Radiotherapy on hold and referred for genetic testing

I am six weeks post op. Had a WLE for high grade DCIS with clear margins. I had my oncologist appointment yesterday and fully anticipated I would walk out with my radiotherapy start date. Instead the oncologist wants to hold off on rt and fast track refer me for genetic testing. My dad had breast cancer 15 years ago resulting in right mastectomy and the removal of 19 nodes. Back then it was even rarer than now. My nan, his mum also had BC but not until she was in her 70’s. Both my dads brother and father had prostate cancer.

Has anyone else had genetic testing half way through own treatment for BC? Has anyone else got a father who’s had BC?

Moderators, please delete this duplicate post, got an error message and then it posted twice. Sorry!

Many thanks Princessbear.

Hiya

I was offered genetic testing after I was diagnosed and before surgery because of family history. It seems odd that they have only now decided that it is relevant for you, surely they were aware of your family history at the point of dx?

I was fast tracked because I said that my decision over treatment would be affected by the results and it only took three weeks.

Mary