Recently diagnosed after first mamagram

Hi

I went for my first mamagram on 2nd Sept 2013 at the age of 51. I thought no more of it until a letter arrived asking me to go back for follow up tests at hospital. I was beside myself so rang number and spoke to care nurse who informed me that something had been picked up that needed further investigations, she couldn’t tell me anymore.I only told my hubby just couldn’t bring myself to tell anyone else

Well I started to feel my left breast and couldn’t believe that I could now  feel a lump I kept asking myself why didn’t I feel this before as I do check myself not every month, but I had been on Holiday in August so putting suncream on why did I not feel it. .My sister died suddenly of a brain bleed this time last year and I have an 89 yr old mam who I just cannot tell as she has never got over my sister’s death.

Went for tests a  week later so then followed a week of absolute hell until I returned with my husband for resuilts.

I knew as soon as 2 doctors and nurse came into the room that it wasn’t good news and it wasn’t I had breast cancer and it was DCIS and was a small lump it felt massive to me.I really don’t know what was said after that it was all such a blur, only that I had a date for op and was going to have biopsy of lymph nodes under my arm done that day.We were told to come back in 5 days for pre assessment and resuilts of node biopsy.

Two days before I was due to go bck the nurse rang me to say that the resuilts were back of the node biopsy and they were benign which she said was good news.

Had my pre assessment and go bck Tues 15th Oct for Lumpectomy but this is where I am confused cos they say they are still going to take some nodes out and also  going to do a Sentinel  lymph node biopsy, they say this is precaution and when I go back in two weeks time they will have a better idea of treatment to go ahead with.

I told my 2 sons who are 21 and 16 yrs what was going to happen and I managed to keep it together didn’t want to get upset in front of them so they don’t worry. My husband is just amazing and so supportive and positive which is a great help but I am just so frightened of what is ahead I am never ill so why has this happened to me

Reading other womens messages has helped alot

Hi paula12

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things.
As well as the support you will receive here on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator