1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rads on Masectomy area

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Rads on Masectomy area

Re arms...I had problems with my left arm after MX and ANC during 6 weeks of rads. I had bilateral cancer so to start with I was being zapped for about an hour with both arms in the clamps! Over the weeks my left arm (right was fine after WLE and SNB) got very stiff and there were days it was simply not going anywhere near the plastic clamp! It was very uncomfortable so they resorted to using a bandage to sort of tie it to the clamp, but then had to spend more time taking images to check this wasn't messing up measurements! I started to take painkillers half an hour before my appointment which did help. I was also told to try and get an urgent physio appointment during rads (couldn't get one of course!). With hindsight I'd have got physio before, during and after rads to see if that would have helped.

Hi Donna,

I had rads 5 wks after surgery as I'd had chemo first. My scar was 9 inches long and I had a full anc as well. It had healed well and the surgeon had done a great job. They did the rads over the whole chest wall area, underarm and neck and for the most part my skin held up during the rads. The cooking continues afterwards for 2/3 weeks and that's when my skin started to get itchy and red etc. As I have very sensitive skin and E45 and aqueous cream are both no-gos, I used the 99.99% aloe vera gel with the approval of the onc and rads nurses. I did end up needing a hydrocortisone/antibacterial cream (Fucidin???) but that sorted it all out in a couple of days. Just watch the skin breakdown so you don't get an infection.

Yep, the arm in that position is awful but I had physio before and after and that helped a lot as it worked the scar tissue and the pulling of the stiff muscles. See if you can get a referral for some after rads.

This was all Feb 08 and my skin is fine, although there is a feint brown square where it was done.

You may well get a very odd tired feeling as you go along. It's particular to rads but eventually goes. Try to go with the flow.

Liz

Guest user
Not applicable

Thankyou ladies..

I went on Monday to be tattoed and scanned,, boy oh boy those stirups i had to put my elbows in really pulled on my mx area,it really hurt after and now im feeling scared that i wont be able to stand 20 sessions which start on the 5th Aug,,,

has anyone else struggled but all went ahead?.

i was also told i could not use aloe vera gel only aqueaous or e45
and wash with simple soap..

i hate my mx scar its still hard, it feels like im touching a brick wall.. i hope it goes

love
DONNA
XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,

I had 15 rads after my mx but with chemo in between so my scar had had approx 6 months to heal. For the first half of the rads they put a bag of something I can't quite remember over the area whic I believe was to help the skin etc but which the treatment would still penetrate. I had no real soreness, certainly no blisters and a year on am still looking quite tanned in that area!!!
I was told to use aqueous cream on the area which I did every day.

Good luck Donna with your rads, hope this helps,

Jane xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Donna
I had my chemo first so rads followed about 8 weeks After surgery. My scar had healed by then. My BCN had told me to gently massage the scar with cream. It certainly helped to soften it up. I was lucky with my rads. I followed advice and kept the skin moisturised and other than the area going quite pink it never actually burnt. The area used to be hot during the evening so as long as I was on my own I used to sit and watch TV topless. It certainly helped cool down

Good luck

Andie

Hi Donna

I had chemo first, then MX then rads so I was about eight weeks down the line from surgery, but they won't start them until your mx has healed anyway so you should be free of mx se's by then. I had a nasty seroma that just wouldn't go away and some cording that made raising my arm difficult, so they just kept checking me until it the seroma went and I just kept doing the excercises and eventually had the rads.

Sadly I did get some blisters and these started about two weeks after finishing - but I know of more women that have sailed through rads without blisters than ones who blistered like me and I'm sure they'll be along soon to confirm this.

I used Aloe Vera pure gel; great for cooling the skin.

Good luck D x

Hi Donna

I had rads on my mastectomy side and clavicular nodes. I did have them after chemo treatments i.e. 7 months after surgery, so maybe my wound was pretty much healed. I had no problems whatsoever, a funny colour, a bit of itching, but that was it. Do put your cream on regularly though, I didn't and got told off by the onc halfway through treatments lol

Deb xx

Hi Donna

Ive had mx too but mine was back in December so not quite in the same position as you. Had chemotherapy and now had 13 of 25 rads. So far my skin just pink and not sore - have been putting E45 and aloe vera gel on which are soothing and hopefully helping keep my skin in better condition.

My radiotherapist said that the effects on the skin usually peak about 2 weeks after treatment finishes so maybe someone who's finished will be able to answer your question properly.

Hope everything goes ok on Monday.

Helen x

Guest user
Not applicable

Rads on Masectomy area

Hello Ladies,,

I had a mx 6 weeks ago and im healing ok,, its still alittle sore at times and hard and numb,,
im going for my markers on monday and to meet the rad team at the QE in b'ham..

my question is,, all ive heard is bad things about rads burning, blisters etc,, so im scared that ill have that on top of my se's of mx...

anyone else had rads on mx area?

thanks for your time

Donna
xx