Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent repeat scans

6 REPLIES 6
Butterfly318

Re: Recent repeat scans

Afternoon Pyari

Hope the Fec went OK on Tuesday and you are taking care of yourself just now.

I had my treatment the other way i.e. 3 fec followed by 3 taxol.  Both affected my taste buds (got mouth ulcers / inside nose had what i can only describe as cold sores)  caused a lot of joint / muscle pain and digestive system was affected.   Fec caused constipation  then Tax caused diarrhea but it was the Tax that seemed to cause the loss of sensation in hands and feet.  There are a couple of other threads one is 'Pain of Docetaxol' where side effects are being discussed.  Generally the Fec seems easier to tolerate but i wonder if it is a cumulative effect whichever drugs you are having it is the last few months where you need to make sure you rest and take care of yourself.

Side effects sheet from Taxol talks about Peripheral Neuropathy, my legs were really weak with a lot of joint pain and Physio gave me some basic exercises but in honesty in took a few months for the feeling to start returning.  It is almost twelve months since my last Tax (can't believe that....) You probably can't imagine feeling 'normal' at the moment but the side effects do wear of pretty quickly after your last lot...

Hope the rest of your treatment goes well and quickly..... Take Care   Gilly x

Pyari

Hi, my treatment pathway is going as originally planned. I will be seeing the consultant before my last chemo in Feb to discuss the date of surgery.It seems the days are dragging at the moment as I'm getting little impatient for the chemo to finish. How did the FEC affect you?, I've got poor sensitivity in my finger tips and the digestive system seems to more affected than with the Docatexal .

Butterfly318

Pyari

Hope the Chemo goes OK on Tuesday, will be thinking of you.  Only two more to go after that............

Take Care   Gilly x

Pyari

Thanks for your reply and I hope you have a healthy happy 2014.
I think it's probably my own fault as went to my appointment being very optimistic hoping the results show that my tumour had shrunk from the original 4cm. My daughter has been supported and reassures me that the news was good and it hasn't got worse. I checked myself and it does seem softer. My next Chemo is on Tuesday and the consultant is meeting with the oncologist to discuss the findings, and may do anther MRI scan as it will give a better picture of of any change.I think I'll be in better frame of mind once I know which direction my treatment is going.

Butterfly318

Afternoon Pyari.

You'll probably gets lots of replies / see other posts that say everybody is different and they are..... But i know that doesn't stop you worrying.  I too had Chemo before surgery 3 Fec first followed by 3 tax.  I asked before any Chemo how quickly would it shrink (i'm not very patient).  Onc told me he would expect it to soften / maybe change texture in first three months then start to shrink. Again how tumours respond depends very much on their size / grade / whether they are ER+  PR+  HER2+ etc......     After 3rd Fec i had ultrasound and mammogram and the surgeon seemed a little disappointed it hadn't shrunk more.  I found myself reassuring the surgeon this is what the onc expected......... However it was softer / my breast had visibly drooped (was lifted when i first found the lump) and it felt softer and slightly smaller when the surgeon manually checked it....

I too wondered if i would have to have more Chemo but the Onc reassured me the Chemo was 'a recommended package' in my case to shrink the tumour / mop up any escaped cells and protect against recurrence with Radiotherapy as a belt and braces approach just in case any cells had escaped into the immediate area.  It is a recommended package whichever way round you have the Chemo / surgery. Following surgery the Tumour was found to have shrunk from 6.5cm long to only 4cm long and much thinner (it was a linear shape originally).  I then had radiotherapy when scars had healed.

It sounds as if you already have your schedule planned with surgery next then Radiotherapy.  I hope the rest of your treatment goes to plan.  There are Monthly Chemo threads where the girls are having Chemo at the same time, which might be more reassuring for you.  It feels OK to me but I am exactly twelve months ahead of you in treatment.  I had my third Chemo on Boxing Day 2012 (repeat us and mamm early Jan 2013) and finished Chemo end Feb. 2013. 

I am sure that your BC nurses would be able to reassure you as they will know how your unit / consultants work because again they are all different and of course there are the helpliners here at BCC.

Take Care    Gilly x  

Lucy_BCC

Hi Pyari and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support you will find here, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support during the week 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call to tak through your queries and concerns. You may find some further support ideas from BCC helpful, such as our 'Live chat' and 'One to one support' and you can read about these and our other services here:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Pyari

Recent repeat scans

I've recently had repeat ultrasound scan and mammogram midway of treatment (3xDocetaxel)and will be staring FEC next week.The scan wasn't clear and the mammogram showed no change, however when the consultant examined me she reported there was definite difference and she couldn't feel the lymph nodes as much. At least it hasn't got worse and it's stable, but I'm still worried that after my 3xFEC and planned surgery I will have to have further chemo instead of the planned radiotherapy.
I know I should be positive as the consultant felt there was a change, however after my appt I have been feeling quite down.Has anyone been in similar situation?