Really bad memory !!!

Hi ladies

I finished active treatment in August 2012, chemo/rads and I am on Tamoxifen for the forseeable, now my memory is the pits :frowning: its getting worse by the day so much that last night I took 2 tamoxifen as I honestly couldnt remember taking the 1st one so took another and then it slowly dawned on me that I had ! today I went shopping and couldnt remember if I had turned off a gas ring before I left, I had but came all the way back to be certain as I honestly couldnt remember … Its getting a real worry as it seems to be getting worse and worse, is anyone else this bad ?

L x

This is my first post on here, although I’ve been on tamoxifen for 4 years now and yes, my memory and awful! I struggle to think of the right words to use sometimes and often feel like I’ve been out on the beers because I’ve forgotten so much information! As good as the stuff is, I’ll be glad to see the back of it and I’m counting down the months until I finish in April 2016! I feel your pain Lottie63…I think :wink:

Hi Lottie, I hear you on this! I’m not so bad, most of the time (can’t remember lol)
I would like to share a tip from a lovely lady who also has this problem: get a weekly pill box. One compartment per day of the week. Load it up for the week and you’re sorted:) It’s way better than reminders on phones and alarms and things. I mean, you can turn those off and still not have done something (well I can anyway!).
I think you can pick them up at chemists, or a pound shop?
x x

Well ladies, this is interesting! I had triple neg bc so not on any tamoxifen etc so can’t blame memory loss on that! I definitely think it’s the chemo! Really find this quite challenging now I’m back at work, but my lovely class are very helpful at reminding me of what’s happening/where I’ve left things etc! 

Hi L , I Know what you mean about having a bad memory. I’m  on tamoxifen  and blame this for my bad memory.  Last week  i left my iron on all night  in the spare room and only realised  when i went in there the next morning,  and smelled a funny smell. When I  realised  it was the iron, the handle had burned . So lucky, could’ve  set the house on fire!!!

Hello ladies,
My goodness, my memory is so bad at the mo. Had 6 fec75 and now been on tamoxifen since August last year. Decided to get a pill box last November because I kept forgetting to take/whether I’d taken my tamoxifen. Only prob now is that I’ve got to leave my pill box on my kitchen counter in my line of vision, or, yes you’ve guessed it, I forget to notice my pill box and subsequently forget to take my tamoxifen! Some of my friends tell me it’s my age (I’m 52) and that they have bad memories too, but nothing like me. Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s affected by this, coz it does play on my mind that something more sinister could be going on in my brain. Can’t stop them gremlins unfortunately!!!

Hi Lottie and CassieB,

I agree with you Lottie that it’s more to do with the treatment I have endured, rather than my age. Thanks for the phone tip Cassie, but unfortunately I’ve tried that one. I work shifts and can never get a stable time on a daily basis when I can have my phone go off and have my tamoxifen near by. And then there’s the fact that I can’t remember where I’ve put my phone (or car keys, house keys, bank cards . . . . .the list goes on and on!!!)

Take care x x Ann x x

There is baby brain - proven, chemo brain - well recognised, I think there is also ‘cancer brain’ from the going through the diagnosis and treatment all of which is life changing.
I’ve not yet had my chemo, but already I find it really difficult to think clearly, or remember what would ordinarily be easy - started writing lists
I don’t know if the memory improves - but it will be about finding strategies to compensate and work round?

Thank you Maryland, for the chemo brain study link. It’s always reassuring to know there are facts behind our symptoms and side effects. I’m 52, too, and determined to try and regain some mental agility! I’ve just finished chemo and having to relax into not remembering words for the moment. It’s quite an interesting ( if frustrating ) phenomenon. Will just have to enjoy the internal world a little longer and concentrate on creative pursuits…
Natalie x

Yes lottie63, they are.  I’ve been misplacing words for a while now, I can’t leave the house without compulsively checking the stove, doors, windows, etc. (having once left some eggs boiling on the stove when I went to the Turkish Baths, not a relaxing experience when I remembered…), can’t find keys, glasses, obviously can’t remember why I went upstairs - or downstairs, today my husband found my bank card in my dressing gown pocket.  I’m sure I had a good reason for putting it there, but…

The checking thing started before the cancer, sparked off by being harassed at work over 2 years, but the elusive words and misplacing things is more recent and has got worse since I started on Tamoxifen.  I was on Anastrazole for app 3 years but swapped due to the joint and muscle pains, only to get the leg cramps.  I don’t remember having the same memory problems on Anastrazole.  What makes it worse is my Dad died of dementia and I’m always on the lookout for it. 

Research helpfully points out the taking oestrogen can improve memory problems.  Great!  However, I finally decided it’s better to accept that it’s happening and try and manage it rather than stressing out about why it’s happening.  So, pill boxes, phone alert for Tamoxifen, shopping lists, To do lists, etc.  Also I found this article useful, especially the bullet points:

cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping-with-cancer/coping-physically/sex-hormone-symptoms-and-cancer/coping-with-sex-hormone-symptoms/memory-and-concentration

I noticed it’s harder to multitask and do things on autopilot like I used to, I need to focus more on what I’m actually doing, e.g. in the kitchen if I’m tidying up like a mad thing, I need to look at the thing I’m putting away or I might put it in the wrong cupboard.  Memo to self: Don’t do things on the fly.  Slow down. And try not to obsess about it because that just makes it worse. 

Hope you’re feeling better

M x

Hello Lottie

Bit of a delay but just seen your post - my memory / focus / concentration is awful (finished last Apr) 

I have lists but forget or ignore them! 

Oncology has head in sand it is not recognised I don’t think

Perhaps they think I make it up!

Hope you manage to cope xxx

Hi all. Talk about bad memory. Tonight for tea, I thought I’ll  do some nice salmon fillets,  heated up the oven to correct temperature  had the salmon wrapped in foil, oven reached the temperature,  set the oven for 20 minutes, waited for salmon to cook. Looking forward  to this. Bing bong, 20 minutes later ,yay ready. No!!! I fogot to put them in. Everything else  was ready  but the salmon!!  So in the end I had to microwave them. Can’t  believe  I  did that, lol. Must be the Tamoxifen! !!!