cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-excision as margins not clear

3 REPLIES 3
chillipink

Re: Re-excision as margins not clear

Hi dolly .I had 2 wle's with unclear margins so after 2 I was told the breast was playing tricks and it needed to come off .so I had mastectomy with diep September last year.after 2wles I eventually had to have breast off after all but the way I coped was at least I tried to keep the breast .put your trust in your bc surgeons. If it needs to Come off they will advise it.
Susie01

Dollybeads, I had a lumpectomy last May and the results came back as no clear margins, so then I had another operation to remove more tissue and also lymp node clearance as cancer was also found in my lymph nodes. I was then told there was still not enough clearance and landed up with a mastectomy in July. I wish I had perhaps pushed for a mastectomy second time, but my surgeon did not think this was necessary, but would have saved me an a operation! (I had 3 in total). I think as you have large breasts you may be fine just having more tissue removed which they could not do with me as I am small busted, but I was fine after each op and recovered well. If you have to have another op, hope it goes well and take care xx.
Lucy_BCC

Hi Dollybeads

Whilst you await replies you are welcome to call our helpliners to talk your concerns over, lines re open in the morning at 9am and usual hours are 9-5 weekdays and 10-2  Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care

Lucy BCC

dollybeads

Re-excision as margins not clear

Hi all

I have had WLE and SLNB on the left on 4 December, got the results which showed the margins around the tumour were not clear (2 areas).  My LNs are clear yay!.  Had a further re-excision on Thursday 2 Jan but now feeling v anxious about the results and what might need to happen if the margins are still not clear.  I did discuss with the surgeon, and he did indicate he does occasionally do a further re-excision (he said as I have larger breasts they could possibly take it without to much loss of symmetry.  But also masctecomy would be a possibility.

I feel really good following the most recent surgery, but had a really rough time first time around with nerve pain and a serious infection in my axilla which is still being packed and dressed daily.

I would be very grateful to hear of anyone's experience of having further re-excisions and what the treatment options where if the margins remained unclear.

Gentle hugs to everyone out there recovering from BC in whatever form x x x