cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnosed

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted

Re: Recently diagnosed

Hi Rosie. Hope you had a good Christmas, it’s hard to stay upbeat all the time, just knowing you can unload some emotions with people that understand makes a difference. Congratulations for getting through this especially hard on our own, just keep looking forward. Here’s to a happy 2018 x
Highlighted

I feel much the same. I was diagnosed in late July and have had two ops and rads so far. I am surrounded by wonderful friends (I live alone), but I am conscious that everyone has ‘stuff’ to deal with and I don’t want to overload people with my concerns. Have found this Christmas quite hard because the emotional and psychological impacts of my diagnosis are only just hitting me.

The people on this forum are a fantastic support though - I wouldn’t have got this far without them.

Hoping all my forum chums are having a good Christmas.

🎄🎄🎄

Highlighted

Hi Jill, it is very comforting to know there are others that understand what you are feeling, not wanting to overload friends at this time of year too, Christmas Day is always emotional, in our house hold, so another thing to think about gets a little overwhelming Thank you for listening 💜Hope you and your family are having a wonderful Christmas 💕x
Highlighted

Thank you Ann💜I’ve been busy as I can be after op on Friday- seems along time ago and it’s only 4 days, thank you for answering me. Christmas Day was ok my work mates had a collection and paid for us to go for dinner, so no washing up! Quiter today and a couple of glasses of wine so not too bad, still tearful, but I guess that is “normal “. Thank you for your kind words, you make me hopeful to hear other people have got through this crappy time. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas 💜x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jaxx, that time in between the op and results is very hard - so many uncertainties - I found it very hard to be " normal " I felt very tearful and scared .Hard for people who haven't been there to understand no matter how hard they try .Come talk to us here - the 2 weeks will soon pass and once you know what happens next you will feel a lot better .Jill.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jaxxi,
I too merrily went of for my routine mammo, forgot about it until getting the ‘recall’ when back from hols, then suddenly thrown into it all.
I think many of us have felt as you do, it is a shock & it’s just caught up with you, especially being this time of year.
I’m coming up for 2 years post diagnosis & just feel very glad I went for that mammo, as I nearly didn’t.
Have a lovely Xmas everyone🎄🥂
ann x
Highlighted

Woke up this morning, feeling really sad and emotional.  I have been reading the forum posts since being  diagnosed in November, Left Breast Carcinoma DCIS. Hod WLE and SNB on Friday 22nd Dec, back for treatment plan on 8th Jan, I feel suprisingly ok after the op, no pain, but from going from regular screening,to find myself from normal to this in a matter of weeks, is just mind numbing  I thought i was coping really well, too well in fact, and now I feel I have come down to earth with a bump.  I am 54, and have two teenage children and some great friends/collegues who have been amazinly supportive.  But I don't want to put on anyone, especially around Christmas, or make anyone worry, so trying to soilder on as normal, but is not easy. Reading the posts on here,  I am in awe of the amazing strength you ladies have, I feel a little guilty, as what you have been through, doesn't compare, it is an emotional roller coaster, and waiting is the worst, but just reading and knowing there are others that understand the emotional side and have been through this journey and are so positive, gives me hope. Thank you for your enspiring stories. Now for Christmas!

Highlighted

Hi Mai7 thank you. I've started making changes to my diet, more fruit & veg.doesn't help that I have a sweet tooth & hubby insists on buying me chocolate to make me feel better! I'm feeling stronger & much more positive each day xx
Highlighted

Hi Helena thank you. There is so much support and information on here. I would be lost without all of this xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Northerngal, welcome to our lovely forum but sorry you found yourself here. You will get lots of support here. During various treatments you can move to the treatment threads to network with others going through the same and share tips as well as moans and groans.  Im 48 and have 2 kids in University and was diagnosed in March with grade 2 locally advanced invasive ductal carcinoma IBC, 9/12 lymph nodes affected and 90mm of tumour activity! Try not to worry as your consultants will make the right decisions for your particular case and just be prepared for treatment plans to be adjusted along the way. I did 8 rounds of chemo, mastectomy and lymph clearance and will be starting radiotherapy next week. I'm ER/PR+ so I'm also on Tamoxifen.  It's been a long journey but I've still enjoyed life and maintained a good sense of humour throughout. Stay strong, allow yourself to have the odd meltdown but don't stay there too long.  Eat nice and healthy.  My attitude to food nowadays is: look after your body like you don't have anywhere else to live, because you don't!  Getting a BC diagnosis certainly alters your perspective in a good way and you will meet some lovely people on here who will agree.   Hugs and best wishes to you. Xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

NorthernGal

Hello and welcome to the forum where you will get loads of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here.

If you are having radiotherapy there is a thread on the going through treatment section for which there is  a new thread for each month.

Great that you are the other side of your op and doing well

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Hi I am new to forum. Diagnosed in Oct invasive ductual grade 2.I'm 52 and have a teenager.

My husband was with me for the diagnosis and is very supportive.  At first I was very emotional like my world fell apart. No family history. Macmillian nurses are brilliant and Consultant is a people's person. Explained everything to me.Plan in place and I opted for mastectomy due to size and area of lump and maybe reconstruct later on. Had mastectomy yesterday, day case. Not as bad as i thought and not much pain. Axilla was fine on ultrasound and awaiting results of lympth mode biopsy. Likely to have radiotherapy. I've had time to reflect and working up to surgery has kept me busy. I have my good days and realise its ok to feel like cxxp! Talking to friends who have gone through similar experience has kept me feeling positive as well as this website! There is a support group nearby which I will go to later on. I can relate to lots of the posts.  For now, I'm taking one day at a time and enjoying time off work. I still have a way to go but with all the support out there I'm feeling positive.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Edith, welcome to this very select club. You will get loads of advice and support here. As people have already said, it's natural to be worried, but I found the op very easy and straightforward. Much much less painful than I imagined. I had a lumpectomy with full LN excision and the drugs kept the pain extremely manageable . I had a drain in, and again, this was a nuisance rather than painful. The hospital staff were fab and couldn't have been more kind and caring,mas well as supportive. I'm sending hugs and hoping you're experience is as good as mine. X 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Edith,
It sounds like it’s been caught early as it’s small, so presumably you will have a Wide Local Excision/lumpectomy.
As ever the prospect is worse than the reality. I had the above op, it was done as day surgery, apart from some soreness & minor discomfort, treated with paracetamol, I was up & about as normal a couple of days later.
Do come back & ask anything you need to.
ann x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Welcome Edith ! Please ask about any worries you have ,are you having lumpectomy ? I was really surprised how quickly I recovered from the op and how straightforward it was .Jill.xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

edith

Hello and welcome to the forum where you will get loads of support.

It is quite normal to be scared of the op, especially if this is possibly your first op.  What is it about the op that you are scared about and I am sure we will be able to reassure you xxx

Highlighted

i have been told i have a cancer the size of a pea and is treatable and will have radiotherpy after but i know this is good new but i am very scared of the op
Highlighted

Sangeetha this is a scary time for you. Has your doctor given you a plan of treatment yet? I was told on here by some of the ladies that once I had a plan in place then it would get easier & they were right.
Highlighted

Yeah Ali ..it was FEC- T .
Highlighted

It is notpainful when you are having it Sangeetha although your arm moght ache! Are you having FEC?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sangeetha

If you click on the link below it will take you to the chemotherapy thread and put a new post on there I know that someone will be able to advise you as I have seen several ladies talking about cold cap.  Put your title as Cold Cap Advise xx

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/bd-p/4435

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Thankq lady bowler...need help about knowing cold cap as I am gonna have chemo on Tuesday .need help to know about cooling cap is the cap very cold will the head ache?? and about chemo ..does it hurts ..pls tell me ..so that I can be prepared.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sangeetha

You will get there with the wonderful breast team that you have, your lovely family, and your virtual family on here. Just always remember we are here whenever you need us, the ladies will direct you to the right thread to go on as your treatment progresses, it is a very scary time but you will get through it my dear.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Thankq Ali ..how r u ? Iam from India .I never told anything to my mom she is 53 I advised her to have check up too ..as u are correct drs told me take some tablets for 10 yrs ..I was scared of chemo will it be painful ?? .thankq peggy.thankq optimissy,thankq lady bowler .
Highlighted

I have sent you a message Sangeetha x
Highlighted

I was really worried and scared y to get BC in this early age (35)can't able to Luk at my kids😱.
Tuesday I gonna have neo adjuvant chemotherapy followed by breast conservation and radiotherapy.(donno what was all this terms) in West Middlesex hospital .nurse zeng there to help me ..at least I am happy that I can share and can confident from the lady's with same diagnosis .as I was new I donno where and whom to share 😔
Highlighted

Hi Sangeetha. I am glad you have come to the forum gor support as that is exactly what you will find here.

I am 50 years old and also have 3 children. The hardest part of this was telling them and telling the rest of my family about my diagnosis. I like to look after them and hated seeing them all upset and worried about me!

I had almost the same diagnosis as you in August. Grade 2, ER + and Her2+. After my diagnosis i then had to have an ultrasound to check lymph nodes - they looked clear, a ct scan and a bone scan. They all came back clear.

I am having neo-adjuvant treatment (before surgery). 7 lots of chemotherapy with Herceptin and Permuzetab - which are the targetted therapies for Her2+. When my treatment is finished i will have a masectomy (radiotherapy is not an option as i have had it before) and will then have tablets for 5 years.

I have had 4 chemo so far and have 3 to go. Its a bit tough but it is doable. Normal life goes on with a few adjustments!

Once you get your treatment plan you will know what you are facing and you can plan around it. You will feel more in control.

Where are your family? Will they be able to support you?

It is so upsetting when life is going along nicely then all of a sudden we are stopped in our tracks but you can do this! You will have the best treatment available.

Stay strong lovely and keep coming here for support xxc
Highlighted

Thankq soo much ...for all ur replies.it may be the hard time let me see how things going to happen 😨.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Dear Sangeetha,

I am very glad you have found this wonderful community even though it's not the ideal situation having to be here. You have joined a very good community of people who will welcome and advise you through this difficult time. It must be very hard to be in a new location away from your family and having to face this new challenge. It is a frightening time when you are first diagnosed but it does get easier when you know how your treatment will progress. The truth is that breast cancer treatment these days is very advanced and the long-term outcome for amost everyone is very positive. Do not feel that you are being a burden to your family. I am sure they will be wonderful support for you while you go through treatment. Believe me, at the start you might think you will not get through this but believe me you will. 

Sending you much support and hope you will stay here to let us know how you get on.

Ruth xx

Highlighted

Welcome Sangeetha to a place where you will get lots of advice and support. But it is very hard that you are away from your family and friends at this time and that your move is so recent - i imagine that makes you feel more vulnerable at the moment.

My cancer was invasive ductal too, and oestrogen positive. I had lumpectomy just before Christmas last year, radiotherapy in January/February and now am on a hormone tablet for 5 years. I'm fitter than i was before diagnosis due to some lifestyle changes that I made. 

When you get your treatment plan you will feel more in control and will be less scared - fear of the unknown is worse than knowing what to expect, but you'll soon be an expert on your own diagnosis . You will see from posts on here that although a diagnosis of cancer is always going to be a shock, it is very treatable and there is very much "life after breast cancer". Take it a day at a time. xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Sangeetha

I am afraid I can not help you with that as mine was different, I am sure there will be other ladies on here who have the same diagnosis as you on here and they will be able to help you understand your diagnosis.  Treatment for bc is extremely good and I you will hae a treatment plan specifically for you.

Just to let you know I was diagnosed last September, had my op last October and I finished radiotherapy in January this year, I am back to doing what I did before my diagnosis, which was a complete shock to me as I did not find a lump, something I could not have imagined would be the case when I was first diagnosed

xxxx

Highlighted

Thankq for Ur reply lady bowler..😘😨
Highlighted

Thankq u soooooooo much .. leaving my parents and friends just moved here .I never expected this and not even told them about my diagnosis and don't want to make my loving ones heart attack 😨😨 thinking I am happy here .
Highlighted

Invasive ductal carcinoma grade2 ER7/8, PR7/8,HER2 3+
This was my report ..scared and scared of everything ..😨😨
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sangeetha

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum where you will get lots of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here.

This is the worst time having just been diagnosed, I am assuming that you are waiting for your treatment plan but honestly as the ladies on here will tell you, once you have your treatment plan in place it does get easier because you know what is going to happen and when.

Come on here whenever you need to and there will always be someone who will be able to help and support.

xx

Highlighted

Recently diagnosed

Hi ..iam Sangeetha .. diagnosed before 2 weeks 😱😨 ..happily moved here to London before 3 mnths with loving husband and 2 kids . 35 yrs old with smiling face I never thought about cancer just went to gp..all of a sudden life turns totally upside down ..sitting alone eyes starts to rain ..totally confused ..all the scans done 😰😰😰 dono wat to do 😰😰just shared