Re: Just had surgery

Hi, I’m 39 years old and was diagnosed with breast cancer in Dec 2012. I had an operation to remove a 9mm tumour and 7 lymph nodes, 1 of which turned out to be positive so I have since had a full clearance of my nodes and I’m pleased to say they were all clear. I also found out I was HER2+ and am now awaiting an appointment with the Oncologist to discuss the next step although they have told me it will be chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy and Herceptin treatments and tamoxifen tablets for several years. This all seems to have happened so quickly and I find myself experiencing various emotions. The hardest part for me will be explaining to our two girls who are only 6 and 3.
My husband has been very supportive but I know deep down he’s just as scared as I am. The consultant did tell us that my prognosis was good as the cancer was quite small but as I am fairly young it was aggressive and Stage 3.
I’m taking one day at a time so far, I’m not sure what else one can do…

Hi Zeta

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support. I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you the benefit of their experiences.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis. As well as the support you receive here you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator