Reassurance after LD flap

Hello Ladies,

I had a mastectomy with immediate LD flap recon and implant and SNB 3 months ago. I just need some reassurance I suppose that what I am experiencing is “normal”.  My scars are healing really well, I feel fine, but I have some problems with fluid and swelling. I was told to expect things to settle down by 6 months but there seems to be little information on what actually to expect. I had a seroma in my back after my op which was drained twice and then settled down. However, the swelling in my breast has never gone away and I am sure it is another seroma. I had problems due to the swelling with some of the exercises despite being very diligent with them, raising my arm above my head and straightening my elbow were really difficult, if not impossible. I was referred to a physio a few weeks ago who gave me different exercises which worked, but since then the seroma in my back has started to fill up again, probably because things are moving around more. Also my arm is swollen. I have been assured since I only had 2 nodes removed that there is no reason for me to have lymphoedema, was told to massage my arm, continue with the exercises etc, etc , now my BCN has said it has gone on a bit too long and I now have an appt to see a lymph. nurse at the end of November.I am hoping that the reason my arm is swollen is because my armpit is and will eventually go down.

Has any one experienced anything like this and if so how long was it before everything settled down? I don’t know if I am being overly worried but I am getting a bit fed up,

Hi Helen,

so sorry you are having a rough time, and sorry too that no-one has yet replied to your post.

I had a mastectomy and immediate LD flap recon with axilary node clearance in Feb 2011.  I had a HUGE seroma on my back that was drained several times and then I had a steroid injection which magically fixed it :).  Since then it has been fine.

During the first few months I had bits of shooting pain, electric shocks and muscle twitches as the nerves untangled themselves from surgery but eventually they went away.  Even now I get some tightness in my scars on cold or damp days, have some residual numbness in the skin of my arm and sometimes it all aches a bit.

It is hard to say about lymphoedema - I developed mild lymphoedema this year, but it is easily controlled with a sleeve and gentle exercises.  I do recall having some arm swelling soon after surgery but it did go away again.

Sorry I can’t really help, but it sounds as if you are doing everything possible to help yourself.  I hope once it has settled down you are as happy with your recon as I am with mine, and that you stay well.

Hi RevCat, thanks for replying. I think I was at a very low point the other day, thinking I was going backwards rather than improving. A better day today, have been discharged by the physio because arm movement is back to normal so I am heading in the right direction again. I am actually very pleased with my recon, the side that isn’t swollen (luckily cleavage side) looks great and I saw it immediately after my op when it was the right size and it was amazing. Hopefully everything will settle down in a few weeks. Thanks again, Helen x