Rads - Patient Transport HALIFAX to ST JAMES in LEEDS

Hi All

Has anyone used patient transport from Halifax to St James in Leeds for radiotherapy?

Just wondering what provisions are made for things like going to the loo en route and also how long it takes to get there!

How bad is it? I’ve heard some horror stories about it taking about 4 hours to get there, no loo en route, making people feel very depressed doing that for 5 days a week.

Just want to know what the score is in advance really - I’m not due to do Rads til Mid Sept/early Oct.

Cheers xxx

Can’t help you but I’ll bump this for you.
I’ll be coming from the opposite direction on a different bus in November.

Thanks Ninja.

I do not like the idea that patient transport can take 8 hours out of every day, I can’t bear the thought of doing that for a month, it’s way too much and how exhausting would it be? I can’t sleep on the move either, if I could sleep then great.

We’re going to try and figure some way around it, if it is that bad. Problem is all my mates who are local all work full time!

Hi
Being a nurse in past life the patient transport reputation has never been a good one. If it is the mini bus, then it is a collect and drop off others as you go which can take absolutely ages, different hospitals, housing estates etc. Plus sitting with a bunch of strangers. The added misery also is waiting to be brought home. If they are bringing others the transport will arrive for the last person appointment and that’s where the waiting can be a long time.
However, there is a positive, hAng in there, it is worth finding out if it is a volunteer with a car. There are so many more of them nowadays, and often they will wait and bring you straight back.
Or Could you get a train, and pay for taxi up and down to bexley wing? I would rather do that than than sit in a minibus. I will be in the same boat back end of the year and am in Bradford and am already trying to think how I can call in favours for the daily grind. Another thought comes to mind which is the local cancer support centre, who may have volunteers or help you get a grant for taxi fare.
Good luck, I full understand how you are feeling

Hi Jen

Already used a grant from Macmillan for heating.

Taxis to and from would be at least about £40 a day, it’s an hour journey there, hour back. And I have 20 sessions, so that’s not going to happen, we’re managing on £60 a week for 2 people after bills, so that’s for food and household expenses, not a lot.

I’m going to ask about volunteers too although I believe there aren’t that many in Halifax.

I really want to avoid patient transport if I can. My OH works full time in Bradford, I don’t know how yet how they’ll be at the idea of letting him off to ferry me daily, it’s a small business and he doesn’t have many holidays left and we really can’t afford to do it unpaid, we’re only just managing as it is. The financial side of cancer is horrific.

Hi,

I am having Rads at St James, just done 8/20 and also did not want to use patient transport, glad i never now i see them waiting in reception for what seems like ages. I go in on train then get a bus to St James , only £1.00 and drops you right at the door. Of course its a personal thing but i did not want lose so much time every day when you are actually only in the hospital about 10 mins !!

I have found rads to be surprisingly tiring even though i was warned this was a side effect so also bear this in mind if deciding on patient transport.

Good Luck

Sal

Hi el and sacha

It’s such a pain all the expense incurred your right. Even if I ask friends I would have to offer petrol money. I feel like I will be tied also with school times so will try get a few people to commit for the 3 weeks. I will be on half pay by then so will be tightening the belt. It’s an amazing place now at bexley but just a b*ll ache to get to. Would train be any good el depending whiere you live in Halifax?
Remember when we had normal things to worry about rather than patient transport ? Don’t think I can!

Sorry, sal not sacha!

I had rads at The Bexley wing at St James Leeds. I live in Scarborough and I took advantage of the “hotel” at the hospital. OH and I stayed Tuesday and Thursday nights. This saved on the travel every day. The rooms are fine - kettle with plenty of tea/cofee etc. Telly with an intergrated dvd, en suite and perfectly acceptable for free. This might save on travel costs. When we were there was a guy that stayed for 4 weeks going home at weekends. I know that it doesn’t answer your patient transport query but could be an alternative.

if you on low income can you not claim travel cost ?

Hi El,

Have you thought of asking your BCN to check with St James for alternatives to patient transport. I was at the Christie and one lady came every day in a car and only had to pay for the petrol. Driver told us that there were several people giving their time to do it. There may be something similar for you.

E

Good to know about the free hotel - had no idea! Thanks!

As for claiming it if you’re on a low income, we’re probably not classed as that, despite getting tax credits etc, because we have debts up to our eyeballs that cost us hundreds a month, on paper, without these debt obligations which they dont take into account, we’d be alright. As it actually stands, we’re on £60 a week for the 2 of us for food and household expenses. I don’t know how we’re going to manage to be honest.

xxxx