339322posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy with silicone implant and stratice

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Radiotherapy with silicone implant and stratice

Hi Jude, thank you for the prompt reply, mine is a permanent implant. I asked the surgeon re rads and she said should encapsulation occur there were other options but we didn't go into this too deep. She did mention that liposuction is sometimes used to soften around the implant should this go hard. They also replace implants or I could opt for a different type of surgery. Surgeon said she'd also had patients with implants who didn't have any issues with rads.
Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy with silicone implant and stratice

Tracy,

I had a tissue expander with saline fill during an MX in February and have just had a further MX with the same again two weeks ago to the other side for the same reason as you. My surgeon part fills the implant during surgery and I haven't had any further fill. I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy through August and so far so good no adverse effect on the implant.

From your post I am not sure whether you are referring to a permanent implant or a tissue expander, but my surgeon has only had need to remove one tissue expander to date due to the effect of rads.

Jude

Radiotherapy with silicone implant and stratice

Hi, I've just had a bilateral mx with implant reconstruction on the 14th October due to lobular cancer in the 1 breast (didn't want to take any chances with reoccurrence in the 2nd breast). Originally they weren't sure whether if I'd need rads as lump only 14mm but it turned out to be 5cm of sneaky lobular cancer hiding. I'm so glad I pushed for bmx. None of this was found on mamagram, ultrasound our MRI - scary stuff! What I want to know is if others have gone through rads successfully without damaging the implant etc. if the implant was damaged did the surgeon replace this? I'm currently waiting to see if I need chemo (no vascular invasion and 3 out of 4 nodes clear but waiting on extra test for final node which they think is negative but want to be sure). Surgeon thinks they'll push for chemo due to my age, I'm 46.