Recently diagnosed, awaiting second round of surgery, feeling rushed.

This is our first post…I’m posting on behalf of my partner, 44, who was recently diagnosed with DCIS. The consultant initially recommended a MX as it was was high grade and over a large area (8.5cm), but we eventually opted for an excision, to conserve the breast, with a SNB.The SNB was clear, but the DCIS removed did not show clear margins and contained a small area of low grade cancer. So now we’re back where we started, with the consultant pushing us towards the MX, next Monday. We’re being told that the condition at this stage is not life-threatening, and that the MX is a preventative measure, but we feel that everything is being a little rushed - we haven’t had time to take it all in and we’re not sure that we have spoken to all the people we should have spoken to. For example, we’ve only ever spoken to the consultant and the BCN. Should we also be talking to to the oncologist and radiologist about the recommended treatment?

It would be really helpful and reassuring to hear from others who have been in a similar situation - who you spoke to, the treatment you had and how you got on.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks.

Hi Jay, noticed no one responded to your post in June. How are things now? Katy.

Hi Jay - i think its very easy to feel a bit steamrolled in these situations,remember you’re perfectly entitled to say"please slow things down a bit" or i’d like a second opinion. i was DX with DCIS a few days ago and before i left the consultation it had already been agreed it would be an MX for me, now personally i didn’t have an issue with how quick it was decided but there is no doubt that for others that would have been way to quick and i think sometimes its bit like a sausage machine  - bad metaphor i know. Stand your ground if you’ve still got doubts.

For me the reason for MX is that there were no clear margins, small breasts and pretty widespread and also crucially this is my second DX - i have already had an MX on my left side because of invasive cancer 3 and half yrs ago - my big worry now is will another invasive cancer be found after the op - finding it really hard to believe i’m here once again. Do let me know how you get on and what you decide. Good luck

lynvee.x 

Hi there

You don’t usually begin to have meetings with oncologist or radiologist until surgery has been completed, i.e. with clear margins, or an MX. Your partner will have a few weeks to recover from any surgery before meeting the oncologist. I had my surgery (also MX) on 12.12.2012 and met with the oncologist at the end of January. But I had to have chemo as I had ductal invasive grade 3 and affected nodes. Wishing you both well.

Poemsgalore xx