Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recall after 2nd Post Cancer Mammogram

24 REPLIES 24
ladybowler
Community Champion

Re: Recall after 2nd Post Cancer Mammogram

Bouskillg

Just seen your post, that is fab news and thank you so much for posting the outcome as it will help ladies who are perhaps experiencing the same issues.

Helena xxx

CrystalTips

Hi, that is absolutely great news I'm so pleased for you.

Here's hoping everyone is going to be all clear from here on out and we don't have any more scares.

Helen  🙂

Bouskillg

Hi ladies great news yesterday - all clear. Was just some water that isn't moving because they took a couple of lymph nodes last year. Phew can't tell you how relieved I was yesterday. My sister seems to be doing well after her op so all good this week, great news for us all. Xx
CrystalTips

Hi

Fingers crossed all will be good for you too, is your appointment on Monday?

It would be lovely if we all had good news and all the nerves and waiting were for nothing.

How's your sister getting on btw, is she starting to recover from her surgery?

H xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Helen

That is great news xxx

Patriciamay

HI CT

So very pleased to hear ok.  I absolutely agree with you.  There has to be a better way of calling us back.  It seems to me, because we are on annual survellience they are extra careful - which is right I know, but there iw a difference between being recalled "for dodgy image", and recalled for something suspiscious.

Its all so tricky but as I said so glads everything is okj.

Bouskillg

I am so pleased for you helen - i wish they would put more in the letters too. I am fairly convinced mine will be the same. I am just keeping myself Megga busy. I am sat waiting for hospital to call so I can pick up up my sister after her op. It's now 7:30 & they are saying she's still in theatre process. Not too long now I hope. Xx
CrystalTips

Hi, so everything went very well and it was all absolutely fine.

Apparently the breast tissue had folded during the first mammogram, so they brought me back for a clearer look.  After another scan and an ultrasound they confiirmed it was all ok. 

I'm beyond relieved as you can imagine - but can't help think if they'd told me I was being called back because of a blurry image I might not have been so stressed.

How are you holding up, are you managing to keep yourself distracted.?

I'm keeping everything crossed that it will be something similar for you when you get to your appointment.

H xx

Bouskillg

Hi helen hope everything went ok for you today. Hug from me x
CrystalTips

Sadly my cancer was triple negative, so even though it was asolutely tiny and wasn't in my lymph nodes I didn't have the options of tamoxifen.  The only preventative thing I could do is chemo.  To be honest, I coped with it better than I thought  I would. I'm still in not hurry to repeat the process.

I've decided to go and stay with my sister for a couple of nights, just for the distraction really, and it's been good so far.  The thought of Tuesday and what it will bring is never far from my mind though.  I've even gone so far as to work out when any biopsy results will be due and when I'd be likely to go into surgery, just in case it is something horrible again.

The answer can't come soon enough, that way at least I know what I'm dealing with.

I hope you're having a good weekend and are finding things to keep your mind of it.  I'm still keeping everything crossed that there will be good news at the end of it for both of us!  🙂

H xx

Bouskillg

Well I didn't get home from Kirklees until 6, long day and really tired but not complaining. Hope you're ok today.

Aw I'm sorry you had to go through chemo. Thankfully I only had op & rads mine was caught really early grade 1 stage 1, they took 2 lymph nodes & they were clear. I was given tamoxifen - I tried it for about 12 weeks but it really upset my tummy so I made decision to stop. It took months for my tummy to settle back down but now gp thinks I have a stomach ulcer so I do wonder if it was the tamoxifen. Its got to be all this blooming stress & waiting for results that's given me an ulcer.

I have newish mngr too, he has been great because his wife has been through bc. I like that he didn't immediately look sorry for me, just told me to stay positive and said if I needed anything just let him know. 

Im at an away day tomorrow in Manchester, got to say I'm not really looking forward to it, I will come away with another load of work. It's Friday though so that's nearly the first week wait over. Xxx

CrystalTips

I  was the same, my Mum, Granny and Aunt all had it but when I was tested it wasn't genetic. 

Will keep my fingers crossed for your sister too.  Sadly that's how mine started, they thought it was pre-cancerous but after the operation found 4mm of invasive cancer right in the middle , hence all the chemo I had to have.  I was told at the time it doesn't happen like that too often though, so hopefully she'll be fine.

I'm throwing myself into work as well.  I've never kept what was going on a secret from my colleages, so they know all about it, but I've just been assigned a new line manager and had my first meeting with him today, so had to tell him about all this.  He was absolutely fine about it all, but it's hardly the first impression I wanted to make!

Time to try and sleep I think.  Hope you have a good day tomorrow.  x

Bouskillg

Well that sounds positive news, let me know how it goes helen. My sister goes in for same op as me on 18th, they think they have caught hers pre-cancerous, but won't confirm for definite until after op. I was thinking it must be genetic but they say coincidence. Can't believe how many of us ladies are affected by bc. I am same just going to work my socks off - my boss will be pleased! I will sign in every night and say hello xxx

CrystalTips

Hi Gail,

So talk with the BCN was ok.  Apparently they've seen some changes on my left side, which is my good boob, not the one I had cancer in.  Anyway she said that they want to take a closer look but that it could be hormonal.  I know I'm perimenopausal because I had a blood test for another clinic about 4 weeks ago and they confirmed it, so I'm hoping that's it, although deep in the back of my mind I don't believe that of course!!

I've only got to wait until the 16th so I'm just going to try and keep myself as busy as possible between now and then and hope to exhaust myself so I'll be able to sleep.

Will be keeping everything crossed for all of us waiting for tests and results.

Helen xx

Bouskillg

Hi Patricia  that's great news . I hope we all get good news. My letter came out on 4th and I had mammo on 3rd, dont understand why they couldn't do paddle view while I was there - the clinic was really quiet, only one other lady there. Anyway looks like I will have to wait until 22nd for the test. I have worked from 7 to 5 today and haven't really thought about it until I logged onto forum.

crystal tips - what did your bcn say today ?

gail xxx

CrystalTips

I have to admit, even before the recall letter, I was finding the wait between the mamogram and the results almost unbearable - it would be good to find a better way to do it.  I just wish there was a blood test indicator like there is with prostate cancer (I know the City Hospital in Nottingham where I'm being treated are doing research in to this but it's a long way off).

At the very least, for those of us ladies who have already had cancer, it would be good to get a letter to give some indication of what they're looking at as opposed to just a standard letter that doesn't say anything.

Like you say we know too much and have all the trauma of what happened to us last time and all of that is feeding into the fear and anxiety.

I'll see what the BCN says tomorrow - it would be good to have some idea of what I'm facing.

Patriciamay

Hi Bouskilig

i went last Thursday and had the all clear.  Just normal changes.  Hope this is the same for you.

Bouskillg

It's the waiting that gets to you - I'm going to throw myself into work tomorrow to get my mind on something else. We have to keep smiling but it's a bit of a challenge today. Hope you get good news soon xxx

Patriciamay

I noticed somewhere there is s trial for some co-Horts of women to test the impact of reducing the annual screening to every other year.  Key objective to see if there is no negative impact, and reduce patient anxiety.  I think that in itself tells a story.  The problem is we know too much this time round, and the mind works in a way, “last time I was here.......”.

I think I definitely over amplified the issue,but who can blame us.  I am going to write to the unit as I couldn’t do this again,  there has to be a better way.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you both, please post back so we can share any learning. Xxx

CrystalTips

Hi, sorry you're in this position too - it's horrible isn't it.

I'm hoping my BCN can give me some details tomorrow to stop my panicking getting out of hand to be honest.  But I don't think anything is going to put my mind at rest until I know what I'm dealing with.

The whole thing just feels like a rollercoaster that you can never get off at the moment!!

Bouskillg

I have had recall after first mammo post op, its so scary. I got letter yesterday it was dated day after mammo so really quick but I have to wait two weeks for appointment on 22nd, I will be a wreck by the time I go. The letter says they want to do right side paddle view & ultrasound. I spoke to bc nurse who says it looks like a 6cm lesion /a line so it could be a crease when they were compressing & they want to check that area again, sounds ok news but I'm having trouble convincing myself that's possible. I have spent half an hour looking to see if I have creases, feel a bit silly and my husband is so upset, I know it's because he cares but it's not helping me at all! Gail x

CrystalTips

Hi thanks for replying, I'm really pleased that all was ok for you.  Hearing I'm not the only one this has happened to really helps, I live alone and it can feel quite isolating when you get things like this through the door  (my family is great and supportive, just not here all the time).

It's a great idea to call my BCN I'll try and get hold of her in the morning and see if she can tell me anything, .

It's well over a week since my mamogram and I'd kind of convinced myself that if there was anything then I'd have heard before now (when they first found my cancer I was recalled within 3 days of the mamogram). So opening the letter was a shock.

I'm trying to keep calm, but as you know it's not that easy. I think I'm going to be panicking now until I find out what I'm dealing with.

Helen

Patriciamay

Hi crystal tips 

i was in exactly the the same position as you last week.  Year 1 mammo fine.  Year 2 mammo got a re-call letter.  I managed to speak to a BCN and a radiographer prior to my appointment as I was not in a good way.  All hospitals are different so do bear that in mind.  I was told that there was a change to my other breast.  The BCN stated that if they thought it was a “red flag” they would have rang me to prepare me,  she also read out to me what the radiographer had assessed and why there was a need for a re-call.  It was explained to me there is a difference between “re-call” and an appointment for a second imaging.  I do get that subtle difference, but it’s not much assurance.

Have to say I found this time round more stressful, and didn’t deal with it well.  They do explain all the time that they are over cautious with us, but it is obviously a worry,  All was clear for me. “Normal glandular tissue”. I did get some assurance from the radiographer phone call who said they see this all the time.  I do t know if this helps.  But wishing you well. X

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Chrystal Tips,

Yes, there are others here who have been recalled after follow-up mammos & from what I've seen here, it usually isn't a recurrance, but tends to be scar tissue.

Hopefully all will be well.

ann x

CrystalTips

Recall after 2nd Post Cancer Mammogram

I was diagnosed with a really small (4mm) cancer in 2016 that was triple negative, the lymph nodes were checked and were all clear.  I had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

My first year post treatment mammogram came back clear, But a week and a half after my 2nd year mammogram and  I've just received the letter asking me to come back in.  I haven't been able to get hold of my BCN, but I'm feeling really down hearted that I went through all that treatment for nothing because in all likelihood it's back.

My family are telling me to keep positive, but it's so hard.  Has anyone else been called backed like this?