Recently diagnosed...not happy with NHS

Hi I am hoping someone can help…

Three weeks ago my mum was diagnosed with stage one invasive breast cancer.

At the time of being diagnosed she was told there is a chance the cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes and these will have to be removed and biopsied as a matter of urgency. Mum was also told she will have to have the tumour removed and have radio therapy five days a week, monday to friday for three weeks.

Mum has sever reflux and is due to have sugery for it in a couple of weeks however, the cancer professor at the time of diagnosis told mum that the cancer treatment takes priority over the reflux.

During this weeks appointment with the professor he told mum that they can’t do the two operations together and because the recovery time can vary between 3-6 months after the reflux operation they are going to halt the cancer operation, removal of lymph nodes and radio therapy until she has fully recovered from the reflux surgery and give her hormone therapy instead.

The surgery to remove the tumour and lymph nodes, we have been advised will take Approx. 1.5-2 hours as oppose to the reflux surgery which will take up to 8 hours so, I feel they are doing things back to front as the cancer surgery and treatment will have a much less recovery time and will allow mum to reover quicker for the reflux surgery.

At the time of being told this I asked the professor these questions:-

1. Has the cancer spread to the lymph nodes.

2. Will the hormone therapy shrink the cancer.

3. Will the hormone therapy prevent the cancer spreading to lymph nodes.

4. How will you know if the hormone therapy is effective.

5. What if it takes mum much longer than predicted to recover fully from the reflux surgery.

Sadly the professors answer to each of my question was “I do not know”

At the time mum went along with the professors decision to put the cancer treatment on hold and have the reflux surgery first however, we advised mum that this was not best for her and the cancer should without a doubt take priority. Mum agreed and rang the cancer nurse to tell her and all seemed ok and mum was told they will make arrangments for mum to have a dye inserted to pin point the exact location of the tumour and the fragments which are in the breast tissue and make arrangements alongside for surgery.

The following day the cancer nurse rang mum to say they would like to see her this coming Tuesday to discuss this with her and they still do not have a date and they want to discuss her reflux surgery with her.

We have a feeling that they still want to go ahead with the reflux and put the cancer surgery and treatment on hold.

Can they do this if mum has specifically said she wants surgery to remove the tumour and treament first?

Also what has changed (?) for three weeks ago mum was told the cancer takes priority and now thats not the case.

Mum is 68 by the way.

I am beside myself with worry and I am thinking about changing hospitals and getting a second opinion if the current professor doesnt respect my mums wishes.

Thanks for reading x

It sounds like things are very tricky for you. I think you are best ringing the helpline and talking this through with them. They will be better placed to advise you on whether you should do anything. Also - you are entitled to a second opinion if you think you need one. hoping you get some answers soon.

Hi flower-buds,
Tricky times for you and your Mum. Apart from the length of time fir surgery and recovery have you been given any indication as to why the reflux surgery has been deemed a higher priority ? The NHS gas tough targets to meet on cancer referal and treatment times, i cannot imagine that you would have been advised one over the other without a full comprehensive discussion and review of your mums medical needs and requirements being the utmost important consideration.
Ask for a second opinion, but be aware that this may reflect the first as ultimately the doctors and surgeons will be after the best outcome for your Mum.
Have you been to all appointments with her and requested the consultants hold a MDT meeting (multidisciplinary team) meeting to weigh up all the risks / benefits of the different options.
Stage one is very early, as am sure you have noticed there are many types of breast csncer, with different stages and grades. It is worth if you havent already looking at your mums precise diagnosis. I would recomnend this site or Macmillan for that info, it is presented in a clear concise manner
Good luck to you and your family
LL