Recall to clinic - trying not to panic

I had my first mammogram the other week and got a phone call last week to say they wanted me back for further testing. I have next appointment this wednesday!  I am supposed to be going away on the 7th and am really trying not to panic - The thing that makes me feel worse is my son had leukaemia twice and we have been through the “dont panic” bit before only to find out that he did have something wrong (ALL). I can’t find any lumps but my boobs are a bit painful (possibly from me prodding them too much) and I am a bit worried that the skin under my breasts seems darker than the rest and I don’t remember it being like that before!! I am trying not to assume the worse or invent things that aren’t there - I do not seem to have any bumps or lumps but one boob is bigger than the other which doesnt help and again, I can’t decide if I am imagining things or not.  I am trying do normal things and keep busy but it is so difficult!! 

Hi Carolyn

Welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will find support, in addition please feel free to call our helpliners to share your concerns as they are on hand with practical and emotional,support for you

Lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hello Carolyn64,

I’m sorry you are having this worry at the moment. Quite a lot of women get the call back, usually it is because the mammogram is unclear and they want to get a clearer picture to rule out any problems. At times like this, we begin to imagine all kinds of lumps, bumps, pains etc which might have been there all the time but they’ve gone unnoticed as we haven’t had a reason to worry about them. However, if it does turn out that they find something, I don’t think you would need to call off your holiday on 7th. There is a lot of waiting around for test results when you are in your situation and that waiting can drive you mad. It would be nice if your holiday could take your mind off things for a while so you can come back refreshed to face whatever is waiting for you. As I said, it is probably nothing at all, just the docs being cautious, but I know you are going to feel anxious until Wednesday. Keeping my fingers crossed that they tell you there is nothing there.

Best wishes

poemsgalore xx

Hi Carolyn64.

it’s a hard time, worrying. I was called back after first mammogram.  No symptoms at all until the day I opened the letter.  Then phantom symptoms.  I had a 50% chance of guessing the right breast.

there were obout 12 of us at first appointment, I was told on the day but when I went back to follow up to get full results there were three of us from the week before.  So that means 75% were sent away with nothing wrong. Chances are you’ll be ok.

I  have been on the other side as well, my mother had leukaemia,  but in some ways this made it worse as my biggest fear  is how my problems will affect my loved ones more than for myself.  I didn’t even tell my dad as I was not going to give him the worry.

most people called back do not have cancer but we all seem to have very active imaginations and those weeks waiting are nothing short of torture.

Post on here to let off steam, and let us know how things go. We’ve all been there.  

take care

Keeks

Sorry to hear you needed to have the biopsy.

I hope you manage to have a great holiday . 

Take care

keeks

Hi I was called early as one of the younger ones Ive just turned 48, had a mamo. about two and half weeks ago now and have to go back next monday.  I cant stop worrying, I feel sick, my mum died of breast cancer nearly 6 years ago and I lost my best friend to it about 18 months ago, I am in the middle of doing a counselling course at college at the moment, and cant concentrate on my work at the moment