Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnosed

Re: Recently diagnosed

Hi no sympathy then just a hug and love x x take care

Morning ladies😊X
Goodluck today Judi...hope it all goes smoothly and you get there safe and sound..I start mine next week XHugs
Rose just read about your driving course they are making you do...it's crazy.There are some real loonies on the road and they carry on driving around causing havoc,yet they are treating you this way?Totally unfair!X
Love Rachel

Eileen I had the same dilemma pre op. So dosed myself with Berocca and reluctantly sent hubby to the spare room.

Thinking of you today Judi xx gentle hugs

Thanks Sarah - plan to have a nice couple of days before the op - catch up with some friends and try to relax before starting the treatment.

Does anyone know if they will cancel the op if I have a cold? my husband has a stinker and I'm wondering if I should banish him to the spare room?? xx 

Hi judi x hope goes as well as possible today and will think of u xxx thought we were getting snow but it looks like summer out there today! I'm on a fb group for ladies who haven't had recon and quite a few of them were saying that they ate Manuka honey on chemo and it helped with any sickness etc - I realise there sometimes comes a point when there is just too much advice but thought I'd mention it xxx lots love to u x sarah

Hi ladies had a restless night mixture of nerves and steroids got a bag packed with lots of mags as i am there all day today first chemo session will let you know how i get on thought i might be snowed in and not have to go !!!!!!! not arrived in Scarborough yet Love to you all Judi xxxxxxxxxxxx

Quite sure they can Rosemary. I think the problem is that the Police are used to hearing people make up all kinds of excuses to get themselves out of trouble so they need some sort of proof of circumstances before they will treat it seriously.  So sorry you're having to deal with all this.  Stupid bl@@dy cancer indeed!

xx

Sharon

Never thought of that, Sharon, they may be able to arrange some kind of written mitigation?

My sister got off a speeeding charge once when the cop booking her saw another driver speed past and not stop when signalled to. Cop swore, sis acted outraged as if she'd never heard language like that in her life, and he let her off.

Never been to court, and now thinking it might be another new experience.

Life has been full of those recently... xxx

It's the side issues that get to us, isn't it? I'd happily(ish) pay a fine/ get points- clean licence up to now- but that wasn't offered. If I'm still in this frame of mind I should be able to sob them into submission.

And it's awful for you having to say no to what would in normal circumstances be a perfectly reasonable request from your daughter. STUPID B****Y CANCER!

xxxxxx

I used to work with someone who always made the police go to court - parking speeding always ! He was completely mad but said he liked watching them have to explain double yellow lines and get out his camera shots of faded yellows and ask all Columbo style " do you really think that this was a double yellow line officer?" - barking mad!! He always came away with a penalty and fine but made me laugh!! Probably been struck off now!

Oh Rose, no wonder you're feeling low but I'm sure your doctors wouldn't allow you to do a 2.5 hr drive under test conditions & there is no way the Police would allow this to get to Court as they would look unforgivably stupid & cruel once you explain your circumstances.  Looks like a case of bureaucracy triumphing over commonsense so I hope you can get hold of someone to sort it out tomorrow but if not, could you ask your BCN to give them a call and set them straight so you dont have to get bogged down with it?

xx

Sharon

I'm quite sure the bollard was at fault! It is this kind of thing that makes it all so hard - I've had a sad evening as told one of my girls id prefer it if she didn't go late night shopping tomorrow - it's stupid paranoia on my part but I can't drive yet and if anything happened wouldn't be able to get to her - she's already postponed once before for me. Shes been really good about it but my mind just doesn't seem to be able to cope with more than one thing at the moment ... You will speak to someone sensible tomorrow and explain you have has another operation and can't manage this until you have had results as you need to let body heal. Can't you just take some kind of penalty? Like speeding or something?

I could get to you in that time- might need a speeding course after, though!!! xx

I wish they were, Sarah. I keep getting horrible stern reminders. I may photocopy all my hospital letters and send them in- that might help? It's just something I really don't need at this time. I know what I did was foolish but the timing is so wrong, and the law isn't always very flexible xxx

Actually 2.5 hours? If you do have to do this make them head my way - I'll meet u at the pass for coffee!

Oh for gods sake. there are lunatics out there without any damn insurance and u have to deal with this- get a letter from your gp - I cannot believe that they would take you to court in the circumstances. 1.5 hours driving? They have got to be kidding - ....

The ridiculous thing that kicked this off is that I wrote off my car two days after diagnosis after hitting a bollard. Police got involved and I have to go on a driving for change course. I've been postponing it and postponing it and they're being really good but it has to be done before the end of Feb. I was going to book it it today, for next week, get it out of the way before the next set of results, then I read up about it. It's apparently a 2 1/2 hour practical driving session with a police assessor under test conditions rather than the classroom course I'd thought it'd be. I don't think I can handle that but the alternative is to go to court. It's just the last straw. I'll see if I can get hold of anyone in charge tomorrow, but all I've been told so far is they can only extend up to the end of Feb regardless of personal/medical circumstances.

xxx

Stupid cancer rose *hugs* - but they WILL have got it all this time x don't underestimate two generals - I've been advised that this is what has done me in a bit x it's all a bit three steps forward one back and I know u don't really want any sympathy but you get it from us all anyways - you take care xxxx you honestly are through the worst now x

Aww Rose, wish I was there to give you a big hug.  It's not sympathy, it's simply recognising that you're having a miserable time and you wouldn't be human if you didn't find that distressing, especially when you're tired and emotional post-surgery.  I've wept buckets following mine and it is only day 2 post-surgery so I think that's entirely reasonable!  Totally get the fear of mastectomy thing (my surgeon had mentioned that I might need it if this lumpectomy doesn't do the job) but whatever has to happen, you'll find a way to deal with it as will I but that doesn't mean we have to like it 😞  

Have you got some pain killers to help you through tonight?  There are no prizes for suffering remember, so do whatever you can to make yourself comfortable (sorry, I'm being a bossy boots again based on absolutely zero knowledge of course!)

xx

Sharon

There is moment where the reality arrives.

Mine reminded me - when it hit- of the Macmillan advert on the TV just before Christmas when people are just totally laid out by it but there is always someone to pick you up after - eg us lot on here

Give in sometimes, strangely you will feel 'better' for it

Berylx

Hi

Feeling absolutely rubbish tonight, don't remember feeling this sore and miserable after the first op, even though this was a much simpler procedure. Thinking may be due to disappointment at having to go back and apprehensive at the prospect of mx if they didn't get it all out this time? Whatever, I'm just really really down.No sympathy required, I'm a big girl and will get through this. About time the teary bit caught up with me, as all along it's been a surreal experience.

Having a big reality check tonight xxx

The Haven is a breast Cancer charity that offers counselling and complementary therapies, a phone no and advice and a lot more. There are 3 centres London, Leeds and Hereford. I am lucky because the Hereford one is within a reasonable distance to where I live in Worcestershire.

The Haven is a breast Cancer charity that offers counselling and complementary therapies, a phone no and advice and a lot more. There are 3 centres London, Leeds and Hereford. I am lucky because the Hereford one is within a reasonable distance to where I live in Worcestershire.

Think I'll finish looking around here and then call it a day - feeling tired now

B

I have a lovely soft v pillow from dunelm - a last minute purchase but vital I have found ( I also got a harder one but don't recommend that so much!) xx

Hi Beryl,

Sorry to hear you had a sad weepy time but glad help was there for you. What is the Haven?

Do you know I never even thought about pillow arrangements, that's something I'll have to add to my notes (fast becoming an epic tome). I can't sleep on my back at all, every time I try I have nightmares. Weird!

Thanks for your kind words on the other thread, looking at it as a series of steps is a good way to approach it. Hugs back to you xx

Rosie xxx

Beryl I'm so relieved to hear that The Haven was helpful, I'm going to phone them tomorrow to get some help as I really don't want to end up with any avoidable emotional problems, think I've already got enough unavoidable ones!

Managed a shower this morning and I'm very proud of myself for managing to get those ghastly support stockings back on again! I've got thigh high ones and they've given me muffin tops on my thighs which is not a good look under my jeans but hey ho, no one said cancer was attractive did they! 

Hope you're all doing OK

xx

Sharon

Hiya

I've been to the Haven today. Had some counselling - having sat in a bath this morniing sobbing (thought I was over doing that!) was a well timed appointment.

Had a good cry, said things I couldn't say about the Beast and my body to any one else, had another cry and came out feeling calmer. I was given a couple of things to do to help when I get really low.

Also given me a lot to thnk about.

I have to sleep on back supported in a half sitting postion so the implant doesn't move (flop) into the wrong postion. Not so bad now as the pillows are in the right place but just hope they are not moved!!!. as now it is relatively comfortable

Have slept better last couple of days anyway

Beryl xx

Hi Sarah, i'm chasing you around this forum. That takes an amazing strength of character to go through such a long period before treatment and here am i wingeing over a week's delay. just such a shock to the system as i've never had to cope with hospitals all my life apart from my tonsils out when i was a kid and a cyst removed about 10 years ago. Now i could find my way blindfolded to the Breast Cancer unit Cat Happy

Rosie xx

oh Rosie - I just posted on your other forumxxx this happened to me except I didnt get the advance warning. MRI is OK so dont worry about that. Noisy - bit like being on a building site but they give you earplugs. Like you say - they will be checking to ensure that they are making the best clincal decision for you. Its soooooo unbelievably hard at the time - I felt like I was running off adrenaline for fuel as I had a different test to contend with every week for 5 weeks (i was diagnosed on 27 Nov and had weekly tests until 24 December). But hold onto the thought that this is just part of your treatment plan now. Best wishes Sarah

@Rosie_Rabbit wrote:

I got a call to go in earlier than my 4pm appt, so I raced down to the hospital. My results were in but too late for the multi-disciplinary team's meeting, so I have to go back this Thursday morning to get the treatment plan. What they were able to tell me was that it is Grade 2 Ductal and it is 2cm in size and is also in the node. I will need chemo and surgery but they are not sure in what order. That'll be decided at the MDT meeting on Wednesday.

6 x chemo sessions, 3 weeks apart. No drain fitted after surgery and driving after 2 weeks with maybe an overnight stay but possibly out the same day.

More waiting, but at least I am more informed and ready to battle the "Dirty Ductal"

Rosie xxxxx

Not going to get the treatment plan this Thursday either - sigh! instead i have to go for an MRI scan as they need more info. i know deep down that the more info they collect the better they can target the treatment but i just feel some cosmic being is having fun seeing how far i can be stretched mentally. I now have to go in for the treatment plan on Friday 6th Feb.

Rosie xx

Hi
Wemblo - glad u found the article helpful - I also found it a good read as I am waiting doe next stages of treatment.
Eileen - try to enjoy the time off before your op - colleagues can say the wrong thing and I did find it a relief to not have to bump into a variety of different people! Don't dwell on what the rest of us have experienced - this forum is somewhere I think many of us 'off load' but getting treatment and clinical care is a relief and this is the overwhelming emotion I now feel despite it all!!!
Best wishes to you all - relapsed heavily onto painkillers today but understand that's how this rolls sometimes and feel better for using them!
sarah

@Rosie_Rabbit wrote:

Glad you're feeling better about it now.

This is a link to a pic I took of Eric the Squirrel helping himself to the contents of my DIY birdfeeder. I think he has a future in tea leaf reading Cat Happy Makes me smile every time I look at it!

Rosie xxx

PS Link didn't work - I'll be back shortly!

I said I'd be back!

This is the link to Eric the tea leaf reader-

http://crystalmooncat.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/introducing-eric.html

and this is the link to my fourteen and a half year old ginger cat Lily who has just been diagnosed with Dementia (3rd pic down). What a pair we are!

http://crystalmooncat.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/10-tips-on-how-to-photograph-your-cat.html

Hi all,

Yes i am trying to keep busy - still teaching this week which certainly doesn't leave much head space for any other worries. I am feeling calmer at the moment and trying to just get through each bit at a time. Sometimes reading ahead about what some of you are going through / have gone through is a bit scary - but everyone is so positive most of the time and we are all hanging on in there it seems! 

Reactions of other people at work a bit odd sometimes - and then I feel bad for upsetting them DOHHHHH. Stupid man yesterday said Oh I hear you've been bunking off and students were telling me you are going to be doing it again. So just bluntly said yes as i have breast cancer! He was embarrassed -and i felt guilty for being so blunt. On the other hand - why should I?? 

My step-daughter sent me a huge bunch of yellow roses yesterday which was lovely

Last day at work tomorrow for a while. Love to everyone  xxxx

Morning ladies😊
Sandie you did make me giggle about your hair!That would be me...forgetting I'd cut all my hair off and frightening myself!How does it feel to have it short?X
Sarah...can relate to your sleeping troubles,even 6 weeks after my Masectomy,still can't get comfortable in bed and get sore shoulders in the morning...X
Sarah(getting mixed up as two Sarah's ?!)...sounds like you have nearly finished all your treatment?how do you feel?X
Judi...how did the pre chemo go lovely?Mine is next Tuesday X
Hugs Rachel xx

Sarah xx as I'm further down the line than most of you I'm dealing with other 'issues' and this article is excellent. It may not seem relevant yet but ladies I suggest you bookmark this for future reference. I've an appointment with my onc on Friday 8 weeks after finishing rads. And believe me 8 weeks leads to a lot of questions, I've written them all down, hope she's got plenty of time. However today I'm waiting for blood test results from my doc to discount anaemia/ thyroid problems.

I'm halfway through this article whilst eating my cornflakes, it puts a lot of my fears into perspective. Thankyou Sarah xx

With so many of us reaching to the preventative side I thought I'd just post this article that I have found quite helpful x http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/Peter%20Harvey%20-%20After%20the%20Treatment%20Finishes%20then%2...

For those starting out ~ it helped me make sense of some of my feelings and I can certainly identify with the " still afloat" anology. I know others have found it helpful to explain to family the emotional impact of this physically hard disease!
Anyways ,,, plan to sleep today as seem to be in Australia hours x
Hope u are staying busy Eileen - not long now x

Hi judi x rocket launch! Hope it goes wellx
Laughed at bathroom mirror story also x I'm looking v pale still - could give woman in black a run for her money!
Had a rough night last night - don't know why - actually had slept through night before ! Been in a lot of discomfort - I'm well and truly fed up of trying to sleep on my back surrounded by pillows ! Just have to keep reminding myself that this won't last forever x best wishes to everyone x s

Sandie you've just made me howl with laughter at frightening yourself in the mirror! Smiley LOL 

oI can imagine looking in a mirror and seeing a stranger - ha ha ha

Hi Sandie

there is someone opened a thread - 'Newbie Invasive Lobular'

Who needs advice about how to tell her little ones what is happening. Thought you may be able to help

Beryl xx

Hi Ladies had my pre chemo assesment today more tests done ready for Thursday morning results from muga scan were fine well up into the sixties so fingers crossed we have lift off hope all my friends are ok Love Judi xxxxxxxxxxxx

I had white socks too, felt like an anime character,  although I bet their legs are better shaved than mine were! 

I didnt realise I supposed to wear them home, oops. 

Going in today for pre assessment for my portacath surgery on friday. Might try on some wigs gor giggles. 

Wasnt going to cut my hair as figure there was no point when its just going to fall out anyway. However I was strolling past the barber yesterday and just stepped in.. hellooo 80s short back and sides! 

Just about had a heart attack when I got up to the loo at 2am!  Totally forgot I did that! it was shoulder length

Mwahahaha! 

I reckon peeling that tape is the most horrible sensation!  Ick hugs

Sandie

Mine were white as well

also really hard to peel off!!

White ones? U get all the good stuff in hull ; its to compensate for the path delays! I posted about socks and most said two weeks but they key is mobility and I don't think u have any problem with that Sharon ! I took mine off after 11 days in the end for s proper shower and couldn't get them back on - as my teenage daughters had fallen about laughing earlier when I got stuck in my t shirt ( I know ... Hopeless! ) decided rather then face the humiliation of getting help I would just up the exercise - seems to be ok.

PS My BCN gave me that exercise leaflet - just done some (angel smiley)

I finally stopped wearing my elegant socks yesterday (2 weeks) my fashionista daughter thought they were hilarious especially the little hole on the sole of them.. I would think support tights would do, or maybe just a long floaty dress and knee high boots!!!! (well it is supposed to snow!!!!)

My new boob really aches if it (therefore me) goes out in the cold!!

Beryl

First time I used a pair of flight sox as spares I already had- think I got them from ebay?- but I think you can get them in supermarkets . This time I'm spoilt. Got a pair and a spare given yesterday, plus already had the ones from round 1. But if you rinse them out they do dry pretty quickly xx

Ooh, good question! I've got my disgusting green support socks on as I type and will need to buy some more if we have to wear them for 2 weeks.  Any idea where to buy the best ones at the lowest cost?

xx

Sharon

I was told 2 weeks, but think support tights might do the trick for the day? (my sox are white, like some sort of saucy schoolgirl look!!!!)