69838members
367084posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnosed

Re: Recently diagnosed

Aw bless you. Those surgical sox are delightful. Mine were a yucky shade of green 😳 and as no one told me how long I should wear them for I abandoned them after 2/3 days wasn't that long enough?? I think a long dress is a great idea xx

I got a pass on the exercises for the next few days. No more wall walking for a while! Now planning how to camouflage the surgical sox at my niece's wedding on Saturday. Determined to wear a dress, might have to make it a long one xx

Haha - was just going to post it also! I HATE these exercises now!!!! Blimey Sharon - 3 hours walking amazing but please sit down and rest! Don't underestimate the impact of a general and the post op drugs - you have adrenaline it's for your body to fix you !!!
I also wanted to emphasise how important I think it is that no one dismisses their personal circumstances or feels in any way guilty for how they feel compared to others etc - it's your life and of course you feel crap sometimes ( as you know me usually on that depressed line much more than the rest of you) - you are free here to vent laugh cry .... No guilt allowed!
I must be feeling a bit better today - I got all bossy then!

Thanks Wemblo, just found one on this site to download 🙂 Ack, I see I'm far too late!

Hehe! 😊

SNAP! xx

Hi All,

I've attached a link to the BCC booklet on exercises to do after breast cancer surgery:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc6-exercises-after-breast-cancer-surgery.p...

I hope this helps

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Found it 😄

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/getting-fitter-feeling-stron...

Hope the link works. They're almost the same excercise my physio recommended.

Sharon. I had WLE and SNB and was given instructions and a booklet from a physio before my op re excercises. They start from day 1 after the op with simple things like shoulder shrugging. I also found a download with them on but can't quite locate it again now. I'll keep looking but someone else might come up with it before I find it xx

Thanks Sarah, I know that compared to most and compared to you in particular I've had it easy and cosmetic worries really don't matter.  I don't plan to have any more surgery unless it is a medical necessity and I think that's part of the reason I found it so upsetting to end up in such a state. Still, I'll learn to live with it now.

Does anyone know if I am supposed to be doing some particular exercise now that the surgery is done?  The hospital didn't mention it but I know some of you were told to do some or is it just for people who had different surgery to me (I had WLE and SNB)?  I was planning to carry on walking as much as I can anyway (spent about 3hrs walking around the hospital in the early hours of this morning), but wondered if I should do something more, e.g. arm exercises?

Thanks ladies

xx

Sharon

I am using Micropore also ( hahah - when I first typed this it autocorrected to Microsoft!! - if only!) but I've run out after shower today so will just let it be when this lot falls off - trust me ladies I am a walking horror picture..double incision on my left side not something I like to loiter over! ....and I smell weird .....but u'know - it's funny what you get used to x still adjusting and Sharon I understand the shock ~ and why you would want To go to another hospital but see if they can correct for you first once you are more healed. It's amazing what they can do with plastic surgery nowadays - I'm unlikely to let them out me under the knife again after my last experience but might get them to fix up the bits that haven't been tidied to my satisfaction ( Sarah Standard my children call it!) Btw - I haven't driven for three weeks and thought id better turn over the engine and car windscreen cracked have had to order to get it replaced! - go figure!!!! But pre BC that's the kind of thing I used to dwell on for ages - now I'm just like "haha - Thats life" - little positives

Good choice, Sharon! For me, this is the worst part of the whole thing! (#beingatotalbaby) xx

Just read your comment Rosemary and decided to stick with the superglue after all! *throws up in nearest bucket*

xx

Sharon

Hi Beryl,

Posted a long woeful message on my 'How long does surgery take' thread about my surgery yesterday as I was feeling very sorry for myself but as always you lovely ladies have picked me right back up again.  I'm home and pain free (except sore throat from intubation) but the surgery took much more tissue than I had been lead to expect and has left me looking awful.  I know that shouldn't matter as it's only cosmetic but it was a shock and made me lose faith in my clinical team as I think they should have warned me instead of just saying it would hardly show 😞

Results in 10 days and if I need more surgery I'm going to ask to be referred to a different hospital but at least it is only 10 days 🙂

How are you doing?  Healing OK now?

xx

Sharon

Hi Beryl- I've been "sticking myself together" since the main dressings were taken off back on NYE. I don't do it every day, was told to change it when it looks "tacky"as it's safe to let it get wet. I feel utterly, literally sick every time I have to do it. Terrified of something coming adrift with the tape. Mine is to support and heal the stitching around the nipple and last time I changed it, just before my 2nd op, there seemed to be an opening where the stitches had vanished so I just stuck it back straight on, and nearly threw up! (Sorry to be so graphic).

Still queasy when i think about it xxx

Just asked on other thread but will ask again

- how you doing Sharon?

I has glue as well!!!!, Now it's just micropore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beryl

Very glad to know you're doing OK Rosemary after what was YOUR LAST SURGERY *shakes fist at gods of breast cancer surgery in threatening way* and laughed about your micropore comment.  Bit jealous actually, I seem to be stuck together with some sort of clear glue but I haven't wanted to inspect it too closely yet!

Tht comment about being held together by micropore made me laugh

I am as well. Was given a large roll of it at the hospital and am supposed to stick myself together after every shower to reduce the scarring

Only thing is I just can't mange to get to/see the underneath the new boob bit

berylx

Rose xx so,pleased to see your posts sounds like all went well. Just need to invent that time machine now, forget developing new drugs , Time travel is what we cancer warriors need xx

Hi Rose Ouch - hope soreness goes soon. Thanks for your good luck message and I won't be at all offended if you forget the day! Sounds like you've got a lot to deal with yourself. Do hope you get some good news in 3 weeks time xx

Thanks Sandie - maybe I'll just say lump then - makes it sound more manageable. I'll try and avoid the squinty eyes though. Bad enough that my contact lenses now make my eyes too sore to wear - Funny how the "lump" puts everything into perspective.Up until last week I was fretting about growing old - now I just hope I do xx 

Thank you x

Hi Sandie! Same here, my front path is starting to look like the entrance to Sleeping Beauty's castle.

Virtual text sent to you as soon as I came round. I know how distraught you must have been while waiting for news...!

Thanks for the giggles xxx

Eileen...goodluck for next Wednesday😊X
Lynda..goodluck for Thursday😊....hope I've not forgotten any of you lovely ladies X

Evening ladies😊X
Just having a catch up with you...
Love your photo Rosie,I have 3 cats,love them so much😊...I'm glad you got your results and now you know what's going on...I'm Ductal also.Sounds like you was in the same position as me,except I had mx first and Chemo x 6 starting soon.Hugs Rachel X
Beryl hope your feeling ok and the pain has subsided ?X
Rose...rest well lovely and take it easy X
Sarah...know what you are talking about re work,don't think people really think sometimes before they make comments or say something,my work colleagues are all quite young and don't really bother much with me at all since I've been off...don't even want to go back 😕!!Big hugs lovely,just let it wash over you..XxxxRachel

Rose... text me baby. 😉 Hugs, got my fingers crossed for you this timexxx
Ladies im thinking of you all just csn never remember names once I get to typing, xx

Hi ladies,  

Eileen..in our house I whisper cancer and have squinty eyes...

I also have the mission impossible theme stuck in my head permanantly.. its an odd word to apply to ourselves, it still surprises me. I think its really hard telling family.  xxx. I waited till I had a slight plan and then just refferred to it as a lump that needed removing,  possibly because I don't often think of it as cancer myself.  Stupid cancer. 

As for the bra comment. .... facepalm. That needs to go in the things you shouldnt say to a cancer patient thread.  Xx

Im going outside to hack a path to the front gate so the chemo nurse can get to my door... although he seems like a knight in shining armour I think the agapanthas may prove difficult with only a thermometer and a file box as weapons. 

Love and hugs. Thinking of you

Xxx

Sandie

Rose. - look at you massive post after general! You will be like the Dfs sale this time - total clearance don't u worry xxxxxx hope not too sore x sleep well

Good evening!

Home, sore and held together with micropore tape!

Everything seems ok and went well. However- and why do I persist in asking questions to which I really don't want to know the answer? - because the tumour is in an awkward place, if they didn't get full clearance this time, the only option will be a mastectomy. I find out in 3 weeks. Waiting again...

Rosie, sorry about  your news, but at least you know what you are dealing with and have your plan. PS I am a cat lady too, but not quite up to my mum's level. She had 17 fostered cats when she died. Rehoming them was fun, I can tell you! love your profile pic.

Beryl, how excited are you about the wedding? My daughter got married 5 years ago, perfect day, love reflecting on it. A year later, almost to the day, i was present at her c-section when her gorgeous identical twin girls popped into the world!

Eileen, good luck for next Wednesday. I tend to lose track of days, so may forget to say this nearer to the time.

Lynda, very best wishes for Thursday! (see above)

Sarah- good to see you're rising above the insensitivities. Hope you're enjoying your peaceful week xxx

Off for a nap now, it's been a long, long day- oh, have to say, my consultant came for a pre-op chat and greeted me with "Hi, Rose, how are you doing?". Loved that informality!

Talk to you all tomorrow

Love, Rose xx

PS Those I didn't directly mention doesn't mean I don't care- just run out of energy!!

Thanks Sarah - I am sure you are right about google and I will try to avoid the temptation to look. My op is Wednesday next week.  x

Hi rosie
I really feel for you having to go back but, like you say, at least you have some understanding of what kind of cancer you are now dealing with and focus on getting well now x step at a time xx
Eileen - stay off google if you can - tends to just plant lots of other ideas! I can't remember what day your op is? The hardest thing was telling my parents (84 & 73) but have to say they were great at handling the news x
You both take care x
Sarah

Good day at work as operation fixed for next week so thought I'd be better being busy - which I was! Too much thinking and obsessive googling  not such a good idea. Waitingis horrible too - now I know I need an op I just want to get on  with it . ... Not sure I'll be saying that next week though. Told my son yesterday and step-daughter too so everyone who really matters now knows and I can be open with everyone else. Except I havent told my parents - both in their late 80s so the C -word something they whisper still. Planning to see them next weekend so I guess I'll just have to downplay it so as not to worry them too much. So good to be able to offload here. Love to everyone xx

I got a call to go in earlier than my 4pm appt, so I raced down to the hospital. My results were in but too late for the multi-disciplinary team's meeting, so I have to go back this Thursday morning to get the treatment plan. What they were able to tell me was that it is Grade 2 Ductal and it is 2cm in size and is also in the node. I will need chemo and surgery but they are not sure in what order. That'll be decided at the MDT meeting on Wednesday.

6 x chemo sessions, 3 weeks apart. No drain fitted after surgery and driving after 2 weeks with maybe an overnight stay but possibly out the same day.

More waiting, but at least I am more informed and ready to battle the "Dirty Ductal"

Rosie xxxxx

Thanks Chez xxx

I  think 'blue' moments are all part of ot. Can't help thinking work was well meaning but not thought thrpugh - best leave it a couple of days and then respond.

Had some searing pains in new part of me this morning, made it hard to catch a breath but think that was this nerve healing sensation.

Hope all goes well for results day - will think of you Rosie. It's the waiting. When I went last week there was another very 'stressed' couple waiting as well, my daughter was full of wedding plans as she had just found her ideal venue and the other couple joined in, they said it sounded fun, and then we all relaxed - just saying find something happy/relaxing to think about.

Just being chased out for a walk Back later

berylxx

Sorry may not sound right but i know what I mean - positiveity

Glad you're feeling better about it now.

This is a link to a pic I took of Eric the Squirrel helping himself to the contents of my DIY birdfeeder. I think he has a future in tea leaf reading Cat Happy Makes me smile every time I look at it!

Rosie xxx

PS Link didn't work - I'll be back shortly!

thx both - Blue Monday moment passed...got busy sorting out paying bills etc and feel a bit better. Good advice to wait to respond - have rationalised and gone from 's*d off' to 'thanks'
😉 - helps to vent here sometimes.
Couldnt see the piccies Rosie for some reason - but can fully imagine cute photos and thought cheered me alone!
S

I think these things hide round corners ready to pounce when we are feeling vulnerable. Perhaps wait a while before replying, when you are in a better place? Or maybe just reply and say thanks for doing the Race for Life but ignore the bra question.

I got an email from Pinterest this morning declaring that today is known as Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year and here are some cute cat and dog pics to cheer you up.

You have to laugh!

Rosie xxxx

Hello lovely, of course is it okay to be upset, you have gone through major surgery twice, had to start to deal with something enormous, been an active member of the forum keeping us all motivated and no doubt trying not to upset your daughters and parents......and there is still a few more journeys to deal with. Am sure when you feel a bit better, the text can be seen for what it is which I am sensing is their way of showing support and I am also guessing you are a strong resilient women and they find it easier to think of you in that way. Big hugs, lots of love and above all a big well done on the walk, that really is a step forward out of this chapter. Ps suggest you reply when you are feeling a little better, there's no hurry and it was probably rhetorical x x x x

Ok ~ is it ok if I'm upset? I've just been for a five min walk - lovely to feel sun on my face and get out of the house. I was having one of those living in the minute rare moments and felt relaxed - it's winter so I get to wear a big coat and no one sees I've got no boobs! - all good. But then I ger home and get a keeping in touch text from my work line manager whet she informs me the staff are doing race for life and " some of them are worried they might not be able to get sports bras with enough structural support " - I know it's meant fun and because I am usually laughing at work she won't have thought it through .. But honestly? I'm here all welled up. - I loved my boobs they were in good proportion to my body - i used to don my sports bra twice a week due dancing and running - I haven't done either for two months. I honestly don't know why this has hit me so hard ....I was feeling so good after my wAlk. So my question is - do I have to respond to her text ? She's my manager ... Rose would love this one! Race for life too!!
Sorry to moan x sarah

Rosie good luck for today x x
Gazzlhn good luck for Thursday x x

Rosie xxx you have done brilliantly in the wait - pat yourself on your shoulder xxx you will be fine and we are all here for you xx
Sarah

Hi Rosie😊....big hugs and wishes coming your way...you will be absolutly fine lovelyX
Rachel xxxx

Wishing you the best of news for today Rosie, I hope its all positive big hugs to you xxx Its my results Thursday and I am already feeling anxious about it. I hope your posting on here later telling us the good news xx

My two week wait for my results is nearly over. My appt is for 4pm today. This forum has really helped me get through it and now I'm counting down the hours. Every little ache or pain or tightness in the chest has been amplified but i'm telling myself this is just down to stress.

I am trying to be positive but 'what if it's too late?' keeps surfacing. I need a prayer or two to help me today.

Rosie xxxx

Thanks - had a nice relaxing weekend where I managed to forget about it for whole minutes at a time! So glad this forum exists and happy that there's some good news this morning for Beryl xx

Had a good laugh at the suggestions for Rose's family

I agree folk just don't get it - there's the you don't look ill ones  - the will you be able to do anything

No one realises the psycho trauma we all are going through, (unseen)

So ladies it's good to laugh

(Oh my I have a cough - it is agony I feel as if the implant is going to explode everytime I cough, also hurts to laugh - so sore)

Big breath - ok - I agree - we 'just get on with it' and I am exhausted with having to update all my well wishers sometimes. It's like they are all wondering when I'm going to be 'up and about' - as you know I've been flummoxed post op but have had to brave face for my girls. Unhelpfully they were told by a friend at school that 'her aunt had that Breast cancer and she wAs all sorted in two months' - I had two pairs of expectant eyes looking at me as I took a big breath and explained oncology and bilateral masectomy and .... I'm glad others feel good and cope and move on quickly. It's not very visible Brest cancer - even recovery is sorted with foobs and stuff - those that have seen just some of my bruising seem to " get it " I wonder if we could all somehow convey telepathically what it's like it might be easier x anyways - you should be getting a good nights sleep x take care xxx

Thanks, Sarah!

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but are we sometimes our own worst enemies when it comes to getting recognition and respect?

We are brave little soldiers, fighting with all our might, putting on a smiley face and focussing on the positives to save other people's feelings.

They can then do something like run Race for Life (I am NOT disrespecting the people who do that, not at all. It's just in an example in this context) and feel that they have done their bit.

Everyone knows someone who has been "cured" and will tell us about it to "reassure" us.However, I also know people who have come out of this and regained their health,and I also knew people who didn't.

I'm not saying we should go round telling everyone every awful detail of treatment and feelings, but because this is mostly a women's disease and women do cope generally without making a fuss, somehow breast cancer seems to be mainly perceived as a minor cancer, probably a bit worse than flu, but definitely less than mouth ulcers (see previous post!).

Just random thoughts, I don't know how or if anything could or should be changed.

Open for discussion!

Love Rose xx