Really scared this time.

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and hope im doing this right.
I suppose im looking for someone who is/has been in a similar situation as Im feeling so alone going through this.
In early july I found a thickening in my left breast, its long rather than round, it dont move, it starts just above the areola and continues right down the side of my breast.
I was referred by my GP on friday as urgent. I have had 2 scares in the past, first time I was told it was a dilated duct, and second time was lumpy tissue.
However I feel more anxious this time because of several reasons really, the thickiening is long, the skin on the nipple does not look normal either, its like a layer of skin has come away and it looks red and soar(but dont feel sore), also my mum had breast cancer at 39 and subsequently died, also my great aunt in her forties. I am 34 now, I am a worryer, but Id rather worry than bury my head in the sand too. Does anyone have any idea what this long thickening could be, maybe its possible another ductal problem???
I would be very greatful for any replies, suggestions Im going out of my mind with worry. Thankyou

Hi bekky,
sorry you are having a bad time. No wonder you are anxious, I think anybody would be with what happened with your mum and aunt. I am 36 and was diagnosed in march. Firstly, well done for being do breast aware and also well done for getting the ball tolling and going to the doctors. You don’t know that it’s anything sinister yet and there are many other things that could be causing this, in fact your own history of two innocent proves this! And in the event that it is cancer , as my surgeon said to me it is eminently treatable and the treatments are doable. I hope you have somebody supporting you through this? The helpline ladies on this site are great and have helped me through tricky dark stages. Give them a ring maybe? My lump was a distinct lump do I can’t help eith the thickening symptoms. I hope you get your appt soon to stop you suffering in this way. Big cyber hugs to you. Vickie. Xxx

Hi Vickie,
thankyou so much for your prompt reply, so sorry to hear of your diagnoses, I can only imagine what it must be like for you. But your right about what u say, that its eminently treatable, because I know that treatment has come a long way since my mum had it.
I just find myself confused with my thoughts because, i keep telling myself I have an irrational fear of turning 39, because that was mums age, im not one to bury my head in the sand, and I know this could well turn out to be nothing, but being a realistic person, im also trying to prepare myself incase it isnt good news, so I just feel mixed up really. I suppose what will be will be, its the waiting, this has to be the hardest part??
I feel a bit better after having a little offload on here, I dont want to bother my friends too much, and i dont see them often anyway because caring for my gran takes up most of my time, and I have a 6yr & 12yr old to keep me occupied. I used to confide in a cousin if I had any worries, but she passed away last year, and also my husband is working away until wednesday, so I guess thats probably why I feel alone at the moment.
I will think about giving the helpline a ring perhaps. Heres me fretting over what might be, and theres you having to go through with breast cancer, apologies for offloading to you vickie and am very greatful for your reply, feeling a bit better already xxxx

Hi Bekky

Sorry you are in this situation but well done for being proactive and seeing the doc. I can’t help with the symptoms but totally agree with Vickie the help line here is great and it’s nice to speak to someone if you don’t have anyone else around at the moment. Not knowing is very hard and worrying, it’s difficult to not think about it but i hope everything turns out well for you. I lost my mum too to breast cancer and miss her very much. Good luck with everything and please let us know how you get on.

Lots oflove

Jaynexxxxx

Hi Jayne
Thankyou for your post, am so greatful. This is a brilliant forum, so glad that I found it. I will let you know how I get on.
It was just over 10 years ago I lost my mum, she was 39 with breast cancer but passed away at 41yrs. She was 16 when she had me, now im 34 and dont feel ready to get it yet (I dont suppose anybody feels ready), but at least my brother and I were adults, I just dont want to be in this situation with my 2 young girls, but as i said what will be will be wont it?
Its Ironic because its times like these we really want our mums jayne.
love to you too

bekky xxx

Bekky,

I too had strange thickening in my breast and first time I went to dr they said it was mastitis. 2 weeks later I went back and was referred although they were very sure it wasn’t cancer. Even the consultant said it was extremely unlikely given my age, 46, unfortunately it was bc and had spread but now both ops over, chemo and rads done and I am getting stronger.

Not sure this will help but the chances of it being cancer were slim even though mine turned out to be cancer.

My mum also had breast cancer but came through it although she now has dementia so unable to be able to turn to her for support.

The ladies on this site are fabulous and always have some good advice.

Take care

K x

Hi Bekky,
I’m 44, was diagnosed with BC last June had my op mid August, started chemo in September followed by rads in March 10.
I’m sorry to say that I also had a thickening of my breast, my Dr just dismissed me telling me he wasnt worried and to go back after my next menstrual cycle, 6 weeks later I went back and he still wanted to leave things as he wasn’t concerned. I dug my heels in until he agreed to refer me to the breast clinic; albeit as a non urgent case.
When i eventually went to the breast clinic the consultant also said he wasnt clinically concerned and that he believed it was a thickening of the breast tissue. He did a fine needle aspiration and it wasnt until the results came back as suspicious that they took me seriously. I was called in for a mammogram and US 2 wks later, they then told my while having the US that they were 99% sure I had BC.
I dont often write on here but felt I had to forewarn you that although it is highly unlikely to be anything sinister please follow your instinct, as no one now our bodies like we do. I was pretty sure I had BC from the start.
Big Hugs & good health to all.
Stella

Thankyou K and Stella for your posts.

Good on you stella for digging your heels in, it must have been frustrating for you. I too, was told to wait for my menstrual cycle to see if the thickening went away, but it has not. My GP also said he thinks its probably a ductal problem, but he has referred me as Urgent because of my family history. I am so glad he has because the first few weeks I wasnt too worried, but the last week im not sleeping and cant eat, and am pretty convinced its not going to be a simple ductal problem this time, really hope my appointment is soon. I think id rather know what im facing, than be worrying, I dont know if its so much im worrying now, but constantly thinking how I will deal with things if it is BC.
Sorry to waffle on and thankyou so much for sharing your experiences

bekky xx

Hi bekky,

While you are waiting for your appointment to the breast clinic I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications which you may find helpful regarding your referral to a clinic.

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59/

Hope this helps, take care.

Jo, Facilitator

Bekky,

It is the waiting that is the worse as even if you unfortunately have to join this elite, wonderful, strong bunch of women at least you will know what you are facing.

So hope it will just be a scare for you.

K x

Thankyou jo for the link, was very interesting!!

Yes K, this waiting is driving me mad, its hard trying to function I find, even normal daily activities like making tea for my gran and children has felt like a challenge, I just feel so very tired, I do have a cold so thats not helping, but I cant get these thoughts from my mind. Im trying not to be so moody, but its hard. Ive also just read a post on this site about a woman who lives in south wales (where I live), was referred as urgent, and was told the waiting time could take up to 6 weeks as the breast clinic is so busy. Im not sure what if theres anything I can do, but theres no way I can wait the way I am for another 6 weeks, and cant afford to go private either. Do you think I could ring the breast clinic and maybe they can give me a rough idea how long I can expect to wait??
I cant go on that long, im not eating or sleeping, trying to be normal looking after my girls and im also full time carer for my gran, everyone depends on me. Sorry for being so negative

bekky xx

Bekky,

ring and nag them as you need to see someone as soon as possible. I was lucky as only waited a couple of weeks but that was hard enough.

Life feels so hard at times but you will get through this whatever the outcome.

K x

Hi K
I took your advice,and rung the breast care clinic, and im happy to say I am booked in for a mammogram on monday afternoon, and a second appointment on tuesday morning(probably for the results I imagine??). I feel better today, to what I have recently, Probably because my husband will be home tonight after working away, will be so nice just to have a cwtch :slight_smile:
Am a little nervous of having a mammogram, not had 1 before, and could you tell me if a mammogram is accurate for a 34 year old, because I thought they were not until later like in my forties?? Perhaps im wrong. Sorry to nag again
thanks

bekky xx

Hi Bekky
Good on you for being persisitant, just remember its your life not their’s!!! Re the mammogram, it is generally better for older women as your breasts are more dense when you are younger, so less likely to pick up anything. May I suggest you call the BC clinic to double check that you are also booked in for a ultra sound scan, this is much more likely to detect anything untoward in someone your age.
I shall private message you with my tel no. an am more than happy to have a chat at anytime.
Please stop apologising as well, we’ve all been where you are now and there were lovely more knowledgeable ladies advising us & answering our questions. You’d undoubtedly do the same if you find yourself in our position. (hopefully that won’t be the case Bekky. Take good care and ask away all you like.
Keeping everything crossed for you.
Stella X

Hiya bekky
well done on sorting out hour appt. You should have a physical exam from a doctor, perhaps a mammogram but definitely an ultra sound at your age, I am 36 and I had all three but then biopsies as they were rightly suspicious of my evil little lump. Am not sure but I have a feeling you may just get an ultra sound as you are under 35. Young breast tissue can be too dense yo show problems up on mammograms. If ghet don’t mention ultrasound then it’s def a situation to be vocal and demanding as, yes it will show up probs if they exist more easily than the mammogram may, but also you will get no peace of mind from your appointment if you get good news but feel like they missed a test out. There’s s leaflet on here about the scans etc that helps, but I found the mammo wierd but not sore, the ultra sound doesn’t hurt and is the same as they use when you are pregnant . Even my biopsies didn’t hurt. It’s the scariness of the situation that can be hardest not the physical tests. Take someone with you. Xxx

Hi Stella & vickie
thankyou for your replies, your all such lovely people on here. And yes I certainly would try to help and support others if I do find myself going through what you are.
I think I will wait for my letter to come in the post, then ring about the Ultrasound. I had 2 scares several years ago, and both times an Ultrasound was used, no mammogram, so I think you are right vickie, I wont feel satisfied with just a mammogram. Ive convinced myself it is BC this time so I feel I really need convincing to believe its not, and I certainly dont want to be left wondering.
Vickie, did you have all those tests you mentioned all in the same day??
Stella thankyou so much for being so kind and sending me your number, and for just answering my questions, and your good wishes

bekky xx

Bekky,

have pm’d you.

K x

hi bekky

yes i got there at half eight, waited a bit, had exam and discussed my history with the surgeon, then a mammogram, then an ultrasound ( was always going to have both, they just happened to be that way round), then ultrasound lady wanted to do a fine needle biopsy as there was a suspicious area in a lump. Thats just a very thin needle, didnt really hurt. Then another meeting with surgeon who said to go home for a few hours whilst sample went to lab. Came back, had meeting with surgeon who said its cancer. Horrific night, back the next morning for a more detailed biopsy, a core needle one. I would have had that the day before if there had been time but it was mega busy. A week later those results came back and surgeon went through them with me.

Hopefully you will only get to the ultra sound stage as there will be nothing suspicious. At a risk of making the same mistake many people make of recounting everybody’s friends/relatives/next door neighbours aunty’s vets cousin stories, i will tell you about my friend. She is 31, found a lump this week, had just the ultra sound. Surgeon v happy that not suspicious. Her mums identical twin got bc AT 35 ( STILL ALIVE NOW), so thats the equivalent genetically as her own mum getting it. Her gran and auntie both had breast cancer early 40s. Gran died, but was many years ago. So she has family history and it was fine this week for her. Its not a sure thing that it is cancer for you. Be kinder to yourself, plus get some bachs rescue remedy, it really helped me.

Hi Vickie
thanks for your reply. My goodness I cant imagine what that day must have been like for you, so very awful. I think my mum tried to hide a lot of her fears from me when she was diagnosed, she would never let me go to her appointments with her think she was trying to protect me, maybe I would have known more about what to expect if she had.
Thanks for sharing the story about your friend, I know exaclty how she must have been feeling, so uplifting to hear of a good outcome, but I bet she was terrified at the time.
I am trying not to be negative but its very hard because I dont want a huge shock if it is BC, and since ive reached my thirties, I must admit I do have an irrational fear the closer I get to my mums age thats she was diagnosed,maybe thats why ive more scared this time?
Anyway, on a good note, me and hubby are taking our 2 girls to west midlands safari park today, im so looking forward to it, and not going to let the worry spoil our day as its not often we can go on trips like this.
Thanks again vickie for sharing your experience with me, I really appreciate that

bye for now

bekky xx

Hi again to all
Just thought id post and let you know that I have had my appointment through for the mammogram next monday, and a follow up appointment on tuesday 24th august and not Tuesday the 17th as Id originally thought, because thats what the secretary had told me on the phone. So Im a bit gutted about that, but on the other hand ive just read some posts where people are having a much longer wait than Im having too, so I should be thankful.
Feeling really down this evening, whenever I mention my worries to my husband he either dont look me in the eye, or tries to change the subject, I know he probably dont know what to do or say, but I need to talk about it, its in my mind 24/7. I really do think its not going to be good news this time, the thickening is easily felt and I consider it quite long, and my breast just dont feel right. Ive been feeling better in myself the last 2 days, but feeling really down again now. Ive not cried all throughout but feeling close to tears this evening, and im thinking even if i am 1 of the lucky ones, then how many more times am I gonna keep having theses scares, I just cant cope with the anxiety and worry, I wish I could fast forward to Tuesday 24th, Maybe im jumping the gun, but at least I wont have the “whats ifs” then, it will be 1 way or the other.
So sorry for complaining But I really need a good moan tonight
bekky xx