Recall

Hi,
This is my first post and would be grateful for any responses. I have just turned 53, I have had a couple of mammograms over the last four years, one was due to my family history (my sister had breast cancer and my other sister ovarian (she passed away). I recently had a mammogram and have just received a recall for next week, I feel sick in my stomach and am very scared, I have called the breast cancer nurse (whose contact number ws on the letter) and left details for call back. I am afraid to tell my family because I know that they will worry and propbably make me feel worse, does anyone have any advice, many thanks.

Hi Anj, i found myself in your position a week and a half ago. Im 45 and my sister is 47. My sister had breast cancer 7 yrs ago and has just found out that it has returned. Ive been having regular mammograms and was called back after the last one. I went back yesterday and had another mammogram and an ultrasound, and then a biopsy. Ive been told to expect the worst so now im really worried, if i hadnt been before. I suppose i had felt that it wouldnt happen to me, as apart from my sis there is no other person in my family that this has affected. Its all a little surreal. Ive waited nearly 2 weeks to go back so thought had it been ‘important’ id have been called back sooner, and now i have to wait till next wed to find out the result of the biopsy. Im sure there are many of us that have been in this situation but that doesnt make your own situation any less frightening. I wish i could give you a positive on this but you must have hope, i still have xx

Hi, i have just gone through exactly the same thing. I am 52 & i had my second Mammogram a couple of weeks ago & i received a letter for a recall. I was so scared like you , did’nt know what to expect. I went back yesterday & had another Mammogram & ultrasound. Thankfully everything was ok, they were just a bit concerned when they compared this one to my first Mammogram, things looked a little different so i think they were just double checking so please try not to worry too much (easier said than done i know) Good luck x

Routine screening
At my 1st mammogram i was recalled for more pics. My 2nd mammogram i was recalled and ultrasounded… my 3rd mammogram I had ultrasound and core biopsy and then WLE and just finished rads. You won’t know until your recall appt what you may be facing but you can see that twice i was recalled and everything was OK so a recall doesn’t always mean further diagnosis - although obviously this last time it did for me.
On the ‘telling people’ front - it’s hard to know what to do for the best. It’s probably the most worrying period for you - waiting around for results and further investigations yet to the onlooker - you just look the same and they can’t see inside your head at the chaos it’s caused you.
If you don’t tell them they may feel shut out and if you do they may worry - you just have to do what you feel is right for you. It may help to have just one person who can go with you to your appt but you may prefer to endure this bit alone and wait until you know more before you tell anyone.
Come back and let us know how you go on.
best wishes

Hi, the breast nurse called me late afternoon, I asked her did she know what was showing on the x-ray, she said there was a dense mass in one of my breast which was not on my previous mammograms, ahe said it may be a cyst and “they” were not overly worried but want to do further screening and maybe a biopsy, I am going on Tuesday so will update you, and thanks you so much for sharing your experiance with me, I know it is really tough as I went through it with both my sisters and it is so hard being strong for other people. So far my sister with the breast cancer is still clear, she opted for a mastectemy as she didn’t want to go through the initial chemo. Please let us know how you get on next weds, and as you said there is still hope, x x x x

Hi Ruthie, thankyou for sharing your experience with me,as Tamina said you must have hope and I am a great believer in that. I am so pleased that everything was okay with you, its so nice to know that when some women get recalled it turns out good, its just the worry beforehand, I will update next week, this is such a fantastic site for information.

Hi Toriaconey, it must have been terrifing being recalled so many times, thankyou for telling me what happenend. I have told my partner and he is coming with me on Tuesday, i’m not gonna tell my kids (30 & 32) as they will worry and be around me all the time and to be honest don’t really want to talk about it to them until I find out more on Tuesday, I think they will be a bit annoyed that i did not say anything but once I explain i’m sure they will understand, from experience with my sisters, they never said “what if” and were so positive that I am taking a leaf out of their book. Thanks again for your kind words x x x

Hi All,
Went today for my recall appointment, after waiting for over an hour I was called in, the doctor said that I had a lump and wanted to scan to see what type it was, he then said it is a cyst and no further treatment is needed, I just burst into tears, this was relief, as you all know the wait from the letter then the waiting room, then to be told its a cyst and they dont want to see me for three years was such a relief, I feel emotionally drained. I really appreciate the support which I have had from this site, and will be supporting it in the future. My prayers are with you all x x x

Hi All,
Went today for my recall appointment, after waiting for over an hour I was called in, the doctor said that I had a lump and wanted to scan to see what type it was, he then said it is a cyst and no further treatment is needed, I just burst into tears, this was relief, as you all know the wait from the letter then the waiting room, then to be told its a cyst and they dont want to see me for three years was such a relief, I feel emotionally drained. I really appreciate the support which I have had from this site, and will be supporting it in the future. My prayers are with you all x x x

Wonderful news, hurrah, all the best to you xx

Fingers and toes crossed for you tamina, bug hugs xx

Hi, well i get my results today. I am so worried, have not been able to eat or sleep for last few days. Im still in pain too from my biopsy, is that normal? Have not been able to wear a bra since they did it. I feel sick now, i just need to know. Im calling this afternoon as think they will have my result by then. Good news Anj, go and do something really nice for yourself now and relax. Im hoping i can do that too. x

Great news Anj. wooohooo. Tamina, thinking of you and, whatever your results show - there will be support here. I think it is normal to still have pain from biopsy as it’s quite a brutal thing happened if we think about it… metal pushed through us and bits snipped off. My bruises lasted ages and I was far more bruised than when I eventually had WLE.
Let us know Tamina.
x

Hi Tamina, yes,I did something nice,I booked a holiday,that made me feel good. Good luck for today,will be thinking of you,please let us know how you get on x x x

Thsnkyou so much Katytc x x x

Thanks Toriaconey, and thanks for you kind words, what does WLE mean? xx

Hi there, so my results are in, and it is cancer. Im pretty devastated to say the least. They werent going to tell me over the phone, had to insist. Havent got an app till 9th april tho to discuss my options, why do i have to wait so long? Feel numb. I go on holiday on 14th april, they have said to still go. How on earth do i enjoy it?

Hi Tamina,
I am so so sorry to hear your news, it is so bad that you have to wait until the 9th, do they not know what it is like for a woman in this situation. I feel numb for you, I remember when it happened to my sister, didn’t know what to say to each other, we just hugged and cried, she was so positive all the time, I expect that they are not going to start any treatment before the 14th and thats why they have said to go, I can’t say to you enjoy it because I know how I would feel, altho I would try, its not the same having this hanging over you. My heart goes out to you, and I will be here for support or chat anytime you need me, if you want my number I will message you, sometimes it is nice to speak to someone who is not family… lots of hugs and love being sent your way, please keep in touch. x x x x

Thank you all for the kind comments. Anj you go and enjoy your holiday, im gonna try my best to enjoy mine. Im going to egypt and i know they dont approve of topless bathing, but it may be my last chance to show off my pretty little boobs so im gonna do it lol. And now that thought has made me cry. Thanx for the support over the last few days tho guys. im going to do a bit of reasearch before i go to that app so im well armed and will know what the doc is talking about. Maybe it wont be so frightening, i dont know. My sister is a few weeks ahead of me with her treatment so we do have each other. xxx

Hi Tamina,
When I went for my appointment I had done a lot of research (knew a bit anyway), so when they were talking about my cyst being round on the scan, I knew then it would be good news, as no jaggered edges. I am so pleased for you that you have your sister for support for each other, is she too going on “ollibobs” with you. Good luck babe x x x x