I was told by my Onc yesterday that my recurrence rate is very low after High grade DCIS and mastectomy with DIEP reconstruction. I have opted to have a boost of radiation, 4 onc's in my MDT and they couldn't agree whether I should have radiation or not. I went to the appointment thinking the risks would be shrinkage, skin changes and hardening, but was told there is a small risk of developing lung cancer after 20 years. I'm just not sure that it's the right decision now. I'm 45 so potentially have a good few years left. I feel like the small chance of BC recurring would be easier to diagnose and treat than the small chance of lung cancer.
why is nothing ever simple?!
I recently had several changes to my recommended treatment whilst my hystology did not change, there had been 3 separate MDT meetings to discuss it and the outcome kept changing which really unsettled me. I phoned and spoke to the Breast Cancer Care supportline to get an objective view and I also had rung Macmillan supportline. They were both very supportive and gave the same advice, and reminded me I had a right to a second opinion if I was not sure or needed more information to help me make the decision. Talk to them, they are trained professionals, it helped me calm down and finally decide. In the end the reason mine kept changing was that one of my 3 tumours was Herceptin positive and would normally result in chemo and herceptin treatment but the reason they finally decided radiotherapy was enough was that my tumour was so small 4mm. I hope this helps
I had surgery on 1 Feb, wide local excision to remove 5mm of high grade DCIS. This was removed with clear margins. I was subsequently referred for radiotherapy & had appt last week to discuss this with oncologist.
At the appt I was advised that I have a Van Nuys Index of 7 (intermediate) & that radiotherapy may not be necessary so I can have it if I wish or I can decide not to have it. I had understood that a high grade DCIS should be treated with radiotherapy to reduce any reoccurrence & I am now really confused.
I have been advised that should the DCIS reoccur at some future point if I have radiotherapy this time, this will not be an option secord time around. However none of us know what will or will not happen in future so a part of me thinks that I should take any treatment available to me now at this time. I do wonder if I decide not to have radiotherapy now, will I go forward worrying every day that I have made the wrong decision.
I am generally a positive person & I am used to making decisions but I feel somewat bewildered & am not sure which way to turn. I know that ultimately it has to be my choice but is anyone else facing a similar dilemma at the moment?