Recently diagnosed and mascectomy next week

Hi,
I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer which was a huge shock to the system at age 33. Consultant is saying it has been caught early, grade 1 and 1 cm. I am having a mascectomy next week as I am pregnant and can’t have a lumpectomy because I would have to have radiotherapy. I have been told that my lymph nodes show no sign on ultrasound but I am now getting aching and pain under my armpit, has anyone else had this? I am panicking it means something worse.

Hi kh you poor girl my heart goes out to you x will add you to friends and pm me if you want to talk xx

Hi KH81

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, it’s the right place for good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications I hope you find helpful.  Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need to talk to someone away from family and friends.  The team are here to support you through this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-during-pregnancy-bcc25

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/younger-women-breast-cancer-bcc66

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi KH81,

I am also 33 and got diagnosed with IDC grade 2 on Election Day a month ago. Initial biopsy has shown lymph nodes clear but have just had a lumpectomy and SNB last Friday. Been told by BC nurse my appointment to get the results and find out if they got clear margins and if those nodes are clear and next step is in 3 weeks time, the wait will kill me. I have been told its likely I will have chemo just because of my age as well as rads. After the first biopsies I felt loads of other aches and pains and thought I found more lumps, I think the stress of waiting causes half of it. I have two little girls aged 5 and 2 and they are the only reason I am just about coping at the moment with all of this. I am sorry to hear you are also going through this and especially during what should be such a special time I am here if you ever want to chat xx

Hi Briony,

Thanks so much for your reply I was beginning to think it was just me! I’m sorry to hear you are going through a similar thing at the same age also with such a young family. I agree the waiting makes your mind go in to overdrive, I am thinking all sorts and imagining aches and pains everywhere. Think I will be glad on Thursday when mascectomy is done but then like you say there are more results to wait for. I hope the lumpectomy was not too painful and you are recovering well. I had my 12 week scan yesterday and all is well with the baby which was great news but can’t seem to feel excited about that until I know any news after operation. Just have to keep telling myself that the consultant would not be so confident and positive about baby if there was more of a risk with me. X

Recently had a lumpectomy know waiting for mastectomy strange feelings under arm pits also ,will ask tomorrow as have appointment with plastics.

<li-spoiler> </li-spoiler>

I hope your operation all went well and you have a good recovery. It must have been difficult going for the first scan with all of this going on and I am glad everything is good with the baby. The consultants I have dealt with always seem to be very honest so its good they are very positive. The operation is the first step in being cancer free so I hope you are able to begin enjoying the pregnancy and don’t have too many horrid pregnancy related symptoms! I had terrible morning sickness with both of mine!
I managed to tear my stitches under my armpit overdoing it so have been back out of action for a few days whilst it reheals! Slowly getting back to normal though xx

Hi Briony, sorry to hear about your stitches sounds painful. My operation went well, I stayed in on Thursday night but then out on Friday. I don’t seem to be able to do much other than rest as I feel wiped out and very sore under my armpit. Avoiding all painkillers due to pregnancy. My husband is being great and my little boy is being very gentle with me but very confused about why he can only cuddle me on left hand side! I haven’t seen many people yet as it hurts to put a bra on and I feel like u look too strange and very lop sided without one on! As you say although there is a long wait til getting the results it’s a step closer to being free. I have my fingers crossed for your results, did you have some lymph nodes out? Please keep me posted on how you are getting on. X

Hi,
You sound much better with things now. I have follow up in 2 to 3 weeks they said but not had an appointment through yet, it always seems like you are waiting. I like you am hoping that I don’t need more surgery on lymph nodes as that is the painful part and most visible. I almost wish this nice weather had not come and that I could wrap up in lots of layers! I wish I had a smaller bra size as I am an E and so there is a massive difference!! Also mascectomy bras in a lot of places only go up to D. I have had some camisole tops delivered from a company called Nicola jane today and they seem to hide the problem well under a tshirt so atleast I will be able to go out! I have promised my little boy I will go with daddy to pick him up from nursery today so got to face people. I hope to have reconstruction eventually but will probably wait a while after baby is born and then discuss it. Your genetic appointment sounds interesting? I have not had anything offered to me as I have no family history of cancer at all which they were shocked about. Hope your appointment goes ok x

I can understand why you are feeling self concious then, I have the same issues with bras at the opposite end of the scale. They only do the post op support bras in an A cup upwards and actually had a melt down on the m&s lady when I went shopping for one! Glad you have found some tops to help and good luck with the nursery run. My mum and her mum both had BC but both at 52 so it’s odd I have got it now so that’s why I have been referred. I will let you know how it goes X

How did you get on with the nursery pick up and are you feeling any better? Genetics went on yesterday had blood test and they will call me next week to confirm if they are testing as on the border of qualifying. I hope you are ok x

Hi, glad ur genetic appointment went ok, don’t know about u but I’m a bit fed up of blood tests! I managed the nursery pick up and everyone was very kind and said I looked well which I’m sure I don’t!! Feeling much better though, feel like I have a bit more movement and less pain. Having my little boy at home the past couple of days has meant I have no time to sit around feeling sorry for myself. My appointment for results has come through for Friday which is earlier than they said an it’s a Friday afternoon when I got results last time so the worry wart in me is thinking, why is it earlier? Is Friday the bad news day? Mind is back in overdrive!! Atleast you said you were doing a degree to keep you busy, maybe I should do one! I have just resigned from work too so don’t even have that to think about! Atleast I guess after Friday I will know one way or the other. X

Hi, glad it went ok and I have found the kids stop me being able to mope too much also. I suppose you are also having to have loads of bloods because of pregnancy I remember that well and felt like a pin cushion at times! Did you resign before diagnosis? I have been doing my degree part time on top of working full time because I loathe my job and want to get out of it eventually - they will not consider me being part time at all unless I drop to a significantly less paid and responsible role - but that’s another story! I know what you mean about the appointment because I have had a 2 and a half week wait and its on a Thursday (like all my other apps) but it’s at 4.15 this time I keep thinking is that because there is nothing to worry about, they have got it and will just need rads or is it because they don’t want me crying in front of people waiting so they will deliver bad news later? Completely irrational I know and probably means nothing but your mind does run away with you! I will keep my fingers crossed for you Friday I hope it all goes ok and I’m glad you are feeling a little bit better x

I am in a similar position. Age 47, 1cm lump plus pre cancer cells. Mastectomy next week, no signs of lymph node involvement yet. Pains under my arms now and again. Dr said it’s all I’m the mind and it’s does go off if I can take my mind off it. So he may be right. Anxiety can cause all sorts of pains.

Hi San,
I definitely know the position you are in as that was me only 3 weeks ago. I thought that even though they were saying there was no lymph node involvement I had pain and it had definitely spread everywhere. The waiting for results was agonising but I am happy to say last Friday I got the all clear. It was a 1cm lump with no lymph node involvement and I don’t need any other treatment apart from Tamoxifen for 5 years. I really will keep everything crossed for you too. Having the mascectomy was not half as bad as I had imagined either. I was in hospital 24 hours and was a bit sore and stiff but 2 weeks on I can do the exercises, do everything like normal now. I was not allowed pain relief due to the baby and coped ok with this. Just exhausted for a few days after! Feel free to ask me any questions or to just chat if you need to. Keep me posted. X
And briony if you are still on I’m sorry I didn’t contact you sooner, I have been unable to get on the forum. I hope you got good results? Please let me know I have been thinking about you. X

Hi, sorry I haven’t been on for a while. Genetics testing is being done and will have results end of Aug time. Pathology report from lumpectomy and nodes showed nodes clear but that although they got the invasive cancer out I have abnormal cells so having to have a mastectomy in a few weeks. Still got to see the oncologist to discuss and decide on chemo or not. Feeling alright about it all at the moment. Glad you got good results and I hope your ok x

Hi, you sound so positive in your message must have been a difficult meeting when you found out. Having a mastectomy is tough at the time mentally more than physically I found but it does give you feeling of knowing that they got it all as there is nothing left. If you have any questions however daft they seem to you please ask as I wish I had someone with recent experience to ask them to! As you know by now my mind has a habit of over thinking things and a few days before mastectomy it was in overdrive thinking about what it would feel like, look like etc. You will be fine, it’s the waiting for it to happen which is the hard part. At least you know that they have checked your lymph nodes and great news they are clear. We had a celebration party today to thank everyone for support and help over past few months it was lovely so maybe plan something like this or a holiday?! Fingers crossed you won’t have to have chemo although like me you seem to just be taking everything they throw at you and keeping positive. I hope your family and your degree work are keeping you distracted x