Radiotherapy side effects

Hi, I feel a little awkward asking this question as I am sure there are a lot of you who have had a worse time than me. I had surgery last year and radiotherapy, my skin suffered from radiation burns quite severely and only now my breast is beginning to feel less painful. What I have noticed is that my breast is now appearing to become quite a lot smaller than it was. I know that radiotherapy can cause hardening of the tisue and shrinking. I am having real probs finding a bra to fit because of the difference. I am becoming quite conscious of it and have started to think about surgery to correct it. Does anyone know if you can have surgery after radiotherapy or have you had it. Obviously it’s not like a reconstruction which I am beginning to think may have been better in th elong run when I had the op.
Thanks for listening. x

Hello dizzyrunner

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of knowledge between them.

In the meantime you may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.

best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Dizzy - sent you a private message. :slight_smile:

I raised this with my breast surgeon yesterday as have had real trouble coming to terms with breast changes and am having counselling. My breast surgeon wasn’t keen but said that if it becomes a real problem for me then I could have the imbalance corrected but I have to wait for at least 6 months/year after treatment as changes can still occur later. Hope this helps.

Hi Dizzyrunner
I too was left with a significant imbalance and was very upset by it. No way could I find a bra to fit a 40D on one side and a 40A on the other! My breast consultant had said from early days that I would eventually be able to have the non-BC side adjusted to match the BC side, but she wanted to leave that for several months because the radiotherapy would cause the BC breast to continue to shrink. In the end I persuaded her to operate on the non-BC breast to make me symmetrical only 3 months after I had the BC surgery, and I’m delighted with the result. I don’t know how sensible it would be to attempt to increase the size of your BC breast to make it match the healthy one, since it will probably continue to shrink a bit for several years, and it could make things difficult having mammograms.
Sarah x

<Empty imported post>