Recently diagnosed

Been trying to stay positive for the last couple of weeks but now getting worried about all the waiting around. Went to the drs 4 weeks ago with breast pain, I was told not to worry it would most likely be a cyst as I am young (35). After a whole day at hospital they suspected the worst. Got my results last week and I have grade 3 invasive ductal that has spread to my lymph nodes. I will have bone and ct scan in next couple of weeks. The lump is about 4cm, they are giving me chemo then surgery and prob radiotherapy, I’m scared coz the lump is big and It feels horrible, just dont understand all this waiting and why can’t they do surgery first. I’m worried the longer I wait that it will spread more.

Hi, I feel for you, I am also recently diagnosed and have just started on hormone treatment as strongly ER+, if this impacts on tumour likely to stay on this for 6 months before mastectomy. My lymph nodes are enlarged and FNA showed atypical/borderline cells. I am very aware of changes in breast and worried about it spreading, expected surgery as first step in treatment. The wait for results and treatment plan is awful but I am sure your team will make the best plan for you.

You sound very similar to me.  My cancer was confirmed on Thursday and they want to do chemo first, then surgery.  My consultant told me they want to do it that way round to minimse the risk of local recurrence, and with chemo they can see what effect a particular kind is having on the tumour.  If they do sugery first, there is no way of knowing of the chemo is doing its job.  The waiting around for ct, mri and bone scans is horrible, nd I am doing my best to keep active (both in mind and body).  Good luck with things x

Hi. I’m similar . After being told only be a cyst I got the news on 4 march the lump was cancer and there’s also cells in lymph. I’ve got all my scans this week. I’m worried it’s got time to spread whilst waiting but the doctor said it won’t change in two weeks. From what I’ve seen on this site, this waiting part is the worst . I have two young children (5 and 3) to keep me busy and trying to stay positive but sometimes it just waves over you. Be kind to yourself - it’s ok to have a cry. I hope you get your scan dates through soon so you are not in the waiting area too long. Tracey x

I have been dx with same type as you…but my lump was 2x the size. No pain, but lump just seem to be there one day so initially thought this can’t be BC as its so large. My treatment plan is the same…initially surprised as expected surgery, a few weeks to recover and that would be it. But felt reassured that it was the right plan because doctors stressed surgery would not deal with any spread and may give me options in terms of what type of surgery I could have if tumour shrinks. Hope you get scan dates soon and your treatment starts asap because only then do you feel like something is happening to help you recover.

Hi Fluffydave,
Please don’t be too alarmed about the size of your tumour. I had a 3.7cm tumour removed over 17 months ago and continue to do well. Because my cancer was lobular, it only showed up as 1.5cm on scan. If they had realised that the cancer was over 3cm, they would probably have given me chemo first. I am lead to believe by my colleagues who work in path labs (biochemistry is my speciality) that all new available data points to having chemo first giving the best outcome on tumours over 3cm. As already mentioned, this is because they can see exactly how well the chosen chemo regimen is working. It allows them to chop and change chemotherapy to suit your individual needs. Also, overall grade 3 tumours do seem have a better response to chemo than lower grade tumours. I hope this has helped settle your mind a little. Wishing all you all the best for your future treatment. Ann x

Thank you all for your reassurance. was worried all this waiting around means it is growing bigger. hopefully i will hear from the hospital today about my scans. Feeling a lot more postive today after a good nights sleep, think that was what was needed as iv had a few bad nights. Julie x

I have been dx with same type as you…but my lump was 2x the size. No pain, but lump just seem to be there one day so initially thought this can’t be BC as its so large. My treatment plan is the same…initially surprised as expected surgery, a few weeks to recover and that would be it. But felt reassured that it was the right plan because doctors stressed surgery would not deal with any spread and may give me options in terms of what type of surgery I could have if tumour shrinks. Hope you get scan dates soon and your treatment starts asap because only then do you feel like something is happening to help you recover.

This is really interesting, as I have an 8cm tumor and I’m having mastectomy then chemo.and radio x

The ultra sound hasn’t shown anything but they said they won’t know until they operate and take some out to biopsy them. I don’t have an opportunity date or anything yet. :frowning:

Op (sorry predictive text)

I’m also having my chemo first. I met with consultant yesterday who confirmed that cancer is present in breast and lymph gland biopsies. But although I have had bone and ct scans I havent been told what type or stage mine is at. But I’m meeting my oncologist on Monday so It sounds like every hospital does things slightly differently. But try not to worry too much I’m sure your team will put together the right care for you.

I have my ct scan next Friday, it seems like ages to wait and my lump now feels massive. I swear it’s getting bigger. Sorry I know I’m prob being paranoid but having a down day today. My whole body feels like it is aching

Good to hear you have all the appointments through for your scans, I hope they all go ok. I’m still waiting to hear about my bone scan, I might give them a call tomorrow and find out

Hi T3D and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read you are feeling so low today, in addition to the valuable support you have found here pleas feel free to call our helpliners, they are on hand with a listening ear for you on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

Here’s a link to further support and information from BCC which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi T3D sorry to hear you are having a bad day, I think Iv realised now that we are going to get dats like this. I hope my boob starts to feel better soon, i had my biopsy a week ago so still feels quite sore. Hope you are feeling better tomorrow, Julie x

Glad to hear the results were good from your ct scan :slight_smile:

Hi. I was just diagnosed on Thursday large lump on right breast and the needle test showed cancer cells in a swollen lymph under my right armpit. The left breast is clear. Is anyone being treated in the Ulster Hospital Dundonald?

Lol T3D, the things we do for chocolate :slight_smile: I’m not doing to bad. Had a bit of a cry this morning but loads better now x