328129posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rads in Feb, top 10 tips?

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Rads in Feb, top 10 tips?

Lovely, think I should change my name to cycling mum and we could have a race off xx

Ok see you over there blueleyla 

See you there.x

hi Patriciamay

i have just been told I shall need radiotherapy, probably starting 16February. Originally told that it wasn't always necessary but doctor feels I should have it. So having spent the last couple of weeks thinking it might not be necessary have to come to terms with needing it. So would be interested in joining a February rads thread.

Thank you ladyB

Hi there

im going to open up a February rads thread if anyone is interested.  Would be good to see you over there.

Hi,

Just been reading with interest the top tips for radiotherapy.

After a lumpectomy and SNB just before Christmas I'm going for my radiotherapy planning appointment this afternoon. Feeling very lucky that chemo wasn't needed for me. I'll be asking lots of questions this afternoon (I like information!), and will stock up on the recommended freezer items.

I'll be having treatment on my birthday, thinking of attaching balloons for that session!

Good luck with your treatment ladies.xx

Community Champion

Jessie

Hiya, if you go on to the radiotherapy thread and winter warmers you will find loads of useful info on there from those of us who have gone through radiotherapy in the last few months.

I would say:

1. drink plenty of fluid, this is to stave off dehydration which can lead to fatigue

2.  moisturise twice daily, you need to ensure you do not put it on less than two hours before your apt, E45 is what the all recommend, however there is something called R1R2 that you have to got prescribed by your GP and that is the only thing you use through, apparently it is two different lotions, one is a moisturiser and the other is a cooling gel, but you need to use it from the get go of rads.

3. get plenty of rest, the travelling to and fro from the hospital can be very tiring

You will quite likelly find that the effect of the rads will start hitting you about half way through.

I finished my rads last Thursday but I have been advised that around two weeks after you finish is when it can cause you to be fatigued.

Good luck and know that you can always come on here and ask advise from the other ladies as you need to.

Helena xx

I am likely to start radio in Feb 2017. A friend has passed on the following tip - quite serious, honestly. Keep a Savoy cabbage in the fridge. When your breast is hot just remove one leaf and apply it! Perfect rounded shape after all ...

no personal experience but I think I'll be willing to give it a go!

I had 4 weeks of daily treatment. Apart from what has been said, I found gel packs me pt in fridge wonderful for cool down breast when hot and itchey, & spending time standing right up against Sainsbury chiller counters!!!
Highlighted

I had radiotherapy last September- 3 weeks every day! I was really worried about tiredness and fatigue, I had just gone back to work part time, ( I had 3 months off after surgery) Compared with chemo it was a walk in the park! I never got any tiredness I kept waiting for it to kick in but it never did.
The only thing I had which I think everybody gets was a burn on my boob - E45 was really good for that and it went after a few weeks, also radiotherapy is great for drying up scars mine have faded really well.

Good luck and best wishes Emma.

Hi SKY46

I didn't need chemo but I have done the radiotherapy. I was 'looking forward' to having a few minutes every day where I could shut my eyes and relax. Well you can forget that! Each session actually took 36 seconds. Yes seconds. It was a walk in the park, honestly. I was given Aquamax before the sessions started and I started using it every day for a couple of weeks before treatment started. I then used it twice a day during treatment, and then (like the other lady) bought pure Aloe Gel and kept it in the fridge for when you start to itch. And you probably will. You may pink up a little but it stops about 10 days after treatment stops. 

Oh and take a tissue in case you start to dribble in the waiting room! Occasionally the appointments ran a bit late and I had a bit of a wait. Well, I used to fall asleep at the drop of a hat - they called me Snoozy!

Best of luck. This last bit is not even a hurdle!

Gill

A layer of 100% cotton tshirt material between your skin and the bra to reduce friction, particularly near the band.
Bravado bra has a v wide soft band which I found good - while I did burn near boost area I didn't have problems with skin under the breast like some people experience and think the combo of bra and fabric really helped.
Hope it goes as smoothly as it can for you
Seabreeze

Oh, and comfy soft cotton bra with no under wire and wear cotton clothes next to your skin! 

I would say drink plenty of water, tons and tons. The radiotherapy can create toxins in your system that can cause tiredness and need flushing out.

Also, use a moisturiser daily (they will suggest one) and if they suggest a soap, use it properly over the area. Get some 99.99 % aloe vera gel if you pink up, and keep it in the fridge to soothe  your skin.

Find out exactly which area is being treated for your moisturiser. That's it I think! 

Hello Sky46

Welcome to the forums, you've come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence you may like to phone our helpline  where you can talk to a member of staff who are there to support you. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Rads in Feb, top 10 tips?

Hi all! This is my first post so please forgive me if this has been done before! I had my 5th chemo on NYE, and the last one will be 22/1, then will be moving on to radiotherapy I guess sometime in Feb 2015. I have largely ignored looking at the radiotherapy, and have concentrated on getting through the chemo, I can't actually believe I'm getting there at last, but I wondered what any of the lovely ladies who are already in the radio treatment would recommend as top tips for getting through it? Xx