cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy in September

31 REPLIES 31
FridaK

Re: Radiotherapy in September

So far so good. I have been using the double base cream regularly. I feel a bit tired today but I think that's down to the retail therapy I did after my session. I may need to leave my purse at home today, too much temptation on Oxford Street. I also picked up cod liver oil capsules and some glucosamine in preparation for my tamoxifen starting.

I have been wearing genie bras but I am looking forward to wearing something with a bit of lift. 

pamlicious

How did it go my first session is on the 7th Oct - x
Island_gal

Hi Fridak, How is it going? Don't forget to keep moisturising!! X
Kess

After 5 days in hospital for a mystery rash and inflammation, rads put back another week so will be October now before I start 😢. Will pop over to the October thread! Good luck all hope you have minimal side effects.
FridaK

Today's the day. I have my first treatment this afternoon - the next part of the journey.

Island_gal

Sorry to hear your planning session has been put back- it's horrid waiting- one just wants to get on with it. If you would like to talk on a personal level, you can send me a private message and I would be happy to speak to you on the phone. I am no authority on BC, just another one who got unlucky- but I could help you with ways to help yourself through radiotherapy from my experience. I got lymphodeoma in my breast, which is a slightly ongoing issue- so much better now but I have to be careful lifting and caring things that are too heavy- I remember being so scared prior to the Radiotherapy, but it was so easy and the staff at St Luke's in Guildford were amazing and kind. You will meet some very brave and lovely people along the way. The downside of the radiotherapy was the journey to and fro -4 hours round trip and about 10 minutes treatment! I do hope you are feeling that you are in good hands- because you are. Please send me a message if you would like to chat, and I will send you my phone number. Take care, Jenny xx Hope you have a Happy Birthday on Wednesday- I will send you a cyber hug (and you will get a tattoo! ) it's actually like a little freckle!
FridaK

Thanks, Island Girl. Radiotherapy was put back 2 days so I start on Wednesday - my birthday. My mum has been visiting and helped get everything in the house sorted. 

I know I need to talk about how I'm feeling but I find hard to discuss this with my loved ones. I think l will take advantage of the counselling at the oncologist centre.

Island_gal

Ductal- blooming text!
Island_gal

Hello Fridak, it has been a few months since I have looked at these forums. I had my diagnosis of invasive ducal breast cancer last June. Grade 1 stage 1 - like you WLE, SNB, guide wire etc followed by 15 radiotherapy sessions and Tamoxifen. It is all very very doable, I was terrified, but found each stage of my journey much easier than the anticipation! You will have down days, but the treatment soon passes. I had a clear Mammogram in May this year, and now it's yearly mammo. The tamoxifen side effects are doable, usual hot flushes and a few aches and pains but coping. I still get scared, worry about lots of little issues, but BC changes you - makes you aware that things happen out of the blue. Be strong, you will sail through this- and talk about it- it helps. Good luck on Monday- I will be thinking of you and wishing you well. Jenny x
MrsRhubarb

Hello, Lucy. Thank you for the nice welcome. I appreciate the available support here. Woman Happy

Lucy_BCC

Hi MrsRhubarb and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you will find here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000 and lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Here's a link to further support ideas from BCC which you may find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

MrsRhubarb

Hello, everyone. I just had my fourth radiotherapy session today. I was diagnosed in June and had a mastectomy in July. I finish rads on the 1st October. I hope everyone has as easy a time with the treatment as possible.
Toulula

Yes been back and forth to hospital for the last 5 months have rads to strart on 18 this month then bone scan 30 th this month be glad when I can get my life back to normal wish you luck xxx
sheba56

Hi everyone

I start my rads on 24th not heard of the breathe and hold thing but the radiologist said they are not allowed to touch the heart which is why all the planning and measurements are so important. Started my anastrazole this morning so panicking about side effects of them. Also had bone density scan at beginning of week and gp has already phoned asking me to come in for appointment so more worry. Every day seems to bring a new problem or appointment I agree that this year is written off does anyone else feel that while we are all glad of the treatment your life doesnt seem to belong to you anymore and this brings me lots of confusing feelings.

Best thing of all though I don't have to have chemo today as last one was three weeks ago and im finished with that.

Swirly

I've just completed my rads, left side following mx and chemo. The oncologist said the heart is the most mobile organ in the body so the breathing technique is not always necessary. You can ask to have a look at the scan, it shows all the beam paths through you and they'll have it for evey treatment session as it has all the measurements on. I also had a look at the scan showing the area they are treating to help get an idea for suitable clothing for comfort and keeping the sun off. Just packed all my summer tops away so I'm not tempted to wear anything with a lower neckline or arm holes next year whilst I can see the reason!

Kess

Yes left side. They did say there were other techniques to protect the heart they could use, but they prefer this were the patient is suitable. I had an mx and am having rads to the scar and chest wall.
FridaK

I have my planning session tomorrow and start my treatment on 22nd September. I will be having 15 sessions. I met my oncologist today and she was very reassuring.

Hazelb27

Kess are you getting left side radiotherapy? Is that why you've to use the breathe and hold technique. Mines is on the left too but I haven't had to do that. My tumour was at the left side of my breast so maybe there's enough distance from the organs. I hope so anyway! The actual rads appointments are a lot quicker than planning so hopefully you won't be too sore keeping your arms up. I've still got a bit of cording too so I keep massaging it and doing the exercises to help.

Angel sorry your rads have been delayed. It's annoying when you just want to get on with treatment so it will be over. Only a week to go and that will hopefully pass quickly for you.

Hxx
Kess

Had planning today. A bit sore keeping my arms in position so long, but managed it so all those exercises were worth it. I am going to be using the breath and hold technique, which went well in practice today, although as I am mildly claustrophobic I found it a bit hard going, especially when they out the nose clip on... Actual start date not till 22, so a couple of weeks to work on a bit of cording and regaining my final bit of mobility if I can.
angel77

i had lumpectomy then chemo and now radiotheraphy which starts the 15th of sept it was ment to start yesterday but due to them not getting my CT results back its been delayed which is annoying x

Kess

I am tentatively planning to go back to work 1 Oct... I am really looking forward to getting back to "normal". not going to rush though if I find the rads takes it out of me as I want to be fit for work. beem told I am going to be using the breathe and hold technique - goggles and a mouthpiece which sounds odd but happy to give it a go if it helps protect my heart 🙂
Hazelb27

Hi Kess, it certainly does feel like it's been an age to get to this point! Zap no3 for me tomorrow. I'm hoping rads will be much easier than chemo. They will certainly be quicker anyway!

Toulula, I've more or less written this year off. I've felt at times that my life has belonged to the hospital rather than to me but as you say, we're alive and getting better so that's what matters. I'm hoping rads will fly in and then I can get back to work and real life again!

Hxx
Toulula

Same here start my rads 18 th 15then2boosts this has took 6 months out of my life back and forward to hospital but iam alive so should not moan xxx
Kess

Hey hazel I am starting this month too! Feels a long time for us to get here doesn't here...Planning next week then 3 weeks of rads to follow.
Hazelb27

Thanks for the tip about the cream Pinky. I've been slathering on aqueous cream and I've only had two rads so far 😄. Sorry your treatment is delayed Rosie but it must be for the best or they wouldn't have recommended it. I was strangely nervous although I'd been assured it was painless and quick. It is both! In and out in 15 mins. Hope my skin holds up ok and that I don't suffer too many side effects.

Hxx
rosie14

Delayed by 3 weeks due to inflation of tissue expanders!!!!
pinky3

I have nearly finished my rads. It has been going well, pretty tiring and looking quite red now. My breast has been more painful than since surgery and an area of rib adjacent is also sore, but nothing too bad.

I am so looking forward to later next week when I won't have the long drive to the hospital!!!

Best wishes to all just starting and here is a tip I found helpful - keep your moisturizing cream in the fridge, it is so much more soothing when kept cooler.

Xx

rosie14

Let's hope it is easier than chemo Hazel! Thanks Alice! X
Hazelb27

Thanks Alice. I am hoping I follow your example and get through rads easier than chemo! Hxx
alice45

Hazel, just spotted you on this thread - do hope the rads go well. I found it easy peasy compared with chemo, as you can imagine...! Rosie, hoping all goes well with you, too.

A xx

Hazelb27

Hi Rosie,

I have my first one today. Having 25 and 4 boosts. I had chemo first and then lumpectomy with ANC. I've been told rads are a lot easier than chemo so fingers crossed that's true!

Hazel x
rosie14

Radiotherapy in September

I have my first appointment on Friday already had chemo and db mx!