cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnosed

11 REPLIES 11
Jennifed

Re: Recently diagnosed

Dear Kiki2 thanks for the supportive words of wisdom and advice. I have not yet got my head around all the terminology but I expect that will come soon enough. "Masectomy" sounds pretty drastic to me at this stage but then the thought of a nice new pair of "angelina's" isn't that bad! I'm just in a state of shock but it's good to know that there are people out there who can share the pain with me. X
Jennifed

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and encouraging words. I'm already feeling better just knowing that I'm not the only one with these thoughts and fears. I am so glad that you have recovered and feel so positive about life after BC. And thanks for the hug!
Kiki2

Hi Jennifed, it is a terrible shock, I too was diagnosed from a routine mammogram and went for results of biopsy, quite expecting all clear, only to be told I had DCIS. I had no lumps that could be felt or detected either. However, That was in Dec/Jan, I had mastectomy in Feb with removal of sentinel node (which was clear)and reconstruction and am now almost fully recovered, back at work and just on tamoxifen. My daughter really struggled with my diagnosis too, she went to the doctor and was given a low dose of beta blockers to help her through, and she's fine now. If your diagnosis is DCIS you may still be able to go on your holiday before surgery? They said to me that there is less urgency with operating on DCIS because it is unknown when it will become invasive. I think you will find that as they start to plan your treatment you will begin to cope with it better, but it certainly isn't easy! This forum is very good though because you can find someone with the same diagnosis/ problems as you. Good luck with your treatment. Xx
DizzyDee
Community Champion

Hi Jennifed,
What you are going through now is the worst bit. I had to take 2 weeks off work when first dx. My whole world collapsed and i just went into shock, fear and severe anxiety. Saw my GP who prescribed Citlorpram, that really helped take the edge off things. Had my surgery March and now rads and tamoxifen. When u first get dx you think thats it my life is over. But its not as you will see from the forum. I was given the all clear last Friday. There is life after BC and you will develop a sense of inner calm and confidence that noone will be able to affect after this. We're all in this together to support each other. Sending you a big hug xxxx
Jennifed

Hallo Ladies, I was diagnosed yesterday and I am at work trying to behave as though everything is normal but it isn't, is it?  Two weeks ago I attended a routine mammogram.   Everything was fine, no lumps or bumps and I was  looking forward to going on holiday in June to see my brother in the States. Then "WHAM!" out of the blue:  "we've found something" followed a week later by "you have breast cancer".  

I just can't stop the morbid thoughts whizzing around my head like a swarm of buzzing insects.  I want to cry but I'm in work and I can't.  The youngest of my two grown up daughters is terribly distressed, my poor, wonderful husband is doing his best but when he sat next to me yesterday to speak with the consultant, it was the third time he had done that with a close relative within 9 years - he looks terrible today.

I know it's early days and that hopefully, this crippling saddness at the sudden change in our lives will ease, but I feel wretched. I feel weak.  How has this happened?   I'm not angry but inside my head I am crying, "why, why, why?".  Any words of wisdom for this miserable cancer novice?  How do I stop feeling sorry for myself, get up off the floor and just move forward?

shayle

Hi Janet,
I've just been diagnosed with tubular BC and I will see my doctor tomorrow. I have lots of questions. sher
DizzyDee
Community Champion

Good luck with your surgery rainy3210. Just about to start rads and going through treatment. Agree that it does get better after surgery as your on the road to recovery then. Hope all goes well for you tomorrrow xxx
rainy3210

Thanks ladies. Had a fab night out last night with friends & as expected tears all around (even those who are strong as nails) & yes still none from mine tho! Lol.
Kiki2: after a chat with the BCN I decided to wait til after the treatments to finish then consider reconstruction. I am a slow healer too. Good luck to you all & thanks for your support xx
Kiki2

Hi, I think everyone reacts differently to the diagnosis. I felt quite surprised that I didn't cry for ages, but then something daft triggered it and I did have a good cry. I think most of us though get through it by just getting on with it ! It feels a bit surreal and you just plough on through the various stages of treatment, when you've recovered from your surgery it begins to sink in a bit more and you have more time to stop and think! Good luck with your operation, are you having reconstruction?
Janet1954

Your in the right place to express your fears and concerns...the ladies on this forum are either recently diagnosed/going through treatment, so we are all in the same horrible boat...hang in there xxx
Jo_BCC

Hi Rainy3210

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications which I hope you find helpful.  Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need someone to talk to, in confidence, away from family and friends.  0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc1...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

rainy3210

Recently diagnosed

I've just been diagnosed with BC in March (found a lump in Jan but been putting off the GPs until then). Had a CT Scan & biopsied 1 x then they've found another one in same Breast after an MRI & I've got my masectomy on Thursday 21st May. I'm married with 3 children, eldest is 15, 12 & youngest is 10.
I've only cried once when I got my MRI results via phone to BCN @work & that's it. Is it 'normal' to feel nothing? I'm more concerned about others around me than myself & the way I see it, it's gone past the 'shocked' phase. I know everyone is different but all I want is just to get on with it now. R x