cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnosed

Re: Recently diagnosed

hi Judi
have a great lunch!!!!
I've managed an entire morning and night without painkillers - I was doing the stretches yesterday and had a weird popping noise in my left armpit - totally pain free but heard it! Since then my left side has felt SOOO much better and the Seroma lump I had around my armpit subsided noticeably and is much softer. I figure this was my lymph system sorting stuff - all a bit yeuuch but well done my body!
beryl - you should be proud of that lovely new boob - nudist camp holiday?
best wishes all
sarah

Hi ladies feel a bit more human today pains in joints have subsided a bit taken painkillers going out for lunch with mum and im going to put my wig on i know ive still got a head of hair at moment but i thought i would get used to it plus im being lazy dont have to wash my own!!!!! hope all my lovely friends are ok love judi xxxx

Hope ur ok. Keep me posted, great to get so many replies, everyone on here is so positive. Xxx

Sorry Jackie just read your post ref ages if your children 😊...nice to be getting hugs though,teens are funny sometimes Aernt they bless them!My daughter was devastated when I told her,but she's dealing with it now thank goodness and back to her lazy self lol!X

Welcome Jackie😊X
You'll get great help and advice on here,we are all here to support you where we can.Im 46 have a 14 year old daughter,how old are your children ?I have grade 3 Ductal,but have had single Masectomy due to start Chemo Thursday.Its all so much to take in isn't it?I find I write a lot of things down,it's helps.
Good luck for Tuesday...hugs X Rachel

Hi Sandie, you sound like you've done really well. My kids are great, we told them as soon as we found out. They are 8, 17 and 18 so I have two different age groups to deal with . The bots are older and they are quiet although I've had a few hugs which is very rare!!! My daughter is more concerned with her 9th birthday which is on Sunday! Really hard to say sorry but no party as I don't know what's happening re hospital apps etc. will let you know how I go on. Keep in touch. P.S how do I pm you?!!! Jackie x

deja vu post here I'm afraid

I have just returned from he hospital and had wounds checked, cleaned and dressed - consultant peered at it and said Ouch! (isn't it amazing how you get use to non-intimate men peering at your boobs) any way it seems I am having an allergic reaction to micropore, 

New gauze dressing is held on me by the bra, and should be better in a few days - boiled water on gauze only to clean it, then put fresh gauze on.

micropore is used to reduce scaring so I guess................... Mind you once this is over won't be flashing at any other non-intimate men anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beryl x

Thanks, Jo

To avoid posting the same updates multiple times, I'm going to stick with this thread, unless I want to comment specifically on an issue raised.

Otherwise I'd flood the board with repetitive posts and drive folks crazy with boredom and deja vu!

Regards

Rose

Hi Rosemary

To find out where you've been posting if you click on your name above your photo this brings you to your profile, you should be able to see there where you have posted.  I've just had a quick look and see thaty ou've posted in Hormone therapy - coping with fear, radiotherapy, diagnosed with bc

Hope that helps a little.

Kind regards,

Jo, Moderator

Hi!

I'm confused about which threads I've posted in, so thought I'd pop by this one.

So... had 2nd op to (hopefully) clear margins last Monday and got my appointment letter for results today.

It's for the 24th February! Why, why, why are my waits so long? It's ridiculous. All over the country results are coming through in 2 weeks or less. So annoyed. Anyone else out there got 4 week waits every time or is it just Hull?

I'm reluctant to complain because I don't want to aggravate anyone, but when I get invited to give feedback, this is a subject which will most definitely be raised.

Hope everyone's ok today?

Love, Rose xxx

Have a weeping wound or 2 yesterday and today - not pleasant. Phoned GP for appointment at 8 this morning , then phoned BCN who said come into the hospital and see the consultant. So am off there this afternoon and cancelled GP appintment, OH pointed out that it means I still won't have sorted out my cough!!! but I don't care!!

Beryl x

Hi jackie,  feeling for you, its totally surreal,  sometimes I think the calm is simply because of that.  Actually,  it all follows a logical sequence,  the waiting for results really messes with your mojo.

Mastectomy was remarkably pain less,  think I was so happy to wake up I was just buzzed on that.your arm is the worst and i slept lots.   The portacath op sucked,  maybe I was expecting to feel like the first one. Reckon I've had a less painful shoulder after a good boot off a grumpy clydesdale.  Settled fast though. Felt like someone shot me ( I guess..)

Emotional tornado really you never know when it will hit. sometimes it takes a bit to wrestle it back in the box too. Hugs, tough with kids watching your reactions.no where to hide.

Had oncologist meeting today, slated for it after the AC  & paclitaxel,  so probably august, they do it while you're on herceptin,  cos apparently thats so targeted you dont have many side effects. 

Im just going with their suggestions really. 

How are your children?  Are you waiting for the plan to tell them? Mine have been fantastic,  but a bit shakey after being farmed out most of last week and this week not looking much better.  We have great neighbours so thats a little easier. 

I hope your bone scan goes well, mine is wednesday,  we'll compare experiences, I nearly dozed off during the mugs.  😉

Everything about this  is wierd, I think all the reactions are totally normal. 

Xxxmuvh love. Pm if you want

Xx

Sandie

Hi Sandie, my story is very similar to yours, I'm 45 with 3 kids. Diagnosed with Grade 2 invasive ductal on 26th Jan. Having bone scan on Tuesday cos of back/chest pain then results Thursday when hopefully I'll know what's happening next. Been told I will need mastectomy and radiotherapy and possibly chemo. Wierd how my emotions are so up and down and sometimes feel I'm talking about someone else. How did your op go? Hugs Jackie xx

Hey judi,  bet if mike tyson did this he'd be a bit weepy too.

Be kind to yourself,  I reckon this is mike tyson,  the new york marathon,  mount everest and the niagra falls in a barrel ....all in one helpful course of treatment. ( Not to mention shark wrestling,  snake wrangling and being shot. )

Fear factor has nothing on this.

Much love , xxxxx Sandie

Thanks Sharon x x x

Hi Cheryl

My haematoma were from biopsies before surgery and were quite deep as my cancer was far back near my chest wall, so there was no weeping or leakage but they did make my boob ache and, like you, I think that caused more discomfort than the surgery I've had since then.  I asked whether I needed them drained and the doctors said that it was safe to leave them as eventually the body just reabsorbs them.  I suspect they were removed during the actual surgery and that is one of the reasons why they took more tissue than they had planned.

Sorry I can't be much help with this one, but I do think you should go back to your doctors about it if it is still causing you pain.  I wonder if it is like seroma where they keep filling up again and have to be drained regularly?

Take care of yourself

xx

Sharon

Sharon any tips on haemotomas, mine seems to have good down weeping a bit but my boob feels worse than after surgery? Am trying not to move much to stop it weeping and am worried the scar is weakened and an alien is about to burst out but I am less mobile now than 4 weeks ago after the op. Probably being a woss but I am not known for taking to my bed x x x

Awwww Judi,sorry your feeling rubbish 😕...I agree with Sharon...there would be a major pity party in my house!X
I think I've heard about sucking icecubes or ice pops too?May try that,don't like the sound of the metallic taste.
Take care lovely,big hugs Rachel Xx

Hi Lillegzmum...welcome X
just like Sharon and Sandie says,this site is wonderful and such a help and support😊.Im sorry your having a tough time,it feels worse at first because your still getting to grips with it all,but once you have it explained to you and have a treatment plan,things will become clearer .i had a grade 3 lump also and chose the Masectomy/chemo route...it's really been a lot better than I thought...not saying it isn't easy,but you get well looked after and all questions answered.do you have good support at home?Take care,we are all here for you XRachel

Hi Judi, that sounds pretty awful so I'm not surprised you're feeling so low. I'd be having a major pity-party by now.

I'd heard about the metallic taste thing, is it something to do with the chemo affecting the lining of the mouth and tongue?  I think I read on one of the chemo boards that sucking ice-cubes helps as it restricts the blood vessels in that area so the chemo in those vessels has less effect but I might be getting that totally wrong (I've only read a little bit of the chemo boards).

Hope this is the worst of it for you and it all gets better from here on in.

xx

Sharon

Hi Lillegzmum,

Sorry you've had to join our rotten 'club' but the members are wonderful and we'll all do our best to help you.

During my various tests throughout December they found several lumps, in fact they even found another one on the morning of my surgery, but only one of them turned out to be cancerous, the others were a harmless cyst, 2 fibroadenoma and what seems to be several haematoma caused by the various biopsies.  So, don't panic as it might turn out to be benign and even if it is another spot of cancer, that doesn't mean that it can't be treated.

I'm about a month ahead of you on the journey and still have days where it all feels terrifying, and on those days I scoot on to this forum sharpish as there is always someone who is able to sooth and reassure me. Hope we'll be able to do the same for you too.

xx

Sharon

Hi Ladies day four after chemo i honestly and truly feel ive done 10 rounds with mike tyson my joints are killing me and my mouth has a metallic taste ugh hope tomorrow brings slightly more energy i feel so sad today i have just had a weepy moment pull yourself together Judi xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi lillegzmum and welcome to the BCC forums
In addition to the help and support here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to the BCC 'Just diagnosed' area of the site where you will find information and further support ideas including our 'Live chat' and 'Someone like me' service to help you through this difficult time, I hope you find this helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi lillegzmum,

I'm sorry i have no idea whats common,  none of it feels common when you first get diagnosed. 

I do know ive read other stories with more than one lump. Xxx I had a single mastectomy in december,  its not as bad as you think.  This is a very frightening,  overwhelming time, once they finish their tests and give you a plan it does get oddly easier. 

So much love, there is a facebook page for younger women with breast cancer in the uk, its supposed ytobe very helpful too... sharing really works.  Im 45 with kids and mine was a grade 3 lump.  The information on this site and also the macmillan site is excellent.  Google is less helpful.  Xx

We're all here for you,  we lean on each other.  

I hope one of the other ladies has more helpful info too.

Xxx

Hugs

Sandie

I was dignoised on Tuesday 27th jan on Friday 30th jan was informed a second lump has been found and I have to have more tests on second lump I'm very worried as the lumps are at opposite sides of my breast. The lump that had biopsy is grade 3. I have informed nurse I'm at point for asking for masctomy I'm only 35 and so scared now is this common???

Hey Dennymac...I'm wondering that too?I have my pre-chemo appointment Tuesday,so I'll probably ask then.X

I'm due my first session of chemo (taxotere) on Tuesday, had my appointment with the doc on Friday and they didn't mention steroids.... I think I better call them on Monday morning and make sure I don't need them!

Lol...I had better save my cleaning and do it all after the steroids then!!😄X
I'm a little nervous,but be glad to get it going...will be having 6 sessions,3 weekly and poss radiotherapy but they aren't sure yet.
Think I'll get some champagne chilling too😘...take care love Rach xxx

Hi Rachel they prescribed steroids day before day chemo and day after i was buzzing cleaning the house top to bottom how funny is that unheard of!!!!!!!! hope you are feeling ok nxt week will be soon here i feel better now mine has started 1 down 3 to go for me then radio then done long way but champagne in fridge ready !! xxxxxxxxx

Hey Judi😊
Have plenty of rest,you need it X
I start mine next Thursday,do you have steroids first?X

Oh dear not sure which side effect this is from but my poor hubby cant do anything right today i think he is going to go out for the day oops have finished steroids for this session maybe that,dont feel too bad today achy limbs slight back ache probably nxt few days come crashing down Love to you all Judi xxxxxxx

Sounds like the perfect way to spend the day Judi, hope the wishywashy feeling passes quickly

xx

Sharon

Hi judi😊...sorry you was feeling a bit yuk this morning,a DVD and feet up sounds perfect medicine X hugs Rachel
Hope your pre op assessment goes okay Eileen...I had a lot of sitting around for mine,so take something to eat/drink and read😊X

Hi Judi. Stay in and spoil yourself - no need to move. I am off for my pre-op assessments today. No doubt lots of hanging about. But at least I feel I'm getting on with it now. You enjoy your lazy day. Love Eileen

Hi ladies slept ok felt a bit wishy washy this morn slighty nauseous but perked up a bit now having a lazy day feel like i should be doing something but its cold out there so woodburner on feet up dvd bye for now all my lovely friends Judi xxxxxxxxxxxx

O judi,  first penguin off the ice berg. Much love Gorgeous!  

Ask if you can get a portacath,  no more vein mining.  Hideous hideous hideous!  Gentle hugs. 

Xxx

Wish I could pop round and put the kettle on for you.

Xx

Sandie

Hi Judi, glad to hear it went OK although the cold cap sounds a bit grim and I'm with you on the horrors of cannula (still feel faint every time someone approaches me with a sharp instrument!) ! At least you're on the way to getting it over with now

xx

Sharon

I hope you continue to be fine. Never been sure about 'cold cap'

pleasd you have survived. 

Bring on the finish

Beryl x

Hi ladies got back about 4.30 after my first session feel tired but no adverse reaction while i was there had a problem getting cannula into hand 4th attempt ugh felt sick im still on a high due to steroids tried cold cap wanted to rip it off after 10 mins i was frozen but percieved and it was ok had to give it a whirl three weeks off now until next cycle Love Judi xxxxxxx

Fell asleep

OH woke me up at 4 - too late to talk to doctor, all appointments gone- phone tomorrow. Was still sleepy so just said Ok (doh to me)

When I'd woken properly felt like saying you try having a breast amupteted and see what your pain threshold is like - but as of course you all know I can get them over the counter in small amounts!! and I can't b fished to argue.

Tomorrow is another day and I have enough to last me till Sunday

Can't get to my Gp as can't drive - had a ridiculous conversation on the phone last week as my parents had to get a letter as they cancelled their holiday to look after me post op - think I actually spelt the word masectomy .... If it had been this week I would have been more lucid and been shirty! It's snowing here and I feel smug as I have ordered bio oil online and my weeks shopping x take care ladies x

Yay, well done Rose! Glad you're feeling a bit brighter today 

xx

Sharon

PS, brain in gear today, wrote (I have to say!) a brilliant letter to the police. Hopefully they'll retract the whole thing. Maybe.... xx

Aw, Beryl, how ridiculous!

I have to say my GP surgery was brilliant this morning. Receptionist actually listened, promised me a callback from a doctor which came in 10 mins, prescription ready at the desk within another 5.( I only live 2 mins walk away). Up till this, I'd only ever visited for annual asthma checks, and have to say I'm impressed.

Some people seem to enjoy piling on extra misery, don't they?  Hope you're sorted soon xxxx

Aaaargh

Trying to get a prescription for paracetomol as need alot more than you can buy over counter.

Receptionist - What sort of operation

Me - matsectomy

Hold on

Receptionist - what sort of operation did you say

me Mastectomy

R What date did you have it?

M 13th

R Have you used medicatiion from hospital

M yes - and extra storng stuff on prescription off you

R Can you phone back at 3.30, I only have an emergency doctor hereorm 

Now do I get a script or not? I know it's only paracetomol but I need more than the usual

Hiya

Feel a bit brighter myself today.

Surely if all else fails you could bare your boobs to the police and ask them to drive for 2 hours covered in micropore etc.

Cannot believe they would like negative publicity about it - thought - Macmillan do offer advice (legal) about nearly everything. Ask, Phone, e- mail, get advice - you need help from cancer experts about this and do it today, 

Hi rose - the pain is what downs my spirit - I had a horrifuc day yesterday but on advice upped my pain killers again and feel so much better today - it's good to do this right decision x been for a walk in our norfolk sunshine and feel better also x. I spoke to my insurance and they said if the hosp fine they were fine and my hosp said could drive when felt up to it - think that might be next week hopefully. I could probably drive now but don't want to push it after yesterday's 'relapse' x

Rosie xx pleased to hear you're calmer today. Just such rotten luck and timing. Can't honestly believe your insurance company would be happy for you to drive before the end of Feb. I was told 4 weeks and still not totally comfortable with the seat belt 4 months on. Thank goodness for winter coats and scarves for extra padding. My heart is with you as I'm a Hull girl and all my family live there so I visit regularly. Your Yorkshire grit will kick in and see you through. Keep taking the meds there's no need to suffer pain. Take care xxx

Good morning, ladies

Hope you are feeling ok? (Stupid question, of course you're not, but hope you're as well as you can be)

Got my calm head back on after last night's meltdown, though very tearful still.

I have written to the Police enclosing copies of my hospital correspondence and if this doesn't melt their stony hearts, nothing will.

Also gave in and have called my GP asking for stronger pain meds, it's so much worse this time round.

Feel better at taking action and determined to make today a better day than yesterday.

Judi, you are not that far away from me (in Hull) so very best wishes from one Yorkshire lass to another!

Love to all, Rose xxxx

Eileen - banish *swooshes wand* - not sure if they will cancel but they wouldn't want u to have a temp before op etc - plus you need your rest now - you don't want to be trying to sleep masking out sniffles!