnosed and ended up leaving hospital, parking and walking miles back to radiotheraphy. Isn't it funny how we cope with so much and then something silly & stupid bring us to our knees xx In bed early...tomorrow's another day xx
Highlighted

had my 9/15 this morning, and my first without a bolus. Skin is starting to look sore already, but they said it would definitely be sore as they were targeting it harder. end of next week and all done (apart from Tamoxifen) having started chemo on 14 Feb. Will be glad to start recovering.
Highlighted

Wow Rosie that's some road trip, I feel guilty for even thinking my trip was bad!! Hope you have somebody to go with you xx
Highlighted

Hi Dollie I live in Cyprus and have to travel from Paphos to Nicosia every day it's a 4 hour round trip!!! There is a patients bus but I have to,drive 20 mins to it at 6.00am . Then I have to wait for it to come back at 11am. So it's 1.45pm before I get home!
Highlighted

Hi All

On day 6 out of 20 and already sore on the inside, nurse said due to having chemo treatment before radiotherapy.  I am putting on the aqueous cream but this doesnt help the inside.  Has anyone been told if there is anything we can do for this or just another thing we have to put up with?

Hope everyone is doing ok!! xx

Highlighted

Hi Lynne, I have my 8th session today and although my boob is a bit red and sore inside - its not too bad. I know the worst is probably to come so keep putting on the cream. Today I will be over half way, thank goodness its a drag going to hospital every day and my times vary so much today I am 1.00pm tomorrow its 9.24am. Getting there slowly. Pam xx