Random thought in the middle of the night!

Why is it that we get cannulated in the hand to have chemo, but blood is taken from inside the elbow? Just curious and I know someone here will have the answer.

Thank you! Angelfalls xx

Maybe we have bigger veins in our elbows which makes it easier to take out the blood - I think it’s a bigger needle for blood than the cannula one that chemo goes in - blood is thicker than chemo drugs!

I don’t really know the answer but just supposing after I had to have blood out of the back of my hand when all the veins disappeared in my elbow on Tuesday. The nurse had to get a smaller needle.

Hope this helps - but I’m sure someone who really knows the answer will be along shortly!

Julie

Hi Af,

The first time I had chemo, the nurse was - in her own words - trying to be clever and put the cannula in and tried to take bloods and then gave me the chemo. Ya, one stabbing rather than 2 if it works!! But it simply didn’t work. She couldn’t manage to get any blood out of me from the hand. Made a fool of herself and had to apologise.

I guess she’ll never do that again!! And she was kind of head of the nurses if you know what I mean. I’m sure that bit of info was passed on during the nurses meeting and they were told not to do that.

M xx

It’s strange how everything is different wherever you are in the cow try. My hospital in Hertfordshire uses the canula only. It’s put in then bloods are taken and tested un the unit before drugs go through so only one stabbing each time.

Carolyn

My elbow veins have given up the ghost on my one good arm (gone into hiding), so have to have blood taken froom my hand which hurts more.
I have a portacath fitted now and I will hopefully have my bloods taken from there when ever I can but only a few nurses can use the portacath and the main blood dept are not trained to access it.

Medical staff are trained to cannulate as far down the arm as possible and then work upwards if the veins shut down. Cannulas can be placed in the bend of the arm but the patient is then obliged to keep arm straight so this may not always be comfortable for hours on a chemo drip…
Blood can be taken from a cannula as soon as it is inserted, but not after the cannula has been used to administer any fluid or medication.
Blood is mainly taken from the veins in the bend of the arm because there is a good angle and plenty of room to attach those small lab bottles that collect the blood. If hand veins are used, a butterfly needle is used, which has a length of tubing attached to it, and then this can be manouvered to allow room for the blood bottle.

Thanks, everyone! I knew I’d get great answers here.

The reason I was wondering is that the veins in my hand are just not playing ball with the chemo and I’m only on number 4 out of possibly 18 doses… I had ANC at initial dx, so they can only use the one hand and apparently, my veins won’t have recovered from the 8 cycles of chemo I had 9 years ago!!! I had no idea they don’t recover… Anyway, I wonder whether they’ll move further up my arm or put a line in… Watch this space!

Have a great weekend xx

they wont put chemo in the bend of your arm because the veins are deeper there and they would not be able to see quick enough if the chemo leaked into the tissue xxx

Samlou, that can’t be right. My veins in the crook of my elbow are pretty close to the skin.

I am no expert, but I think they do back of the hand 'cose if the veins give up there, which they will on FEC, they can move up your arm.

Angelfalls, 9 years and your veins still not recovered! Blimey! I think if you have to have so many doses and your veins are shut then they will give you a PICC line…

Hi,
Yeah its right. My friend is an oncology nurse. xxx

I am surprised - I am doing Tax now, there is no need to see if the chemo leaked into the tissue like with FEC.

I did ask my onc nurse and she said the reason they use the hand is to have ‘spares’.

But who cares really? I don’t want any cannula or needle in my hand arm or crook of my elbow! :slight_smile:

Hi

Different units different approaches, I also get cannulated and bloods taken from back of hand with one needle. I am difficult to cannulate but they have managed so far. I had emergency admission last week and they took blood from all over being dehydrated made it more difficult

I think samylou may be correct that the back of hand easier to monitor than deeper veins and less problems with positional problems

love poppy x

Thanks, ladies!