cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading suggestions?

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Reading suggestions?

Hi Supertrouper

I managed to get hold of a copy of the TV movie 'Lipstick' based on the true story book 'Why I Wore Lipstick: To My Mastectomy' [Paperback]by Geralyn Lucas
ISBN-13: 978-0312334468 and I have just finished watching it.

I thoroughly recommend both as a must-read book and a must-see TV movie- the TV movie follows the book very well, and even though I didn't fare as badly as she does through her chemo, I can certainly identify with her life between finding her lump and her mx.

It is truly inspiring for all breast cancer women, but especially younger ones as Geralyn was only 27 when she was diagnosed. It does have a happy ending, but you will cry buckets before you get there so have a big box of tissues by you when you read the book or watch the TV movie.

Happy reading and viewing to you all

Mazzalou xxx

Thanks Margaret - I've found a copy of that book on Amazon and ordered it.

I must say I like to read books that end badly too, so please don't anyone hold back on that account. After all, people don't have to read them just because they're mentioned here.

One book that doesn't end badly - I think the author is still alive and had no recurrence, as far as I can tell - is out of print (appeared in 1995), but you can get a second-hand copy, e.g. at abebooks or bookdepository: Elisa Segrave, Diary of a Breast. It's both serious and very witty - she had to cope with an alcoholic mother who was no help at all, and was always trying without success to publish her writing. She doesn't trivialize anything, but she has a good eye for other people's reactions.

Margaret

I agree whole-heartedly here. Only books that give out the feel-good factor please, now is not the time for weepies as we must all have done our fair share of that up until now.

If you fancy a real good belly laugh watch this and I promise you you will end up laughing as much as the baby in the clip! I hope the link works for you - just copy and paste it into your browser. Shame that it's not a full-length feature film though!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4abiHdQpc

Enjoy

Mazzalou xx

SuperTrouper you make a really important point I have avoided making until reading your comment... there are some superb (auto-)biographical works out there but so many of them end 'sadly since this book was published...' for anyone just starting out that is the last thing you need to hear.

Lots of good blogs out there (several by folk who post/have posted on here) but be careful, things on the web aren't always what they seem at first sight (voice of experience; burned fingers). Plus of course sometimes the blogs we follow end with heartbreaking news. Books or films are probably 'safer' as a general rule

PS Love the new piccy and the gorgeous dog

I have read The C Word and it was inspirational until I started following Lisa Lynch's blog - she has been diagnosed with cancer in her bones and brain and this time it's incurable - not a read that I would recommend now.

Hi there

Lipstick is quite often shown on True Movies Channel. I have recorded it on Sky and have watched it a few times.

A book I can totally recommend is The C Word by the amazing Lisa Lynch. She was diagnosed at the age of 27/28 and also writes a fantastic blog. An absolute inspiration .....!

She xx

Let me know if you manage to remember how to record it onto DVD Supertrouper before I resort to Amazon only having another op next Monday so lots of things to organize without resorting to internet shopping I'm afraid!

OOOhhh thanks ST - i hope they will replay it on ture movies again - will check once the lo's DVD ends!!

GIJaneH - that's one of the ones i had seen mentionned but couldn't remember what it was or where i had seen the reference! lol! thanks!

Marina

Just found the film on Amazon - £16.99

Hiya Mazzalou

We have Sky and it was on True Movies so probably not available on the iPlayer. I have still got it stored and could probably copy it onto a DVD if I can remember how to!!

Wish I had known that it was on TV Supertrouper - can you remember which channel it was on as I will see if I can catch it on the iPlayer? I probably missed out because of the title being 'Lipstick'

Her account of chemo in the book is not what I experienced either, but then we are all individuals and I guess that some have a rougher ride than others.

Glad to hear that the film is inspiring as is the book and certainly worth reading, mgsm

The film of the book "why I wore lipstick to my mastectomy" which was shortened to "Lipstick" was shown on TV last Thursday. I recorded it and watched it 3 times - the bits where she goes through chemo were not what I experienced - she seemed to spend most of her time throwing up or wandering around looking like a ghost. It was a good film and one that inspires hope beyond bc.

I enjoyed reading the following true story:-

Why I Wore Lipstick: To My Mastectomy [Paperback]by Geralyn Lucas
ISBN-13: 978-0312334468

Geralyn Lucas

If nothing else it will make you grateful for the NHS and the treatment we take for granted here in the UK compared to that offered (or not!) in the USA

The story line is that shortly after graduating from Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, Geralyn Lucas lands her dream job working for 20/20. Lucas is then diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 27 and has a dilemma - whether to have a lumpectomy or the potentially safer mastectomy. After consulting several doctors (including her husband) and researching the operations she decides to undergo a mastectomy. Her subsequent chemotherapy treatment leads to tensions within her marriage but the couple stays together. She also has breast reconstruction. Geralyn eventually does go on to become a mother, something she feared she would be unable to do. Geralyn meets several "angels" in the story, people who have been in similar positions to her and are able to dispense good advice.

The title refers to her belief that only confident women wear red lipstick.

Happy reading!

Seen several people on here say how much they've enjoyed The Help - and I thought it was fabulous too (Kathryn Stockett) there was a book thread... might try to find it and bump it up.. Jane

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Choccie muffin - sounds good i think i will try that one first!!

Marina xx

I really, really enjoyed "The Emperor of All Maladies" by Sid Mukerjee, who is an American oncologist. It's the story of cancer and its treatments, and quite the opposite of being a bit depressing I ended up feeling a lot more hopeful than when I'd started. I think it even won a Pulitzer prize, and is very well written as well as being extremely interesting. I've been raving about it since I finished it.

If it's more general reading you're after - maybe even a chance to forget BC for a while - this thread might be worth a look.

http://share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30919&p=526030&hilit=book#p526030

Good luck with chemo.
Dx

Hi Goosey,
If it's cancer books you're after, these are the ones I posted a few months back (I copied from other post!). I assume this was the kind of reading you were after, rather than novels you might enjoy! Though novels are definitely good too.

After Breast Cancer: A Common Sense Guide to Life After Treatment, by Hester Hill Schnipper (cool name!) pub. Bantam 2006 (2nd ed). This is described as the 'follow on' from the famous Dr Love's Breast Book, and so of course reflects a USA context, but it's good, and does what it says on the tin (or cover, anyway)

The Cancer Survivor's Companion: Practical Ways to Cope with Your Feelings after Cancer, by Dr Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins, pub. Piatkus 2011. This is a British book, endorsed by BCC's clinical advisers, and is essentially a practical self-help book. Rocket science it's not, and if you've done any counselling or pastoral care training won't show you much new, but helpful. Lots of 'case studies' to illustrate ideas. Covers cancer generically, not just bc. Very down to earth and 'grounded'

Can Survive: Reclaiming Your Life After Cancer, by Susan Nessim and Judith Ellis, pub Houghton Miflin, 2000. Again a US book and obviously now a decade old. Nonetheless, good, practical stuff.

Moving Forward: For People Living With and Beyond Breast Cancer, free from Breast Cancer Care. In a nice cream coloured folder, a series of leaflets and a DVD addressing practical stuff about life after treatment in UK context. You can order at the main website (I did) or some hopsitals offer it. Basic information, clearly presented. It's not a self-help guide, but it is very useful.

(Edit - ambiguous sentence!)

i've bought two books (so far)
Dr.Susan Love's Breast Book (Its american but full of very useful stuff)
I have found this very informative - it was first published years ago but is updated often. I think you'll find that others will recommend this too.
the other book was in french so i could look up all the terminology in case the doctors/surgeon/nurses didnt speak english.The surgeon does so no problem there.but thats no use to you!!!!
I'd be interested if anyone knew of any novels that dealt with the issue...

Reading suggestions?

I have noticed quite a few references to books that different people have read which they have found useful, inspiring, etc ...

and as i am at the start of my chemo and then rads journey have time to actually read - normally never seemed too - always too busy!!

so suggestions please ladies!

Marina